No announcement yet.

Alexa Will Not Add More Than 300 HomeSeer Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good. They must have that information internally since they have to tell the devices that "lost the right to respond" to back down and the "one that won" to continue. It shouldn't be too difficult to expose that to a skill.

Thanks for looking in to adding this capability. Let me know if you need any "alpha" testing done.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      We have talked to Amazon about this, we want them to give us some ID of the echo that heard the command. Currently, they do not offer such a thing. We will keep trying.
      I am going to try for this also. A very good friend of mine is a principal in the production company that puts on all their product releases and he knows their Alexa/Ehco guy well. Will ping him now.

Who knows, but it's def worth a try
      cheeryfool

Comment

cheeryfool,

I'd recommend filing a request with developer relations and not attempting an end around. I think the last thing we want to do is mess with anything Rich already has going with Amazon.

--Ken
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Alexa Will Not Add More Than 300 HomeSeer Devices

I didn't mention HomeSeer. My buddy doesn't know the name either. It was a generic request to send back the ID of the Alexa enabled device that heard the request, to skills (in general)
          cheeryfool

Comment

I bet this will come in time as it would benefit many of their skills. There also is not anything sensitive about which of the devices got it. But then, I guess if junior has one and they order a bunch of pizza's.....Anyways, good idea.
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
              I didn't mention HomeSeer. My buddy doesn't know the name either. It was a generic request to send back the ID of the Alexa enabled device that heard the request, to skills (in general)
              Hi cheeryfool,

Sorry. I didn't mean my last post to sound as stern as it came out. I just know of a situation awhile back were a lead developer got really "angry" when a feature request was made to his VP at a dinner party instead of via a proper channel. The VP came down on the lead for not coming up with the idea on his own.

Sounds like your generic request was good but it will be interesting to see how that topic would come up in a conversation.

--Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                Hi cheeryfool,

Sorry. I didn't mean my last post to sound as stern as it came out. I just know of a situation awhile back were a lead developer got really "angry" when a feature request was made to his VP at a dinner party instead of via a proper channel. The VP came down on the lead for not coming up with the idea on his own.

Sounds like your generic request was good but it will be interesting to see how that topic would come up in a conversation.

--Ken
                NP at all. In fact it was kind of a reverse inquiry. Apparently the Amazon guy (and I don't know who it is, but he's def very senior in the Alexa space) got talking to my buddy at one of the product release rehearsals and my buddy mentioned that he had a friend who was big into HA (his words) and was using the Echo. The Amazon guy said that he was always very interested in hearing about use cases and potential enhancements from end users.
                cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                X