Alternative names for devices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If at all possible, can there be a way to register multiple names for a device.

For example: Bedroom Light, Nightstand Light, Bedroom Nightstand light

This would make things more user friendly for house guests.

I'm thinking that this could be done by adding a some fields to define these alt names. Then in the background create some hidden virtual devices. That way you do not need to make any real changes on the echo side.

Tony
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
    Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

That is exactly what I do.

Create virtual devices for various rooms; for example "Lights".
    I may create that in several rooms, and use the virtual device for voice commands; not the actual devices. I use events to actually turn lights on and off, by triggering the event when the virtual device status changes.

Comment

I have asked the same thing in the past. Would make VR more user friendly to those that didn't program it and know what secret pass code is needed to be said to turn on the light.

We can do virtual devices and events, but that's a lengthy workaround.

Sent from my K01A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just go into the alexa app and create a group nightlight and have its only member the bedroom light - then you can control it as nightlight or bedroom light.

Comment

But what if my wife says table lights? Or bedroom lamps?

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
            Just go into the alexa app and create a group nightlight and have its only member the bedroom light - then you can control it as nightlight or bedroom light.
            That's actually a brilliant way to deal with the issue!
            I just created a group for every alias I could think of for each of my existing devices.

Thank you!!!

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              But what if my wife says table lights? Or bedroom lamps?
              create a group for that option as well.

Comment

Wouldn't it be smarter to have an extra field on the device in homeseer to parse out all possible things said [bedroom|night|table] light.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                  Wouldn't it be smarter to have an extra field on the device in homeseer to parse out all possible things said [bedroom|night|table] light.
                  Ultimately that would be the best option, but since it will never happen, this gets the same result right now.

Comment

I am glad it was helpful. I can not even tell you the number of groups I use for aliases. Technology is always evolving, and this technology will evolve. My philosophy is to do what works to serve my immediate needs and to be open to change. I started using ifttt for most functions, moved to the homeseer skill, and today mostly use the API. Kudos to homeseer for making so many options available.

Comment

Great idea. It will definitely make it easier for the wife. How are you guys naming your actual devices in HS and are you using location 1 and 2( room, floor) for HS devices. If so what naming convention are you using?

Sent from my iPhone
                      Tom
                      baby steps...starting again with HS3
                      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I am being specific for each light regardless of floor or location - bedroom light, red light, main light, reading light, kitchen light, etc.

Comment

I have changed my location 1 and 2 to be room and category (lights, sensors ect). I do the same with lights and name them out to what they actually are like above but had to change this because I initially was annoyed by master bedroom master bedroom light light names in the list of devices, but have changed some that I control with voice. I am going to look into the idea above as the wife won't use the echo because it never works for her since she doesn't know what I named things and has found all the names to call a light that I didn't think of.

Comment

Working...
                          X