Communication Failure on half of my devices after powercut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication Failure on half of my devices after powercut

I had a powercut on my HS3 machine. After the power came back, I had to give my RFXcom a new com port as the previous one did not work any more. That happens most of the time after a power cut and is probably normal, I also I have to give my modem a new com port after a powercut. After changing the com port on the RFXcom, half of my devices started transmitting again, but quite a few have not been transmitting since. This I have not had before...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikee123; February 13, 2017, 08:48 AM.

I have unplugged my RFXcom, rebooted the HS3 PC, no change. I have also tried resetting one of the temperature sensors with a comms failure, to see if it is being picked up now. It isnt. And just to make sure I have put it right next to my RFXcom.
    I have backups of my HS3 directory, I do not want to copy the whole backup over if I can avoid it as that causes me a lot of work until everything is back in sync. But if there is a RFXcom database or something like that I could copy ?

I have installed the RFXmanager on my PC, and connected the RFXcom. I can see for example the wind sensor, which shows as a comms failure in HS3 is transmitting every few seconds. So the problem is in HS3, not the RFXcom itself.

Packettype = WIND
    subtype = WIND2 - WGR800
    Sequence nbr = 71
    ID = 5B00 decimal:23296
    Direction = 45 degrees NE
    Average speed = 0 mtr/sec = 0 km/hr = 0 mph
    Wind gust = 0 mtr/sec = 0 km/hr = 0 mph
    Signal level = 4 -88dBm
    Battery = Low
    Last edited by mikee123; February 13, 2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

If you reset one of the Oregon Scientific devices, it'll use a new code, so you need to go into the RFXCom tab of the device and select that new code.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        If you reset one of the Oregon Scientific devices, it'll use a new code, so you need to go into the RFXCom tab of the device and select that new code.

Cheers
        Al
        I know I have to do that after every battery change. But now its not showing up after the reset, there is no new sensor in the list after I press the reset.

After more than 2 hours I checked the list a new found sensors, and it is there. After about 10 reboots some other sensors have connected again too. But there are still a few missing, like my weather station (wind, temperature). And they are not as easy to reset... and I dont understand why I can see them in the RFX manager but they show as comms fault in HS3.
        Last edited by mikee123; February 13, 2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Well I did not touch the system since last night, and 5 devices were still showing comms faults this morning. Next timer I looked a few hours later, and all but 1 have now come back. Very strange, whenever I did a restore (overwrite the HS3 directory with a backup) this has never happened. Normally all devices transmit straight away.
          Anyway, they are all back now, and the missing one I'll try resetting, at least its the least important sensor in my system.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
            I had a powercut on my HS3 machine. After the power came back, I had to give my RFXcom a new com port as the previous one did not work any more. That happens most of the time after a power cut and is probably normal, I also I have to give my modem a new com port after a powercut. After changing the com port on the RFXcom, half of my devices started transmitting again, but quite a few have not been transmitting since. This I have not had before...
            The COM port should not change after a reboot.
            Is this is Windows PC or a Linux system?
            If this is a Windows system check if you use the latest FTDI drivers.
            If this is a Linux system you have to configure the COM port correct. I can't help you with this but Google for "Linux persistent COM port"

If this happens again assign the correct COM port to the RFXtrx and all sensors should appear again.

Comment

Working...
            X