Kinect on the way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect on the way!

Thanks to ebay the original kinects can be had for less than thirty bucks! Looking forward to playing around with this plugin how has everyone integrated it in their setups?

Also this might be a Spud question but are there any other applications on the windows platform that have been developed for the device worth mentioning? I am probably going to put it on my HTPC which is used for entertainment and gaming (hooked up to 110' projector screen)

wow $30 ill have to go look for one!

worth mentioning??? google it and you will find someone has windows drivers for it.. some are using 2 of them for 3d video rendering or something like that...

110 in projector.. NICE.. im finishing my basement.. im going with 75" tv which will cost as much as a projector. Wife didnt want me to do a projector... so i put the wires in wall and all that..but when i go to buy the tv.. ill try and convince her for the projector. She will say well you have the wire stuff for the wall so you cant project on the wall...

then i will go with the screen which she doesnt think we need.... to hide that... but then i can do 100-120" i believe...

wonder how they work for a webcam
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

yeah I saw there are the drivers for it, Microsoft put the SDK out a few years ago too. Haha nice plan. Maybe you could get her sold on the 3d. Some may say it's a gimmick but it sure sells the projector. The other cool thing you can pitch is building the screen into the wall or doing a motorized drop down so she can have decorations and whatnot on the wall behind it. In my den I have the screen in front of a fireplace and over the mantle. Pull it down and movie time, pop it up and it's thats homey atmosphere with a fire and music. My girlfriend digs it. That's a really beefy home server are you doing any transcoding with it? Been debating moving homeseer to my netbook but then I have this Core 2 Duo just sitting there to run plex and serve the roku's..but then losing transcoding.

Comment

Guy just to give you a little input on this plugin it is a main part of my system. I am currently running 7 instances of the plugin and there will be more in the near future. It creates a really nice open air voice recognition system. and the fact that each instance of the plug in has its own triggers if I say for instance turn on the lights it can tell what room heard the command and activate the event that corresponds to that room. The reliability has been very good probably the best setup for VR I have found yet. I don't use the gesture control so I cant comment on that.

With the Sub grammers I also have voice control of televisions, Itunes for zones music and XBMC for Zoned multimedia

Cheers Ken
        HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Wow 7 instances what are you running them on?

Comment

Ok a little more explanation, I live in an 150+yr old 9 bedroom monster of a house so I have multiple computers located throughout that run Itunes, XBMC and other functions for HS so I have remote instances of the plugins running on these machines to allow voice recognition in those areas

I am currently testing a kinect outside under a over hang to allow outside voice recognition when out at the patio and by there garage as well but I live in Wisconsin so who knows how the winter will go it has done well with some heavy rains lately so that is a start

If you are running multiple instances on one machine you need to ensure that each kinect is on its own USB bus because it consumes alot of bandwidth just an FYI

Cheers Ken
            HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Oh ok how much horsepower on those machines? Wondering if netbooks could handle the task. I already run airplay everywhere for whole house audio and have roku's on the TV's with plex (waiting on that media connect plugin to mature for hs3). Running xbmc on the htpc/gaming pc downstairs.

Comment

To tell you the truth they are not big horsepower machines not sure about a netbook but I have it running on alot of laptops and cheap walmart PC's

here is a screen shot from one of them this one runs two instances with only adding a second USB card
                Attached Files

Comment

oh wow ok that's definitely more then a netbook. I've got one sitting around, will see how it does when the kinect comes in. Spud did you see the note I put up about Jasper? I feel like you could code up something pretty easily to incorporate that.

Comment

Kideon,

If you could try this on your netbook and report back that would be great. I want to add more interfaces but would like a little lower powered machine so I would be really interested to see if it will run on a netbook, just don't have any to test at the time

Cheers Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                      Spud did you see the note I put up about Jasper? I feel like you could code up something pretty easily to incorporate that.
                      I had a quick look at the Jasper project.
                      What do you like in Jasper that the kinect plugin can't do?

Comment

I like that Jasper runs on the Rasberry Pi which is smaller form factor and lower powered so you can put it anywhere. It's also cost effective and pretty versatile, since you are going to have to code some python anyway might as well put ADIO on it. The form factor really gives the opportunity to have the brains of Homeseer extended to anywhere on the property in a pretty hardened setup. Kenrad was talking about outside setups, you could run it off solar even. Actually that is exactly what I would do, it would be nice to be in the hot tub on the patio and talk to the system.

That and I have a Pi sitting here collecting dust. Also multiple laptops, a netbook, pentium 4 box, iPhone 4..

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                          I like that Jasper runs on the Rasberry Pi which is smaller form factor and lower powered so you can put it anywhere. It's also cost effective and pretty versatile, since you are going to have to code some python anyway might as well put ADIO on it. The form factor really gives the opportunity to have the brains of Homeseer extended to anywhere on the property in a pretty hardened setup. Kenrad was talking about outside setups, you could run it off solar even. Actually that is exactly what I would do, it would be nice to be in the hot tub on the patio and talk to the system.

That and I have a Pi sitting here collecting dust. Also multiple laptops, a netbook, pentium 4 box, iPhone 4..
                          so what you want is a HS3 plugin for Jasper?
                          have you actually tested Jasper? How good is the voice recognition?
                          one of the big problem with open air voice recognition system is that it doesn't work very well with regular mic, you need some special mic array like the one of the kinect for more reliability.

I'm a big fan of the raspberry pi too, if you need some idea for some Pi projects, I can give you some . For example use it as a media player with xbmc, connect a LED strip to add ambilight effects to your TV using hyperion, and control all that using HS3: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=166371

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking, a HS3 plugin for jasper and if someone wanted to go far enough into one for homeseer that makes it an addressable device. It can run Shairport so there's an avenue for airplay speaker, would love to access those pins on it. One thing I can't get past is the fact that no one has made a distro that can be just shut off without being shut down have you found anything? Will check out that link, the XBMC thin isn't so necessary with running rokus everywhere, maybe the ambilight solution. My WAF dictated minimal tablets (only got two) so looking at more voice or tactile (buttons) / indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                              so what you want is a HS3 plugin for Jasper?
                              have you actually tested Jasper? How good is the voice recognition?
                              one of the big problem with open air voice recognition system is that it doesn't work very well with regular mic, you need some special mic array like the one of the kinect for more reliability.

I'm a big fan of the raspberry pi too, if you need some idea for some Pi projects, I can give you some . For example use it as a media player with xbmc, connect a LED strip to add ambilight effects to your TV using hyperion, and control all that using HS3: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=166371
                              Spud's hyperion plugin is really cool. it has been an awesome addition to my setup. it offers really cool ambient light effects a media player and with airplay and xbmc it can all be controlled from HS

Cheers Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X