Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ, Temperature probes integration - Any thoughts on how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ, Temperature probes integration - Any thoughts on how to?

Anyone aware of a possible way to get a signal to HS3 based on a temperature probe for BBQ or Oven? Thermoworks or iGrill are 2 popular remote temperature monitors. I have a Green mountain Grill with built in wifi as well.

Would love to have sonos announcement or light change colour based on probe temperature!

The RFXCom receiver/plugin works with a couple of different BBQ Thermometers.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Which ones work with a W800 receiver?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        Which ones work with a W800 receiver?
        None that I know of. The Maverick ET732 and ET733 BBQ Thermometers and the Oregon Scientific AW129 and AW131 thermometers work with the RFXtrx433 or the RFXrec433.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks, I would really like to add a wireless temperature sensor to my BBQ but not to the point of buying an RFXcom. I seem to remember seeing an inexpensive device years ago that would work with US systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

The Maverick looks great, but this an expensive option going with an RFXCom unless I could find a few other uses for it.

Comment

Fwiw, the thermoworks 'smoke' product has a wifi bridge, and a cloud service API. I'd prefer local integration though. Still, it'd be great to have options for detecting activity on it.

Comment

The SDR dongle and rtl_433 is usually the most complete solution for RF integration. I do not know if a specific BBQ transmitted is decoded, but the rtl_433 library is very large. 433 MHz is the most common frequency used, but whatever is used such as 310 MHz for X10 RF, can be tuned by SDR and then decoded by rtl_433. Section 21 of mcsMQTT plugin manual 410_mcsMQTT.pdf (homeseer.com)​ provides a description of integration with HS and there are other references in the manual as well for its use.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  The SDR dongle and rtl_433 is usually the most complete solution for RF integration. I do not know if a specific BBQ transmitted is decoded, but the rtl_433 library is very large. 433 MHz is the most common frequency used, but whatever is used such as 310 MHz for X10 RF, can be tuned by SDR and then decoded by rtl_433. Section 21 of mcsMQTT plugin manual 410_mcsMQTT.pdf (homeseer.com)​ provides a description of integration with HS and there are other references in the manual as well for its use.

I can confirm the Thermopro line of products work well with RTL_433, I own the TP-20 but multiple others are also decoded:

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wir.../dp/B01GE77QT0

https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433 (check under = Supported device protocols =​ )

OpenMQTTgateway also supports Inkbird Bluetooth products

https://compatible.openmqttgateway.c...y=relevance&38

Comment

Not for everyone, but those who might have a kamado or weber style grill/smoker might want to checkout Flame Boss. They support MQTT with cloud or direct (local), as well as having a nice mobile app, browser control, and Alexa app too. I've not integrated it into HS as the mobile meets my needs, but they have an article here.

Connect to Flame Boss MQTT Cloud Broker : Flame Boss

Edit... and the API documentation is here for those interested. fb-api-doc/fb-mqtt.pdf at master · flameboss/fb-api-doc · GitHub​​

Comment

I built a wireless temperature probe for our fireplace. It uses a k type thermocouple, I read this with a sensor-reading pi with wifi, then throws off a csv file I can pick up with Homeseer and also another Pi Zero over wifi with an e ink display. Its all just python code, pretty simple. It does require some kit-building but has worked reliably.

Comment

Working...
                      X