How can I remotely connect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I remotely connect?

I can't seem to access my homeseer web interface remotely. It works on the local machine by using the absolute IP address or localhost but if I try to access it remotely from work using the absolute IP address I get nothing (can't connect to server).

My homeseer machine is connected with a DSL modem.
    Also, I have my own apache server on the machine on port 80 so homeseer is on port 81. Still, I can't even connect to port 80.

What do I need or what do I need to do to get this enabled?

- John

John,
    What do you mean by "absolute IP address"? You need to use your WAN ipaddress not LAN ipaddress to connect from the outside world. This would be your DSL modems ipaddress. Not a 192.168 type number.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Absolute address as in the real IP address not "localhost" or "127.0.0" etc

Currently Homeseer states that my ip is something like
      169.254.xxx.xxx:81

If I enter that into a browser I get the Homeseer page. My computer at work, however, can't connect to the ip.

Comment

Your work may be blocking access to your desired port. If you use port 80 your isp may be blocking that. So I would try other ports. FTP sites use port 21 and SSL uses 443. Try one of those ports and see if it works.

Comment

John:
          169.254.xxx.xxx is an IANA reserved address range and is not rout-able on the internet. It is only valid within your LAN. You need to use your DSL modem's IP address.

Comment

I believe you'll find that the 169.254.x.x address is being set by the local NIC because the PC is set for DHCP but there is no DHCP server or the PC can't get an IP address on the local LAN. Does your Internet router have DHCP turned on for local PCs?
            |
            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

I really have no idea. I have a DSL modem that my provider gave me. I checked the control panel under Admin Tools > Services and the DHCP Client was started. The all others seemed to be enabled except for "workstation" which was disabled. I reset the service to automatic and and then manually started it. Anything else that I could be missing?

Comment

I checked my IP by visiting whatismyip.com and it stated it was something like 64.223.xxx.xx If I enter this into a browser, however, I get nothing.

Comment

jvanv8
                  What happens when you ping that address? If you post it or email it to one of us we could try it from here. Many of us have guest access so disclosing your ipaddress isn't all that big of a deal.

Comment

I pinged my IP from the same computer and the trace route showed no hops and a time ranging from 7 to 4 milliseconds

Looks like it didn't have to go far

I will try from another computer in a sec.

Comment

make sure you are putting the http and the port number if different than 80
                      example:
                      <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> http://64.223.xxx.xx:81 </pre>

Comment

The ping from a remote machine worked fine (about 200 ms)
                        Entering the IP from an aol browser got
                        Error 502 Cannot Connect
                        Entering IP with :80 or :81 got
                        Error 500 Host Unknown
                        IE Browser just gets
                        Page Not Found - Cannot Find Server

Comment

For what it's worth, here's what I did to get mine working. My ISP (cable modem) blocks incoming requests to port 80.

1) At home--&gt; www.whatismyip.com--&gt;write that number down (make sure it doesn't change periodically...)
                          2) In Homeseer, change the port from 80 to 8000 (unlikely to be blocked by your DSL)
                          3) Restart Homeseer

NOTE: Http://localhost won't work anymore at home because this defaults to port 80.

4) From work in IE--&gt; http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000 (the x's replaced by the ip from whatismyip.com)

5) Cross your fingers...

If you have a router at home, you might be able to keep Homeseer on port 80 and re-route external port 8000 to internal port 80. That way, Homeseer will still be on the default HTTP port (80) at home, while still allowing outside access on the unblocked/nonstandard port 8000.

Good luck!

Comment

Ok, I changed it to port 8000 but still no access via other computers through the internet.

Right now I can't even get the homeseer page by entering the IP on the same machine where the page resides. Using localhost on port 8000 still works though.

I know for a fact that my IP address did not change during any of the tests I tried.

?

Comment

Did you configure your router to forward port 8000 to your homeseer box?

The symptoms you describe suggest that outside traffic isn't being forwarded to your homeseer box...

Comment

Working...
                              X