Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iautomate rfid package to sell ?

Hello,

Anobody has an Iautomate RFID package to sell on RS232 ?

I'd like to use it at home with their plugin.

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer.

Regards
    Manu

Originally posted by nslmanu View Post
    Hello,

Anobody has an Iautomate RFID package to sell on RS232 ?

I'd like to use it at home with their plugin.

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer.

Regards
    Manu
    I use iAutomate RFID at my house. Any reason you can't buy it from them directly?

Comment

it's just because it's very expensive when it's new .... just for that ...

Btw , tks in advance for your answer.

Comment

it's just because it's very expensive when it's new .... just for that ...

Btw , tks in advance for your answer.
        Well what can I say. Not sure what your intended use is. But... new or used, I would not do it again.

Comment

Bad experience ?

could you give us more details please ?

tks in advance

Comment

Bad experience ?

could you give us more details please ?

tks in advance
            I wanted to buy iAutomate's RFID to control garage doors, You know, car approaches garage - door opens, car leaves - door closes. That was intended as a beginning, with plans to branch out after to more uses in house after that. Good intentions.
            So... $500 to buy the first receiver and a couple of tags. My HomeTroller is in family room, center of my house, providing the best transmission to everywhere. But... garage is not in the family room. So, that necessitated a second receiver. Another $500...

Everything installed and configured and... it works. Well, when it does, that is. I must say that I received absolutely superb support from iAutomate folks. This is simply a tricky, imprecise, and sensitive technology. As such, anything reliable seems to be simply out of its reach. Garage doors opening and closing by themselves, or not opening with the car arriving within inches of it. I even had to specify the time frame when my RFID events may function, just to avoid my garage door opening at 3 am!

Given the low reliability of this technology, I have all but given up on using it for anything else. If you have some intended uses that will accept a 70-80% success rate, then, perhaps, you may consider this adventure worthwhile...

Comment

arf ... it's clear .... tks for this ...

Comment

I have three of the "cheaper RFID" receivers set up with 4 tags in automobiles. I have the 12VDC tags mounted in the headliners of each of the automobiles using a constant voltage source. Not optimal due to where the antennas of the transmitters sit. One receiver/antenna is in the attic, one is on the second floor and the third in in the garage. Last receiver / tag was free when I wrote to the supplier. The cost of the available devices today is reasonable if you are willing to make adjustments and not be dependant on the technology for anything critical.

Currently I am OK using one plugin with two receivers and a second plugin with one receiver. I run script that checks both plugins for one rfid on/off variable. That said I'm close to about 100% accuracy with the set up I have.

Very simple configuration and just providing a TTS/ON OFF variable when automobiles are coming or going. Works for me.

I do not utilize the technology for anything related to opening or closing doors, locks or alarm stuff and not dependant for anything similiar.

That said; I have a touchscreen page dedicated to this technology; IE: screen pops up showing 2 camera views and variables of which RFID triggered screen; along with TTS announcements.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; January 8, 2012, 07:14 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi,

I have a cheaper Rfid too ( 2 modules ) to cover all the house parts.

It works fine ... but i thought that the iautomate was greater and more efficient, and maybe works better with a serial over ethernet ( with a sertial to ethernet module ).

I don't know if a LAN module exists with RFID sensor ....

Comment

I have no experience with iAutomate. I use a CheaperRFID tag in the car with the receiver antenna in the attic of the house.
                    Originally using the CheaperRFID plugin, operation was flakey as the tag has a tendency to drop out from time to time even when in proximity.

A few months ago, I successfully mioved to the xapMcsRFID application and xapMcs plugin using the same hardware and operation has been near 100%. xapMcsRFID uses a quality of measurement algorithm which I have set up for a slow decay when the tag disappears and a quick attack for when the car arrives. This way, if the tag does drop out for a few seconds, nothing happens and my garage door remains closed at 3AM. It's not failed me yet.
                    Using XAP you'd also have the advantage of being able to install the receiver on any PC on your network and have data updated immediately no matter where the HS server is located.

