This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Install Combining ZWave dimmers & Insteon keypads

So we purchased a house and did some major renovations starting in October. Everything is just about finished and I have most of my lights, AC & doors with smart devices and installs homeseer. I have all the homeseer z-wave light switches working and GE fans working and programed. I purchase and installed 6 instead keypads and the PLM (mainly because I like the look better than the zwave scene controllers and insteon's pre-labeled button pack made it easy to get everything labeled). So everything is wired up, now I face the difficult task of making the instead Buttons control the z-wave switches. I want to be able to touch the button that says hallway and have it turn on or off the z-wave hallway switch, or press the button that says dim and have it dim all the z-wave lights (plus the load of the insteon keypad) in the living room. I've searched through the forum and maybe I missed it, but I can't find the instructions on how to do this. I am totally new to Homeseer, but so far everything is working out nicely. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

you need to create events that use insteon special triggers for on and off. then create actions to control your zwave devices
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Sorry, can you be more specific on the steps I need to take, or point me to a post that explains it. I'm a total newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by euclidw View Post
        Sorry, can you be more specific on the steps I need to take, or point me to a post that explains it. I'm a total newbie.
        the following should hel you get started with events, triggers, and actions

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1250

http://help.homeseer.com/help/HS3/static/#.using_events
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks. I'm already familiar with events and have made several (but only using zwave devices). I tried to make events using the insteon keypad buttons as the triggers, but it isn't working. When I check my HS3 log files, it doesn't show anything when I press a button on the insteon keypads. I've tested all of my keypads and nothing in the log. So It seems like I have another problem. None of my insteon keypads are communicating to HS3. I can control all the keypads from HS3, but not the other way around, so now it seems like the communication is only going in one direction. In suggestions on how to fix this?

Comment

try a reset and reprogram on the interface from the plugin config page. sounds like the plm links are missing
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thank you Mark! The reset and reprogram worked & I was able to program my first 2 buttons successfully! Quick question: Is there any other way to get the backlights on the insteon buttons to go on and off when the dimmer it is associated with goes on or off other than creating the dimmer press as a trigger to illuminate that button on the keypad (e.g. IF Foyer dimmer changes and becomes OFF, Then set device Insteon Foyer button to OFF)? Right now I have 4 events for each button press (e.g. Foyer light on, foyer light off, foyer keypad backlight on, foyer keypad backlight off). I just want to make sure I'm being efficient with my events.

Comment

Originally posted by euclidw View Post
                Thank you Mark! The reset and reprogram worked & I was able to program my first 2 buttons successfully! Quick question: Is there any other way to get the backlights on the insteon buttons to go on and off when the dimmer it is associated with goes on or off other than creating the dimmer press as a trigger to illuminate that button on the keypad (e.g. IF Foyer dimmer changes and becomes OFF, Then set device Insteon Foyer button to OFF)? Right now I have 4 events for each button press (e.g. Foyer light on, foyer light off, foyer keypad backlight on, foyer keypad backlight off). I just want to make sure I'm being efficient with my events.
                glad you got it working. the LEDs/Backlights can only be changed via settings and actions. they can't be linked to the dimmer setting at all. so i think you have found the best option. Of course you can have multiple event actions per event trigger but you may be doing that already.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks again for all your assistance. I almost have everything working. 2 more questions for you I have not been able to figure out or find the answer to.

1) is there a way to have the keypad line buttons control the load without using an event trigger? I have the on/off button controlling the load and several other lights through events, I'd like to have button c only control the load.

2) Is there a simple way to have buttons on more than one keypad control each other and have the same status? (e.g. if I have 3 keypads all with a button for stairs, is there a way to have all 3 backlights to come on if I press one and all there backlights to go off if I press another). I'm sure I can do this through events, but this seems inefficient as I am sending the command from the intsteon protocol into homeseer, then back into insteon (vs. having the insteon devices communicate with each other natively & reporting status to homeseer).
                  Last edited by mnsandler; March 11, 2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

1. use the "Button Groups" feature if its an 8 btn kpl. for a 6 btn kpl, you have to manually link btn C to the load in order to do this. see the kpl manual for grouping btns.

2. using the plugin, just create links with cross links between each pair of btns you want to keep in sync.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                    X