Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Practices for ISY / HS Integration using BObs plugin

see below
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Room organization and labeling....

Do you use Dinningroom or Dinning room or Dinning Room, or just Dinning for simplicity? I used to use Dinningroom to eliminate the space, but have also considered using just Dinning to simplify and eliminate space constraints.

How about Master Suite or Master Bedroom? While some folks have more of a suite, I recently asked my wife what she consider it and I was happy to hear that she had a opinion on the subject as home automation is not her thing. Master Bedroom it is. It is good go get the other members of the family involved as then they have more of an interest and understanding. Key factor.

Do you use location and location2 definition in HomeSeer? We currently use both, but am considering going to just one for simplicity. But then it certainly is a trend to use both.

I am also attempting to pair down unnecessary devices. Have created a folder named “System” and “Insteon” where all unnecessary devices from a day-to-day perspective will reside. That way i can look at them if needed, but other family members will not be overwhelmed. My thought in terms of organization are that only necessary devices should be there, same goes for scenes. If a scene controls multiple devices (three way for example) then only the scene will be in the room folder and the devices will go into the System/Insteon folder.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Does no one other than Bob or I want to talk about best practices? I am actually very surprised. The reason I created this thread is for all of us to share our experiences and tips so that folks new to this can have a leg up and not fall into the pitfalls that we all have already wrestled with.

There are clearly many permutations of options. After using the plugin over the past 8 years, I have come to the conclusion that some organization is required such that the clutter is eliminated and usability of Insteon devices is more efficient and understandable for folks that personally do not care about the difference between individual Insteon devices or Insteon scenes (any proper usage of each of their properties).

Perfect example...
      1.) I have a Insteon Relay module that has options in the HS web device management screen that shows "fast on/fast off". While I presume that this is an actual available Insteon command, it does not make sense for a relay module as it only can turn things on or off. Certainly not slower or faster. Just on/off. I don't fault Bob for adding the additional options as it may be a flaw with Insteon design.

2.) I went through per the best practices and created folders based on the floor layout of my house. Of course through this process many Insteon scenes have also been created. Now, we end up with all of the devices and scenes in the same HS Web view. I am seriously contemplating restructuring this so that the Insteon scenes will show up in the folder structure and the Insteon devices actually show up in a "System/Insteon" folder. This is mainly because I want my family to use the scenes versus the devices for control.

Do we all just put up with the clutter? Or, am I over dramatic about it? Am I the only one whos wife is raising the concern that the usability of all of this technology is not easy to understand?
      Last edited by Krumpy; December 22, 2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Ok, I'll jump in. About 8 years with Insteon and ISY. Both have been solid products and Bob's plugin really let someone take advantage.

I don't like spaces in device names. I use underscores. All Devices are named RoomName_Device.

As for organization on the ISY itself, I foldered/grouped devices by device type. Keypad_Swtiches, Keypad_Dimmers, Relays, RemoteLincs, Door_Window_Sensors, Motions_Sensors etc. I don't hide any devices from HS, I use HS to do any filters.

I don't use the folder name to location/room mapping feature.
        My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

My first thought on this was, "uh... I did all that so darn long ago I don't remember what I did." But the reality is that I re-did it a few times... which painfully seared a lot in my mind. Good news is it's really easy to see in the ISY admin interface.

Every device uses a full descriptive name with periods for hierarchy.
          Master.Bath.Shower (device)
          Kitchen.Sink
          Kitchen.Coffee.Module
          Office
          Office.Desk

Scenes all start with a * or a ~ to designate them as scenes and to segregate them as used for control versus used to keep status stuff in sync (and thus not used after being created).
          Control scene example:
          *Master.Bath.Shower
          --> Master.Bath.Key.B (device - controller)
          --> Master.Bath.Shower (device - controller)

Status scene example:
          ~Status.Out.Lights
          (turned on by program if any individual outside light becomes on)
          (if on and turned off, turns off ALL outside lights)

Other stuff I guess I'll add:
          I got rid of all the Insteon motion stuff. Terrible battery life.
          And at this point, I'd go Z-Wave over Insteon - even though I love the KPLs and there's nothing like them in Z-Wave.
          I'd be tempted to use the ISY even with Z-Wave. I like all that stuff being kept away from HS.
          I also use Elk M1G directly to ISY for motion and garage and stuff like that. As good as HS is, I like that so much stuff is handled at a really low-level without involving HS (though it is updated and current, of course).

Comment

Working...
          X