ISY Plugin X10 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISY Plugin X10 Support

Can you explain the X10 support in the plugin. I realize that the ISY can send receive X10 but you can't add devices unless you purchase the additional X10 module. How does the plugin work with and without the additional ISY module? I guess my hope is I can have an X10 device in HS (don't really care if it's in the ISY) but still want to control with my PLM. Is that possible or do I need the ISY X10 module or a separate X10 interface?

Thanks!

Bump

Comment

Sorry Heatvaent, I didn't see this post show up the other day.

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
      Can you explain the X10 support in the plugin. I realize that the ISY can send receive X10 but you can't add devices unless you purchase the additional X10 module. How does the plugin work with and without the additional ISY module? I guess my hope is I can have an X10 device in HS (don't really care if it's in the ISY) but still want to control with my PLM. Is that possible or do I need the ISY X10 module or a separate X10 interface?

Thanks!
      With the option X10 module installed on the ISY, X10 devices should show up as normal device nodes. They'll respond to normal device commands, on/off/bright/dim. I don't think there's any real support for much beyond the standard switch or plug modules, but I don't have any X10 left to play with.

Without the X10 module, the ISY can send/receive X10 commands. Mostly this is used by programs. Those ISY programs are supported by the plug-in. You can create a program on the ISY that sends an X10 command and call that program from the plug-in.

The plug-in can also send X10 commands through the ISY. This is available through the ISY device actions in HomeSeer but is limited to sending just on and off commands.

The ISY should send out messages to the plug-in when it receives X10 messages. You can create HomeSeer triggers based on those messages.
      --
      Bob Paauwe
      ISYInsteon Plug-in
      http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Sorry Bob, not sure I quite understand. I have the ISY 26, so no support for any additional X10 modules. All I am hoping to confirm is:

(1) If I go to the HS control panel or turn on/off an X10 device from within HS, will this send an X10 command through the ISY/PLM. I am partially asking this since the plugin does not show up as an X10 interface in the HS setup. And,

(2) If an X10 command is sent over the powerline, will HS pick this up throuth the ISY/PLM.

I kind of assumed it wouldn't so I setup my CM15A. I guess I could disconnect and find out but I would like to be sure.

Thanks and great plugin!

Comment

Sorry Bob, not sure I quite understand. I have the ISY 26, so no support for any additional X10 modules. All I am hoping to confirm is:

(1) If I go to the HS control panel or turn on/off an X10 device from within HS, will this send an X10 command through the ISY/PLM. I am partially asking this since the plugin does not show up as an X10 interface in the HS setup. And,
          No, without an ISY99 and the X10 module, you won't have any X10 devices show up in HomeSeer that are controlled by the ISY plug-in.

You can create a program on the ISY that sends a X10 command to a X10 device. That program will show in HomeSeer as a device. You can "run" that program from HomeSeer's status screen, which will send the specific command to the specific device you set up in the ISY program.

(2) If an X10 command is sent over the powerline, will HS pick this up throuth the ISY/PLM.
          Yes, the ISY will see the command and send a message to the plug-in. However, there are no ISY Plug-in controlled HomeSeer devices associated with this so it can only be used as a trigger. You can set up an event in HomeSeer like this:

When ISY X10 Trigger A2 sends ON
          do something

There's a couple of caveats.

1) Insteon devices tend to suck X10 signals so the reliability of X10 decreases as you add Insteon and the PLM is not great with X10 signals.

2) The ISY26 support of X10 is pretty limited. X10 devices are not really recognized as devices so you get the ability to send and receive X10 commands but no state information is saved or available.

The ISY and ISY Plug-in are primarily for Insteon support. There's some minimal X10 support.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
            With the option X10 module installed on the ISY, X10 devices should show up as normal device nodes. They'll respond to normal device commands, on/off/bright/dim. I don't think there's any real support for much beyond the standard switch or plug modules, but I don't have any X10 left to play with.
            bpwwer, just curious how the X10 devices show up in HS. Do they get the corresponding X10 address?

For example, if I have a light at address A1 in the ISY does it show up as device with an address of A1 in HS or another address assigned by the plugin? What happens if I have an W800 that receives A1 ON, will the HS device be turned on which will in turn tell the ISY to issue the A1 ON command via the PLM?

Comment

bpwwer, just curious how the X10 devices show up in HS. Do they get the corresponding X10 address?
              It tries to get the same actual address. If HomeSeer has that address assigned already, I suspect it will simply fail to create a device node, but I'd have to check.

For example, if I have a light at address A1 in the ISY does it show up as device with an address of A1 in HS or another address assigned by the plugin? What happens if I have an W800 that receives A1 ON, will the HS device be turned on which will in turn tell the ISY to issue the A1 ON command via the PLM?
              Do you mean that the W800 sends a A1 On command to HomeSeer? In that case, I believe that HomeSeer will send the command to the ISYInsteon plug-in which in turn will send the command out via the PLM.

The device node created for X10 devices created using the ISY X10 module aren't much different from normal Insteon device nodes.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
              X