Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 minute delays

Hi all,

Looks like I have yet another issue with this blasted Z-net interface.

In the evening last night, things seemed to be reactive and I went to sleep.
    Looking at the logs, it seems there was enough activity going on to suggest HS3 and z-net were talking - ie: a couple of motion sensors sending their temperature reports in.

Woke up this morning, walked to the landing, motion detected and light turned on. Great!
    Went into the bathroom, motion flashed but no light - however it is possible this was a glitch so I'll ignore it for now...
    Went downstairs, motion flashed nothing on logs and no light.
    Jan-19 07:10:22 Info Amazon Echo Discovery requested, version: 2
    Jan-19 07:09:36 Info Amazon Echo Discovery requested, version: 2
    Jan-19 07:06:03 Device Control Device: Upstairs Upstairs Landing Upstairs Light to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Jan-19 07:05:34 Device Control Device: Upstairs Bedroom Bedroom Light to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Jan-19 07:05:01 Device Control Device: Upstairs Bedroom Bedroom Light to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Jan-19 07:04:59 Device Control Device: Upstairs Bedroom Bedroom Light to (value)% (46) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Jan-19 07:02:25 Device Control Device: Downstairs Downstairs Landing Downstairs Light to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Jan-19 06:58:26 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Home Security Set to NOTIFICATION for type Home Security, Event: No Event
    Jan-19 06:58:11

Here you can see I requested the bedroom light to be turned down via HS3 and twice to turn off. It accepted it and logged it but nothing actually happened.
    i then set upstairs light to on, same issue, logged but nothing happened.

As I am typing this, it's been 10 minutes since the above (07:16 now) and everything just fired up. Bedroom light turned down and then off and upstairs light turned on as did the downstairs light requested at 6:58am.

I have had this since moving to z-net but blamed it on the virtual machine (hyper-v) and so yesterday I moved off it and installed it directly onto the server. It seems it has not helped.

It won't be a range thing as the downstairs light requested at 6:58 is literally opposite the interface and I did a optimise yesterday too.

When all this happened, I did a test connectivity on the upstairs light module and got a fail:
    Failed to reach node 6 (Root Upstairs Landing Upstairs Light Fibaro Switch Binary)

All this time, I could access the z-net IP, I could access HS3 as per above logs and turning things on/off. the z-wave plug-in states everything was ok with a green tick.

I am running 3.0.1.184 (beta) for z-wave as the current stable release is causing me errors in the log file every minute - something HS support had not seen either and had recommended sticking to 184 but as it stands, HA is unusable if it's this flaky.

Appreciate any help on trying to figure out what the heck is going on

I suppose one test could be to downgrade to the stable - ignore the errors for now but test how reactive it is and stays - is it worth doing this?
    Given the virtual machine is clearly not the issue, I might revert back to this and make a snapshot of the 3.0.1.184 version before reverting back down to the stable release.

Thanks

What version of Homeseer are you running though? The issues I had with delays were related to core Homeseer and not the Zwave plugin. Just wanted to see if you were on a version that was reported to have issues.

Jeff

Comment

I had (have) a very similar issue. Have been told to try and turn off polling. That worked, no delays any more. Unfortunately I lost all my power monitoring. Very annoying. But better to have a reactive system than incredible delays. Definitely worth a try. Go to plugins, manage, ten click on the zwave, and you can turn off polling there. Might help.

Comment

Thanks for the replies:

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368

Polling- I suppose I could give this a go if anything then to prove it's that but I hope loss of functionality is not the way to make this work.

I'm going to do some basic testing tonight over the next few days start with turning off all motion sensors and turn one on with the motion detect events.
        Run that for a day or so, introduce another and so on. I just want to remove them from the equation.

Is there a way to interrogate the z-net box?
        ie:
        1. I or an event triggers a function (turn on a light)
        2. HS3 accepts this and enters into the log
        3. HS3 tells the controller to tell the module to do that
        At this point, can we check if the module even got a signal to do something?

And on that note, anything else hitting the controller. Reason I say this is I read another thread on here just now talking about a module (thermostat I think it was) which was hammering the controller with z-wave and so everything ground to a halt.

Comment

These types of delays are nearly always caused by a flooded Z-Wave network. The two most likely culprits are a device that has gone bad or has it's parameters set to cause too much Z-Wave traffic and too much polling bringing the network to a crawl. The polling is an easy one to test by turning off all polling. The other not so easy and involves turning off breakers till you isolate the leg that the "flood" is coming from.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            These types of delays are nearly always caused by a flooded Z-Wave network. The two most likely culprits are a device that has gone bad or has it's parameters set to cause too much Z-Wave traffic and too much polling bringing the network to a crawl. The polling is an easy one to test by turning off all polling. The other not so easy and involves turning off breakers till you isolate the leg that the "flood" is coming from.
            The problem with turning off breakers, that causes other issues. It takes a while after turning on polling for me before the problems start, but at least a few hours. If I start taking devices offline by turning the power off, that causes other issues as they are not there any more to relay zwave commands and the network tries to send commands via nodes which are offline. So I would have to exclude them. Which is even more of a problem due to events scripts etc
            I think in my case it could be a faulty device, as I turned of nearly all polling with the exception of important devices, and on a handful of devices I have manual polling set to 1 minute.

