Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS3 Speaker Client code? I want to make a Pi3 client using Win10 IoT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,

I'm new to HomeSeer but I'm loving it so far!

I'd like to have various HS3 speaker clients around my home, so I'm thinking it would be cool to use a Raspberry Pi 3 to host them. I could buy a small cheap USB-powered speaker and plug it into the Pi, and it wouldn't cost me a fortune in power. I'd preferably like to run the client on Win10 IoT. I'm a developer at Microsoft, so I'm partial to their products . Plus, Win10 IoT on the RPi3 is pretty sweet and easy to use, and I'm guessing the Speaker client code is probably already written in .NET so I'd hope it wouldn't be too hard to port it over to a Universal project so that it could run on IoT.

Anyway, a few questions. First, is there already a speaker client for the Pi (Linux, Windows, or otherwise)? Second, is there reference code available for making a speaker client, or would it be possible for me to get access to such code? I looked around for answers to both those questions. I found some references to using Squeezebox on Linux but I was hoping for something more direct.

Thanks!

What a great idea! Win 10 IoT based pi speaker clients would great! I bet you need to contact Rich directly for the code though. I'm not sure how open it is currently, but perhaps something could be done to change that. There is a chance he won't see this post so you should pm, email or (gasp) call him directly.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

I imagine that you could sell a plugin for this if you made one. There is a lot of interest in this floating around the forum.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks guys. I spent some time yesterday and created a proof-of-concept UWP speaker client app that is capable of receiving speech text messages from HS3. I probably should have verified that W10 IoT has some kind of Text-to-speech capabilities before I did any of this. I'm hoping it does, but if it doesn't then... I suppose I'll have to lobby to get it added.

At any rate, I probably won't have time to pick it up again until late in the week, but even without source, I'm hoping this will be possible. At this point it rests on the capabilities built into the IoT platform.

Comment

I had a few minutes tonight so I did some more research and coding. Turns out W10 UWP has all the TTS libraries built in. It was about 6 lines of code to make it start talking the messages it got from HS3. I've been running my proof-of-concept app for about an hour, sending it messages to speak every now and then. Seems to be working. So yeah, that's a good sign.

Last step is to actually try to deploy it to a Pi and see if it works on there. I'll grab a Pi when I get a minute (probably in the next week or so) and give it a shot.

Comment

I'm really interested in a Raspberry Pi speaker client! How's the Windows 10 IoT project going?

Comment

+10

Nice project : RPI3 speaker all over the house !!

Comment

Absolutely fantastic..can't wait!!!! My credit card is getting itchy!! Wife will be unhappy again!!

Comment

+1 Can't wait
                  Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
                  Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

I missed this post when it came up...

+1 for this as well. I'd be very interested.
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thx for bring it TTT...

I have a Pi3 sitting on my desk running Windows 10 IOT and also raspbian...
                      I saw a new raspbian was released...
                      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Interested and following along.

Comment

I have interest as well. Either win 10 or pure Linux speaker client. My 2 cents and preference would be Linux but will take whatever is being developed.

Comment

How is this coming along? I have an RPI that is not doing anything ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't had a chance yet, but the latest designer that Rich made includes an update Linux version of the client. I know the older one wouldnt allow speaker to work, I do have hopes for this newer version but it's lower on my HA list right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X