Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device name changing issue

Hello,

Since Beta 2.0.1.11 (and maybe 2.0.1.10, I couldn't tell), any name changing directly in Homeseer don't last a long time. It's systematically get back to the previous value, probably due to the fact that they are stored somewhere else (in the deCONZ REST API ?).

In fact, using Phoscon is really helpful, because changes there are sustainable.

Problem is that it must be Phoscon known devices. If not, of course they don't appear and than you can't change their name.

Is there a way to be able changing names in Homeseer ?

Thank you,

Michel

Michel,

don't know how this happens? I tested here to rename a light and it is renamed in deCONZ as well as in the phoscon app. So it seems to work here?

Are you trying to rename a specific light or sensor maybe? Do you see lines like this in the log?

mrt-01 20:24:23 JowiHue ============================================================ =====================================
    mrt-01 20:24:23 JowiHue Light device has been renamed to TV Rechts test, correcting related devices and internal administration
    mrt-01 20:24:23 JowiHue ============================================================ =====================================

If you do not see similar lines, can you create a detailed trace of the rename part maybe?

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Hi Wim,

I saw those lines before. Well, before what ? I don't know. Maybe since 2.0.1.9 ?

Anyway, I can't change names into Homeseer. Well, they change, but don't last and come all back to previous value within about 15 minutes or so. Sometimes earlier.

The changes done into Phoscon work great.

And we cannot incriminate the devices themselves, as they keep a previous name I gave them, which prove I could change them before (and couldn't change it by phoscon as I'm talking about devices like Aqara switches that never appeared in Phoscon).

Looks like some mismatch database error, isn't it ?

Comment

I've got no problem changing Hue Bulb'name for example. The message appears correctly in the Log.

Issue must found its origin in REST API, I guess.

Comment

Michel,

Can you create a detailed trace for me? Just enable the detailed logging and log to file in te configuration page. Then try to rename a device. After that is done, disable the logging and log to file. Send me the log?

I am confused with your last message about renaming a Hue bulb? Is that a rename on a deCONZ gateway or on a Philips bridge?
          Or is there a difference for you on renaming a sensor vs a light? Bit lost here now.

Wim
          -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Can you see the file here ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ndb...ew?usp=sharing

The device I changed is the ID#150 :

Click image for larger version

Name:	push_wim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1195672

Sorry for confusing, all my zigbee devices are linked to Conbee+deCONZ.

When I change a light's name in Homeseer, it works and I've got the message in the log.

If I try with an aqara sensor (temperature enz...) or Aqara Switch (Lumi), Homeseer catches the new name, but only for a few minutes, then comes back to previous name, and I've got no message in the log as you will see in the file.

Michel

EDIT : in this second file, you should see some succesfull name changing (light 14_cave_for_wim - id#156) :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCX...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Wim,

I have seen this too. But most of the time it works. I just tried a couple and it is working now. I am running deCONZ 2.05.08.

I tried it on an Aqara switch and a pressure sensor.

Bill
              Last edited by bdickhaus; March 3, 2018, 09:52 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Hi, im sorry im late to the party.

Anyways, I have tried to figure out why my naming of devices in Homeseer gets overridden when the devices receives an updated value from deCONZ.
                I think I found what causes the issue and wanted to share that to users stumbling upon this post.

I can confirm this on Xiaomi sensors like Temp sensors, motion sensor.

The maximum characters for a device name in Phoscon/deCONZ is 32 (afaik).

So, my tests,
                When renaming a JowiHue device in Homeseer below 32 char, the name is updated fine in Phoscon and the device name in Homeseer stays after updated values.
                When renaming a JowiHue device in Homeseer over 32 char, the name updates in Phoscon, but its shortened. Then when Homeseer receives an updated value on the device, its overridden with the name from Phoscon. Another thing, at least on the Xiaomi sensors i've tried, the root device name will update all the "child" device name if its changed. So that messes up the naming further.

Conclusion, keep the Homeseer device names below 32, and all is good.

Comment

Working...
                X