@ Pete: I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you managed to find a constant 12V supply in a vehicle. I tried, in my old Nissan, to wire to the dome light supply, but that entire supply dims to off a few minutes after the ignition is turned off. This after I'd cut into the wiring harness. I haven't tried anything in the new Altima as yet (it's only four months old). There are two cigarette lighter type sockets in the car, and a USB socket, but all of these also shut off. Darned new fangled cars!
                    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

@ Pete: I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you managed to find a constant 12V supply in a vehicle. I tried, in my old Nissan, to wire to the dome light supply, but that entire supply dims to off a few minutes after the ignition is turned off. This after I'd cut into the wiring harness. I haven't tried anything in the new Altima as yet (it's only four months old). There are two cigarette lighter type sockets in the car, and a USB socket, but all of these also shut off. Darned new fangled cars!
                      Whenever I needed a low current +12V supply I used to connect it to the radio connector which often have a permanent live to keep settings on the device. I used to buy an ISO connector extension lead (http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages/...adio_Cable.jpg) and then place a connector in the permanent live (Pin 4 I think) and connect whatever I needed, at the moment in my car I have an iPhone charger permanently connected on this wire (fused for good measure). That way there were no permanent alterations to the car and I could unplug it whenever I needed to.

Not sure what new cars have whether they have similar but it might be somewhere to try?

Comment

I'll look into that. The problem is to keep the transmitter antenna high up for reception from within a metal car, and routing the supply wires to that location. Currently I have the tag inside the overhead sunglasses compartment where it works quite well, but I have to keep a close eye on the batteries as they tend to leak out in the summer heat. It's too bad these tags don't send battery condition along with the tag ID.
                        If I can find a spare fuse in the panel, that would be even more ideal, and closer to where I need it. I have yet to look.

Comment

Dome lights have a constant power supply and are typically available near the front these days.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Not these Rupp, although that was my thought too.. These cars are too smart. I tried every conductor, but they all power off after a period of time. The car 'knows' when I'm there.

Thinking about that however, I might be able to apply a little logic in conjunction with the motion sensors in the garage. Afterall, I only need the tag operating on arrival or departure.

Comment

On the bimmer; most if not all of the 12VDC shut down to a very light trickle of 12VDC. Both cars are identically electronically configured. I used the dome light area; but the power is via the GSM/BT radio. In the Honda / Mazda both of the dome lights dim; but they also had a constant to the battery connection which worked. In the early 2000's I would have a tank battery which would get charged by the primary charging circuits. No need for that these days.

I did notice that the first two "cheaper RFID" radios did fine with the voltage supplied by the RS-232 lines and the newest did need the supplimental voltage to work properly.

Look to see if there are other circuits there with a constant 12VDC. I mean I have the power sunroof motor, gsm radio, garage door opener and dome lights all accessible when I removed the dome light cluster (which is two forward lamps, one central and two mini spots for map reading; gets a bit elaborate). If you need to add; then you can also take a constant 12VDC wire via a fuse block on either the drivers or passenger side most likely removed the trim between the front and side doors and pass the wire with the rest that traverse there. There are little wire clusters all over the place in most vehicles. They are not always easy to get to though. Many times the cars are prewired for options not connected; so the wire clusters are there not connected to anything sometimes.

As Greg mentions the cars have "profiles" memorized. Seat postion, steering wheel position, climate control...starting to get a bit elaborate. Years ago specifically on the bimmer there was only a few devices on the bus which communicated to each other; today its become such that even the light bulbs / signal bulbs communicate messages to the bus.

I found a small nook in between the windows on one of the cars that had a constant 12VDC; it was connected to a "powered" multipurpose amplifier which sat on the bus (GPS, Radio, GSM, alarm, key fob etc). It was maybe 4" X .5" in size with multiple coaxial connections/12VDC and 12VDC accessory powered to it.
                              Last edited by Pete; January 9, 2012, 01:27 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X