Weather Stations Compatable with Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Stations Compatable with Homeseer

So I'm currently looking for a piece of hardware to monitor the weather outside. All I need is a temperature and humidity sensor, but I'm interested in things like wind and rain meters.

If I need to, I can pick up a Aeon Labs gen 5 "multi-sensor 6" to solve my query (and get vibration/motion/UV/Ambient as well), but I've noticed there are cheaper solutions that come with cool looking LCD readouts that I feel are a fun idea.

Among these cheaper ($40-100), wi-fi enabled weather tools, would any of them be able to interface with Homeseer without too much manual tinkering? What about the more expensive models?

Cheap Hardware (what I'm looking for):
    1) Ambient Weather Wireless Internet Remote Weather Station ($38)
    2) La Crosse Technology V10-Wth-Int ($55)
    3) [not primarily for weather] Aeon Labs Gen-6 Multi-sensor ($60)

Superior Hardware (outside my price range ATM)
    1) Ambient Weather WS-2902A ($170)
    2) La Crosse Technology V40-Pro-Int ($112)

Known Software Interface Solution: Ambient's Virtual Weather Station / Script
    Suggested (below) Software Interface Solution: Cumulus Free Weather Station Software
    Official Plugin-Supported Solution: Netatmo Urban Weather Station ($150)
    Last edited by Lucid; July 11, 2018, 12:24 PM. Reason: Formatting is all screwed up, you guys need a better forum!

For temperature and humidity you can DIY an RPi or Arduino for said info or extend a 1-wire combo device outside for less than $50.

For a general weather station that works with a variety of non-propietary software interfaces I would entertain using a one from this list.

Well like a network, USB or serial interface to the weatherstation console (not internet though).

Supported Devices

I have tested and used (for years now) Davis (> $200) and Fine Offset (< $200)

Here is another list of weather stations:

The 7 Best Home Weather Stations to Buy in 2018

Personally here prefer that my weather station has no cloud dependencies similiar to my security panel or CCTV stuff.

If you have to pull your personal weather station data from the internet then you have a dependency on the internet to use your weather station.

That is me though.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you, Pete! This is great information. I am happy to see you mention "Cumulus", I was definitely not aware of this software! I am also adverse to using a solution that relies on internet connectivity to give me information. One of the charms of Homeseer is that it works even when my router, or my internet connection, is having problems!

It looks like a good solution for integrating Cumulus with Homeseer is here (stating this for posterity).

Comment

And you can run Cumulus on an RPi (wired or wireless) adjacent to your weather console these days. Plug in an SDR radio and antenna to your RPi and you can download NOAA satellite images for more weather info.

Cumulus is utilizing same methodology that Homeseer is using running Homeseer in Linux using Mono. It is also same methodology that Home Genie utilizes.

Using WeeWx you can utilize more weather sensors these days and talk to Homeseer. IE: wireless, wired, 1-wire, lightning, et al.

Many Weather station users like to share their weather information and typically upload to NOAA or Weather Underground these days and you can typically do this with weather station software that runs on an RPi these days.

Guessing too that soon you will see easy peasey Mosquitto implemented for weather data communications. You can today plug in a weather station to Node Red and get all the data you want from the Node Red weather server.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have the ws-2902 from ambient. It works really well and you can view your station at ambientweather.net on any device. I have tried to get someone interested in doing a PI for ambient stations but got no takers.

OK, I just realized there are 2 scripts that can be run from HS for ambient weather stations. Does anyone know how I would implement these 2 scripts? thanks
          https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@...seer/vwswx.zip

Comment

Hello
            I have WMRS200 Oregon Scientific with the software VWS and plugins for HS3, I use inside weather sensors for temperature and Humidity (oregon THGR810) and outside (Wireless Rain Gauge Sensor-PCR800;Anemometer to measure wind speed and direction-WGR800; Remote temperature and humidity sensor-THGN801). These works very well with HS3 . There is only little error in a value read from the plugins in HS3 (Rate temperature) but for everything else, it's ok

Massimo-RenderCAD

Comment

I like Embedded Data Systems OWServer... very reliable and accurate.

Lucid - great screenshots of your hs designer on another board I saw you posted recently... any chance you would be willing by to share!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid View Post
                So I'm currently looking for a piece of hardware to monitor the weather outside. All I need is a temperature and humidity sensor, but I'm interested in things like wind and rain meters.
                [/URL]
                I just use Oregon Temp & humidity Sensors, Oregon Anemometer and Rain Gauge and use RFXCom kit to decode the comms and update devices in HS3. The RFXCom does a lot more that just the weather devices and you don't have to find somewhere for the weather station.

Scott

Comment

Also been struggling with this for awhile. Thought WeatherFlow might be a simple answer but doesn't look like they are going to be able to ship any products in the foreseeable future. I have a RainWse station with VWS but the PC that VWS runs on (dedicated to that purpose) frequently reboots due to VWS crashing it so not very reliable.

All I really need are some basic alerts:

Lightning detected

It has started raining

High Wind detected

Low temp/freeze warning

High Humidity

Rapid pressure drop (bad weather approaching)

Currently looking at Boltek for lightning detection but no idea how I will do the other alerts. Not interested in anything that relies on the Internet and shy of intermediary PC software due to my bad experience with VWS.

Comment

Hi mike,
                    I use the software version VWS 15.00 p05. I use the vws plugin in HS3 for 4 years and over time I have optimized some settings. Now the software is very stable. But you have to pay attention to many settings, if you want I can help you. Show me the screen shots of the settings.

Massimo-RenderCAD

Comment

The alternative software that you may want to review if you go down that route is Weather-Display (WD) and Jon00 has a plugin to integrate WD with HS3

Comment

The Observer IP module with any of the Ambient Weather PWS systems provides the standard data all local. There are some "computed" values that are not available local and the add-on sensors are not local.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                          The Observer IP module with any of the Ambient Weather PWS systems provides the standard data all local. There are some "computed" values that are not available local and the add-on sensors are not local.
                          Was Observer working wity itself? Not connect to weather station but use the temperature probe?

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post

Was Observer working wity itself? Not connect to weather station but use the temperature probe?
                            The ObserverIP can be coupled with the Indoor Temp/Humidity sensor and it does provide those readings local. That specific sensor is a standard indoor sensor that comes with different ObserverIP models of stations.

There are "add-on" sensors that now are able to connect to the ObserverIP but those are not available local and their data is only available through AmbientWeather.Net currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

The ObserverIP can be coupled with the Indoor Temp/Humidity sensor and it does provide those readings local. That specific sensor is a standard indoor sensor that comes with different ObserverIP models of stations.

There are "add-on" sensors that now are able to connect to the ObserverIP but those are not available local and their data is only available through AmbientWeather.Net currently.
                              Good. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X