Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to new version of EtherRain.8

When I upgrade to new version of EtherRain.8

I now getting this error in log file when I run a event to turn sprinklers zone on.

EtherRain:Alerts The controller EtherRain.8 is reporting Rain. The cycle will not execute.

The old version ran ok.

Could you tell me how to fix this problem?

Thank you

Greg Mack

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post
      When I upgrade to new version of EtherRain.8
      Hi Greg,
      I assume you mean when you upgraded your scripts you started getting the "rain detected message" when there is no rain. Please make sure that you have the most recent script set. When the script set was recently updated there was an intermediate script set version on the web site for about a week that had a bug that caused this message under certain conditions. The script set was corrected fairly quickly but you still might have that version. If you still experience the inadvertent message after downloading and installing the current script set please contact me.

Cheers,
      Jim

Comment

I did get the polling script setup - currently for the rain sensor but could be easily modified for other actions. If anyone has a similar need just let me know and I can share the simple code.

Comment

I never got around to programming beyond the rain sensor, which is working well. I am now in the processing of connecting the EtherRain to my MainLobby touchscreens through Homeseer.

First question - my rain sensor is NC. So EtherRain thinks that it is raining when it is not. I adjusted for this in my code to check the rain sensor and report it back separately.

I don't see a setting to reverse this? Do I need to reverse the logic in the .vb file or is there an easier way to do this?

Comment

rain sensor for EtherRain

Hi Simon,

EtherRain expects a "normally open" rain sensor. Most commercially available rain sensors have three terminals with one of the terminals being Normally Open. Check your rain sensor installation guide to see if your's has this. This would be the easiest way to fix the issue.

If you use a NC rain sensor with EtherRain, then the irrigation events won't run (except when it's raining )

Jim

Comment

I checked the sensor it is NC and does not have a NO option. It was installed last year and I was using it on my old X-10 based controller that could accept either in the programming. It would be a shame to switch the sensor.

I control the X-10 unit by scripts in homeseer. I was thinking of using your programs to control the unit moving forward. I could just adapt the code and send commands to the Etherrain. However, if I tell it to turn on the zones manually will it still listen to the rain sensor and ignore them?

Comment

using the nc sensor

Hi Simon,
                Let me restate your question to make sure I understand it:
                You have an NC rain sensor that connects as an X-10 HomeSeer device. You want to modify the EtherRain scripts to test the your rain sensor device before sending an irrigation command. Is that correct? If so yes you should be able to make that modification as long as the device status is available to the scripting language - I think it is. You'd test for an on or off - whatever state the sensor reports when it detects rain.

The logic might also apply for manual commands if the function that you modify is the same one that is called when the manual button is clicked.

Hope this states your application correctly.
                Jim

Comment

Sorry Jim, I confused things. I do have a NC rain sensor. It does not have the third lead that many do, apparently this model is sold as either an NO or an NC in separate units. I used to have it connected to my X-10 sprinkler control but I replaced that controller with the EtherRain. So now it is connected to the EtherRain.

I figure that there are three options. I handle the scheduling of the sprinklers outside of the EtherRain? In order to do this I would need to be able to send commands to the EtherRain to turn on and off the sprinklers - I haven't looked into the code, is this possible? This is not as daunting as one might think as I have a whole series of scripts written for the old X-10 controller.

Second, you can allow for NC or NO rain sensors as a setting in the EtherRain interface.

Third, I replace the rain sensor - it was new last summer so this is not my first choice but it can of course be done if options 1 or 2 don't work.

Comment

Hi Simon,

It might be possible to emulate the operation of an X-10 controller with EtherRain using the Direct Relay Mode in EtherRain, but it's not worth trying. The main benefit that EtherRain brings to HomeSeer control is that you only need to send one command to EtherRain, the one command contains all of the cycle information, so if there was ever a connection or other computer issue after the command was sent, EtherRain would continue operating the cycle - you don't have to worry about setting timers or sending an OFF command. Some of these irrigation cycles can be 6 hours long and sometimes glitches can happen in that amount of time; having EtherRain manage the cycle enhances reliability and makes programming easier when used in the intended irrigation mode.

