At home? Away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At home? Away?

So, how do I set up HS to know that I'm at my house, or away?

I was thinking that I'd use BLRouterMonitor to check if my smartphone is connected. Or, is there another method?

Take a look at PHLocation and set up geofences. I've found it pretty unreliable to monitor a smartphone as they tend to go to sleep and not respond to pings.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I just use no motion for x minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelK View Post
        So, how do I set up HS to know that I'm at my house, or away?

I was thinking that I'd use BLRouterMonitor to check if my smartphone is connected. Or, is there another method?
        I use my alarm system. If it is "armed away" then we're not in!
        Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
          I use my alarm system. If it is "armed away" then we're not in!
          That's my way as well.

Comment

As said, if you have an alarm system which HS can monitor, use it.

Myself, I use motion by tracking the last motion sensor activated. If the last one happens to be the one at the door, which has a short Off time, I set away when it turns off. This has never failed me and it's completely automatic.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I do mine on the basis of door locks (if locked from the inside or outside) and time of day.

I wanted to use IFTTT and smartphone position, but I find the reports from it to be too sporadic (probably because the smartphones go to sleep).

Comment

I use my alarm system as well. I find that the motion sensors attached to the alarm, work far better than the z-wave motion sensors. Also, the alarm has door and window sensors which are great for event triggering.

- Robert

Comment

At home? Away?

I've been using a combination of PHlocation and jon00's network monitor for years. Works like a charm. A device joining the wifi occasionally happens before PHlocation has updated a device to Home, to switch the silent alarm off. You'll see what I mean. With location tracking you can control heating when near home too (without buying a nest).
                  Both are free and VERY good.

Comment

At home? Away?

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
                    I do mine on the basis of door locks (if locked from the inside or outside) and time of day.

I wanted to use IFTTT and smartphone position, but I find the reports from it to be too sporadic (probably because the smartphones go to sleep).

I also have very poor reliability from the IFTTT. I really can't use it for anything.

For Occupancy I use a hallway motion sensor. The first time it is triggered it sets a "someone home" flag. The flag gets reset every day at 3AM. I use this as a condition of almost all my lighting and HVAC events.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I use a combination of everything:
                      PHLocation
                      IP Pings from Ihpone
                      the best is Hallway combined with main door sensor: if door is set to close and no PIR triggers whint the next 60 sec. we must have left via the door.

PHLocation is great for incomming and leaving events.

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                      I also have very poor reliability from the IFTTT. I really can't use it for anything.

For Occupancy I use a hallway motion sensor. The first time it is triggered it sets a "someone home" flag. The flag gets reset every day at 3AM. I use this as a condition of almost all my lighting and HVAC events.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Best,
                      Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

Working...
                      X