Comment

Agreed - with the Fibaro I did learn not to go for breakers when there were issues. It was not even related (putting a new garden light in) but the fact it was off ... it was not happy.

With HS it was no different when I had a brief power cut - Ironically the UPS keeps the servers running but nothing kept the lights running and so HS was not a happy bunny!

Let me start with the Aeons and see how it goes.I'll probably go through the params you listed in that link (in the other thread) and if that does not help, ebay they go which will be unfortnate as they worked very well with the Fibaro and Aeon z-stick...almost too well at times and on the whole so much better than the Fibaro.

In the UK it's not like we have a huge z-wave list of motion sensors we can get and now we know even the top few names in the industry are not so compatible with HS/z-net, this does not give me confidence of the cheaper ones out there

Comment

Originally posted by aj84 View Post
                In the UK it's not like we have a huge z-wave list of motion sensors we can get and now we know even the top few names in the industry are not so compatible with HS/z-net, this does not give me confidence of the cheaper ones out there
                I can understand your frustration but don't be too quick to write off Aeon multisensors, there are many of us in the UK using them without issue. I have a several, mostly USB powered, only one on batteries. I don't use a Z-Net although one of my 2 networks works the same way as a Z-Net. I have two Z-Wave networks both using the cheap UZB1 Z-Wave sticks. One is at a remote location plugged into a RPI which communicates with my HS3 system using Sert2Net through a VPN tunnel over the internet, which is similar to a Z-Net. I have more than one Multisensor 6 on each network as well as older models.

What Z-Wave interface does your Z-Net use? I thought the European ones used a UZB1 stick but perhaps not.

I like the UZB1 sticks because they work well and are cheap so you can back them up and have spares ready to restore your network to if one failed. Not that I have had a failure in the few years I have been using them.

Steve

Comment

See this post for the same delay issue and how it was corrected adjusting settings on the Multi Sensor
                  https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=191724
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've turned on the advanced/detailed logging as I wanted a lot of constant movement on the logs.
                    This way I could see what is happening ...ie if it stops, somethings wrong.

I've removed batteries from both aeotec multi 6 sensors and left the logging on.
                    Throughout the day it has been fine but there was noone in house so as expected.

Got home, everything seemed ok and so I thought great...found the cause.
                    But when we finished dinner and walked out, the landing light was on - this should have been off after no motion (Fibaro motion here).

Eventually things started to work but the logs essentially stopped logging at 7:03 and resumed at 7:10...everything started to work.

I saw a lot of chatter re Node 24 just before it went:

Jan-19 19:03:12 Z-Wave ApplicationCommandHandler from node 24 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY Frame(7)=64
                    Jan-19 19:03:11 Z-Wave Z-Net: Sending to node 24 (Undefined) CC=COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY
                    Jan-19 19:03:11 Z-Wave ApplicationCommandHandler from node 24 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY Frame(7)=64
                    Jan-19 19:03:11 Z-Wave Z-Net: Sending to node 24 (Undefined) CC=COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY
                    Jan-19 19:03:11 Z-Wave ApplicationCommandHandler from node 24 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY Frame(7)=64

Node 24 is...you guessed it, the downstairs landing motion sensor.

So I've unplugged the battery in there now too.

This leaves 3 fibaro (or any ) motion sensors in place:
                    1. Bathroom
                    2. Ensuite
                    3. Cloakroom

Theres someone in the ensuite now and as it's near the shower, I suspect this will be going off a fair bit with movement...lets see what happens to the z-wave network.

Comment

Thanks Steve for your reply
                      It's this one:
                      http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-home...frequency-gen5

I think you're right, pretty sure I saw a sticker under the stick saying UZB1. Didnt realise you could backup/restore to these sticks so easily - in this case assuming everything starts working one day, I will do just that as it's madness not to have a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Starting up HS3 I have these messages (comes up 3 times)

20/01/2018 15:04:45 ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~Exception processing incoming secure message from node 66 : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

could that be the node causing issues ?

Attached Files

Comment

ok so since pulling the battery out of the downstairs landing fibaro motion, the 10 min delays seem to be long gone.

I've still got 4-5 second delays but not always. Polling currently is off too so I could test but it has not improved suggested it could be something else.

Most places it's not a huge issue - for instance, going up the stairs might take a few seconds from the moment the motion flashes to the light turning on.
                          But going into the cloakroom for instance can be an issue. It's pitch black in there as it is 24/7 (no windows). With us it's fine but when guests pop round and then use it, they expect the light to turn on straight away but instead it does not resulting in using the switch ... followed by a smug comment about how the automation is.

Again I'm happy the Fibaro motion is sending the signal, I'm happy that HS3 is sending the signal to the light. Both of these are logged instantly.
                          It's clearly the signal going from the z-wave interface to the light module.

And yet other times it'll be instant.

So thats the challenge now - I am still looking into the culrpit landing sensor as I know for a fact this sensor is working perfectly with other interfaces (Fibaro and z-stick).

I will be introducing a aeotec multi 6 sensor in again after being off for a week or so using settings posted in another thread.
                          Currently at work and I have two of the Multi 6 sensors hooked up to a z-stick with the settings changed...so far they are activating motion and reporting back with temperatures/light/humidity perfectly without any stalling.

Comment

Working...
                          X