Using one window sensor for multiple windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using one window sensor for multiple windows

I'm interested in adding window sensors to sense when a window is open or closed. My home has some places where there are two or three windows next to each other. Rather than installing one window sensor per window, I'd prefer to use one sensor for windows that are adjacent to each other (some places have two windows next to each other, and some have 3 windows next to each other).

I have the WGL W800USB RF receiver and recently got some inexpensive DS10As (yeah, they're cheap, but if I can use one DS10A for 2 or 3 adjacent windows, there's less batteries to replace in the future, and less aesthetic issues to be concerned since multiple sensors next to each other may have a low WAF. The instructions that came with the DS10A shows that there's a way to have the same DS10A monitor two windows:

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ds10a-is.pdf

However, it's not clear where one would get the extra "accessory magnetic
    switch pair". Anyone know what/how to get parts that can be used for connecting multiple windows to one sensor?

Is it possible to wire the DS10A so that it can monitor 3 windows?

Ideally, if at least one out of the 2 (or 3) windows monitored by a DS10A is open, then I'd like a notification sent to HomeSeer (i.e. the DS10A would have a status of "Alert"). Only if all the windows monitored by a sensor are
    closed should the DS10A have a status of "Normal".

Finally, I also have Z-Wave (most devices I have are Z-Wave). I'd consider using a Z-Wave door/window sensor like the Everspring SM103-1 ( http://store.homeseer.com/store/Ever...-P1083C57.aspx ) or
    similar sensor (like the Hawking HRDS1), but they're much more expensive and I've heard much more finicky to configure (I've got a separate alarm system so a Z-Wave sensor or DS10A would be more for home automation purposes instead of security purposes). Would the same wiring principles of hooking up a DS10A to monitor multiple windows work similarly as having a single Z-Wave sensor monitor multiple windows (as far as the way the magnets/or reed switches are wired)?

Thanks.

Originally posted by randman View Post
    I'm interested in adding window sensors to sense when a window is open or closed. . . I'd prefer to use one sensor for windows that are adjacent to each other . . . it's not clear where one would get the extra "accessory magnetic switch pair". Anyone know what/how to get parts that can be used for connecting multiple windows to one sensor?
    I just did a search on magnetic reed switch and got lots of hits. I think it's safe to assume that virtually any magnetic switch will work.
    Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Set-Door-W...item35b5e5e368

Is it possible to wire the DS10A so that it can monitor 3 windows?
    Yes. You simply wire the magnetic sensors in series, so that if any one is open the circuit is open. (In principle, you could monitor as many windows as you want. They'd just all have to be closed to produce a "Normal" signal to HS.)

Would the same wiring principles of hooking up a DS10A to monitor multiple windows work similarly as having a single Z-Wave sensor monitor multiple windows (as far as the way the magnets/or reed switches are wired)?
    I would not expect them to be any different in that respect.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I've seen cheap door/window alarms at the dollar stores for $1.
      They each come with a reed switch and magnet you could use with a DS10 (wired in series of course). I actually picked up a bag full of these at a yard sale once. Just take out the LR44 batteries (they're good for other things) and throw away the alarm. All in all a pretty good bang for that buck.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Thanks for your inputs! I did an online search earlier before I posted this thread, but I wasn't using the correct search terms (but based on your feedback, I got verification on my understanding of your answers... apparently, "reed", "switch", and "series" were the proper search terms). Found this helpful thread too:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=103816

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X