No announcement yet.

Nest's battery-drain: Chilly users turn up heat over thermostat software glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nest's battery-drain: Chilly users turn up heat over thermostat software glitch

Google Nest's battery-drain: Chilly users turn up heat over thermostat software glitch

A software update may be the source of Google-owned Nest's smart thermostats becoming unresponsive or incapable of operating efficiently.

By Liam Tung | January 14, 2016 -- 14:37 GMT (06:37 PST) | Topic: Internet of Everything

A software glitch in Google firm Nest's smart thermostats is causing havoc in households, leaving some owners hot under the collar with cold homes.

Nest thermostats are meant to be a smarter way to control temperatures, capable of sensing a person's presence and learning just how cool or warm owners like their homes.

But as numerous owners have attested on Nest's user forums over the past week, battery drain issues that appeared after a recent software update have played havoc with cooling and heating systems.

The problem surfaced just as temperatures dropped to below freezing across large parts of the northern hemisphere.

"Woke up to a dead Nest and a very cold house. Not good when you have a baby sleeping," one user reported.

While the outage doesn't appear to have caused any serious harm to users, it does illustrate the reality of one potential risk of embedding more smart devices into daily living. Another much talked about risk is remote hackers gaining access to private information or control of a device.

Numerous people have reported problems with the thermostat's battery, rendering the device's motion-sensors unresponsive and with incorrect temperature settings.

"My furnace kicked on at about 5am. When I woke up, the house was already at evening temperature. The thermostat did not turn on when I approached it, I had to rotate the ring. When I did, I could see it was at a temp that is typically set at 5pm," another user reported.

Nest has since acknowledged the problem, pointing to software version 5.1.3 that may cause devices to become unresponsive or incapable of operating efficiently, in turn causing the device to shut down.

The company has advised users to recharge and restart the device to get it working again as well as provided a nine-step guide to reactivate the device.

Nest co-founder Matt Rogers told the New York Times the Nest glitch was introduced in December but lay dormant for two weeks, at which point "things started to heat up" -- probably referring to Nest's support centre rather than users' homes.

Nest says the issue had been fixed for 99.5 percent of its customers, although on Wednesday a support forum moderator said Nest is still looking into the issue and was planning to provide an update when it had more information.

While plenty of users have expressed outrage on Nest's forums, some have been more understanding. One user forgave Nest's "pretty bad customer service" because it's owned by Google. "What do you expect? They're part of Google, the company that ate the Earth."

As the NYT pointed out, Nest owners can forget about suing the company: its 8,000-word service agreement only allows customers to engage it in arbitration.

However, the risks borne by users is having a chilling effect on IoT device sales. A recent survey by consultancy firm Accenture found nearly half of consumers don't trust the security of IoT devices and 18 percent refused to use one until manufacturers could offer better safety guarantees.

In the meantime, Nest users burned by this experience do have another option: reverting to a mechanical thermostat, which costs a fraction of its smarter offspring.

Personally here and many years ago the thermostat here / automation / software glitches did cause some very low WAF.

Today using a serially connected smart thermostat which works fine on it's own without a cloud connection / network connection / serial connection.

I have it connected serially to my OmniPro panel. Mostly only temperature checks are done and it is rarely adjusted.

I can see or adjust the thermostat from inside of the house or on my smart phone if I want but rarely do because it just works on it's own just fine.
    Last edited by Pete; January 16, 2016, 09:21 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

This is why NEST and Google will never be in my home automation, amongst other reasons.

Comment

Personally thinking mostly new automation relates to the tethered smartphone.

Playing with this in the late 1990's and early 2000's relating to email I did shut off the tethering and through the years never did get tethered to whatever smart phone I had.

Personally I liked the feature but it wasn't for me then and it isn't for me today.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I would be careful, the same end result can happen with HomeSeer:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178170
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Yes here my Omnistat 2 uses the LV from the furnace.

If the power goes out and comes back on nothing happens to the thermostat memory relating to the settings except for the color of the screen defaulting to defaults.

Someone mentioned a fix on the CT forum which is just a larger capacity capacitor which does work.

Really this is relating to a poorly designed thermostat and beta testing it with users that paid for it.

Well and a piss poor development team that doesn't understand the basics of a thermostat.

This is kind of similar relating to the new automated wireless technologies but not knowing the basics of wireless networking developed in the 1990's. IE: skipping that step.

I did have the first generation of the automated Honeywell thermostat (which looked more like a little computer and was difficult to program) with a battery. It did save the programming when the battery went out back in the 1980's. IE: such that this was already figured out back then. Kind of funny that it was forgotten in a newly designed thermostat.

Here I have mentioned that the thermostat / automation is high on the WAF. In the 2000's relating to the HS2 OPII plugin there was a glitch in the software which messed with the thermostat. That said I did disconnect that section of the plugin years ago. It is today working fine.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
            I would be careful, the same end result can happen with HomeSeer:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178170
            With HomeSeer I feel I have a lot more control over what changes are made to my system without my explicit knowledge than with a cloud-based solution like Nest. Is that thread really reporting a HomeSeer problem?
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I will admit that there is a fine line here. But I will stand on my position that also points back into the discussions about what can we as consumers expect from smart devices and IOT devices which is why I added my post here in this discussion. Smart devices that handle critical functionality better darn well manage error reporting and notification. This is why we call them smart devices, right?

You may not agree, but I will argue that with a HA investment well into thousands of dollars between software and hardware, I should be able to expect that when a device sends notice (keep in mind that the ELK in my case did send a error notification to downstream systems) that there is a issue with a critical area of my house (HVAC failure) that I should be able to define a trigger to send notices. The UltraM1G plugin ignored and discarded the error notice, whereas two other home automation products passed the 00 temperature value through. For some reason the plugin author is saying that this could not be done with HomeSeer. Not sure that I agree.
              Last edited by Krumpy; January 16, 2016, 05:23 PM.
              HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Yup; the OP is about the Nest thermostat and a glitch.

While IOT is a great idea we are not there yet.

It is a very inexpensive (cheap) way to provide automation. I am not ready to put all of the kitchen appliances on the internet (as Samsung demonstrated at CES) yet.

The Samsung Smart Things Hub is a good idea and putting $20 worth of hardware to good use makes it a pure profit piece of hardware.

The ISP's internet pipes are slowly getting updated but they are not close to 100% yet. The larger ISPs were given "free" money to update their infrastructure many many years ago and rather than do that they used the money for other stuff.

Today that has been forgotten.

The internet connection should probably just be treated as a utility connection like electricity, water, gas, et al.

Just stating these are growing pains relating to the use of iOT products. But with a lackluster infrastructure it will not be soup for a very long time.

The infrastructure will not get better unless the ISP's are purchased by Microsoft, Apple or Google. Kind of stating here they should just get out of the way or become internet utility companies.

My personal preference is to keep automation at home with the ability to access it whenever wherever I am but not be dependent on that access to for my automation.

This really doesn't have anything to do with Homeseer as they do provide multiple means of remote control and management of your home based automation which is really a good thing.

Well and the remote controlled thermostat that looks nice is an easy sell for those wanting to get in to automation. Personally I am not enamored with my thermostat, smartphone or even my Amazon Echo. They are just tools for me.
                Last edited by Pete; January 16, 2016, 06:24 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                X