EtherRain doesn't support a normally closed sensor. We had to simplify the design and Normally Open makes more logical sense for a sensor. So a Normally Closed sensor won't work with EtherRain.

If you can send an email stating the name and model number of your sensor, (and your address) I can send you one of our rain sensors. You can attach it to the wire you already have in place and that will solve the problem.

Your sensor information will help me because I need to know which sensors to NOT recommend to customers when they ask. I haven't found a sensor in the US that didn't support both Normally Open and Normally Closed, but the Hunter Mini-Clik, which does support both Normally Open and Normally Closed in the US, does NOT support Normally Open in France. Who would have guessed?

This should get you started in the most expeditious manner.

Jim

Comment

EtherRain, HS2, and iPad

I just discovered my self-contained, non-PC connected, sprinkler controller has quit functioning. So perhaps now is the time to purchase an HS2 connected controller.

I am interested in the EtherRain 7p since I have 7 zones and a valve common to the 7 zones.

I am hoping to utilize my LAN connected iPad to remotely control the EtherRain controller. Assuming that is not a problem, would I be able to alter the scheduled watering cycle such that I could turn a chosen zone on and off to adjust the sprinkler heads? Would that require deleting the full '7 zone' programming to allow individual zone control?

For example, with my hard-wired only controller, I could conveniently turn any zone on and off as I adjusted arc width and spray distance. And when it came time to blow out the system, I could control the zone status (on/ off) as required by the air compressor being used to blow out each zone.

Thanks!

Comment

EtherRain with HomeSeer and iPad

Hi Frank,
                        EtherRain just responds to commands that are given to it, it doesn't store a schedule, so, to answer your question below, your scheduled programs would remain as you have programmed them into HomeSeer, while you execute valve testing commands.

I'm assuming you are accessing your HomeSeer desktop remotely through your iPad, correct? (I'm assuming that is possible don't know for a fact that it is) if so you can use the EtherRain HomeSeer scripts, you can set up seven of the 20 programs as valve test cycles: just define cycles that have one value per zone, say 1 minute, and name them valve test cycles. Then click the run manual for that program and only that zone will run; you can let the valve run for the full minute, or you can tap the stop cycle button to stop it immediately.

Your scheduled HomeSeer events will still run as scheduled. Alternatively you could use HomeSeer for your scheduled events and use the third party iPhone App for EtherRain to perform valve testing - it should run on your iPad.

You can learn more about setting up cycles and events by downloading the EtherRain HomeSeer script package - it includes good setup instruction.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jiml@quicksmart.com View Post
                          I'm assuming you are accessing your HomeSeer desktop remotely through your iPad, correct? (I'm assuming that is possible don't know for a fact that it is)
                          Jim
                          Thanks Jim,

Sounds perfect!

I haven't tried the iPad idea, but I feel confident it will work.

I will proceed along those lines. I've lost two controllers (I won't mention a name, but like I said, they are non-web based and are solid state) in 4 years. Ridiculous!

And more importantly, this will be more fun to use HS2 with some software control.

Thanks!

Frank

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                              I did get the polling script setup - currently for the rain sensor but could be easily modified for other actions. If anyone has a similar need just let me know and I can share the simple code.
                              Hey Simon. If you have the script I would love to use it. Can you post?

Comment

I added the following code after line 326 in the standard script - after the section titled - "but now check rain..."

Code:
                                		'Checking rain sensor...

If wstr = "1" Then
                                			'Rain sensor on
                                			'Rain sensor is normally closed (NO) so a "1" indicates that it is wet
                                            responsestr = responsestr & "(Rain)"
                                			hs.writelog ("EtherRain", "Rain Sensor is on - raining")
                                			'Set rain sensor status - R14
                                			hs.SetDeviceStatus ("R14", 2)
                                        End If

If wstr <> "1" Then
                                			'Rain sensor off
                                			'Rain sensor is normally closed (NO) so something other than a "1" (presumably a 0) indicates that it is not wet
                                			hs.writelog ("EtherRain", "Rain Sensor is off - Not raining")
                                			'Set rain sensor status - R14
                                			hs.SetDeviceStatus ("R14", 3)
                                        End If

Comment

Working...
                                X