Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMS or Text WITHOUT cell or home phone - is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMS or Text WITHOUT cell or home phone - is it possible?

Is it possible to send a text message from Homeseer without hooking up a cell phone or home line?
    I currently use a Primus computer only talk broadband line. Will that work?
    Are there 3rd party subscription services for this that work quickly with good response times?
    Any comments would be appreciated!

you might have luck with one of the Betamax VOIP providers (like voipbusterpro for example)

Comment

See this thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176047
      Mike

Comment

Give Mysms a try.

Comment

Plenty of gateways out there, just search for SMS-email gateway or such like. I used one in the UK that had a full web API and I could send the messages from HomeSeer by a script. I used it for years before going to push message based notifications.

Comment

You can send text message thru a email. For example for Verizon its:

The number@vtext.com
            Hector
            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I wrote a Twillow.com SMS integration HS3 C# script that should work with internet connection only. I've posted the code here to this forum recently. There are minor costs for using a twillow.com account, about $2/month for 100 outbount TXTs. It also seems to be very low latency (a very few seconds).

Comment

Agreed with @Rotech. Every cellular phone company has some version of
                (123)456-7890@whatever.xxx

I use Verizon so it's my phone number at vtext.com

Comment

Here over the years been tinkering with an old Ericcson W25 modem. It is utilized today as my failover telephone, internet connection with PFSense and works well.

Original purchase price of a refurbished device was $35 USD from Australia. At one time these devices were commonplace.

Relating to SMS you can telnet to the device and issue modem commands for SMS. You can pinhole the connection via the firewall or just connect to an ethernet port or WLAN connection.

Recently also found that there are console serial pins on the W25 modem board which you can utilized for direct serial connectivity.

I am using said device with a T-Mobile account. Recently noticed that I have to tickle the transport to keep the internet alive and T-Mobile too is now throttling the LTE tethering connection down to 3G speeds (W25 is a 3G device that has been tested to go to 6Mb). My small and portable ZTE device lets you text but USB port is only for charging the wireless modem device.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X