Using HS-LS100+ for low water alerting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using HS-LS100+ for low water alerting

I'm interested in have Homeseer monitor a couple of water features with a couple spare LS100s I have, and triggering an alert event if they are low on water. So that would mean having probe in water vast majority of the time, reporting a 'Leak', then triggering an event when water has dropped below probe level and it is not reporting a leak.

My hunch is that would kill the battery fast having the probe constantly in water. Curious if anyone has tried something similar, what was your experience. If not the LS100, any other ideas on solution to report a low water level?

Originally posted by klafollette View Post
    I'm interested in have Homeseer monitor a couple of water features with a couple spare LS100s I have, and triggering an alert event if they are low on water. So that would mean having probe in water vast majority of the time, reporting a 'Leak', then triggering an event when water has dropped below probe level and it is not reporting a leak.

My hunch is that would kill the battery fast having the probe constantly in water. Curious if anyone has tried something similar, what was your experience. If not the LS100, any other ideas on solution to report a low water level?
    I have a couple of these and I wonder if the probe is placed in water and it transmits a leak value, then it would stay as a leak value (only 1 transmission) until it transmits again (once) when the probe is out of the water. I wouldn't think it would constantly transmit while in water just when it initially touches the water. Same with when it is out of water contact.

So I would think it wouldn't have any more effect on the battery. Maybe HS can verify that.

Comment

My guess is that the probe is using water as a conductive path for detection, so while in the water it would draw some amount of current, that wouldn't occur when dry. So regardless of not having increased draw by sending more frequent 'leak' alerts, just having probes in water would drain battery faster. Not wanting to kill a battery trying it, hoping somebody might know.

Comment

Originally posted by klafollette View Post
        My guess is that the probe is using water as a conductive path for detection, so while in the water it would draw some amount of current, that wouldn't occur when dry. So regardless of not having increased draw by sending more frequent 'leak' alerts, just having probes in water would drain battery faster. Not wanting to kill a battery trying it, hoping somebody might know.
        I understand what you are saying. It is hard to know the internal workings of a device. Trial and error I guess if it is necessary. Maybe there is someone as you said out there that may know.

Comment

I'm looking at possibly using this sensor for my pool low water level detection. Did anyone get any further confirming these questions or the suitability for this application?

Comment

Originally posted by davidcald View Post
            I'm looking at possibly using this sensor for my pool low water level detection. Did anyone get any further confirming these questions or the suitability for this application?
            This sensor is not designed to sense water level. It only detects the presence or absence of water.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

This sensor is not designed to sense water level. It only detects the presence or absence of water.
              I understand. What I mean by water level is it is either above or below a minimum level which appears it would be able to report based on the position of the sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by davidcald View Post

I understand. What I mean by water level is it is either above or below a minimum level which appears it would be able to report based on the position of the sensor.
                The chlorine would eventually damage it (maybe). Only way to know battery usage is test your spare one.
                From the product description you could use the included remote sensor - and they give an example of using it to detect a full condition:

"The included optional magnetic mount (with probe) allows HS-LS100+ to be wall mounted away from leak area. The probe cable may also be used to detect water levels when installed into a container: Example: use to detect "full" water condition in a dehumidifier reservoir."

Comment

Working...
                X