HVAC damper duct & wood blind additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC damper duct & wood blind additions

I am currently working on a trial version of HS3 Pro. I have played around with a few different home automation software solutions, but have found Homeseer to be the one I will be purchasing for my HA needs. As I am working on designing my home theater I have found a couple other ideas that I need solutions for. I was hoping that I could get some guidance.

1. I want to add an additional duct off my main HVAC line that will be in my theater. Maybe 2 ducts, depending.
    a. Should I put the ducts in the ceiling or run them in the wall so the ducts are closer to the floor? Seeing as how heat rises, I figured having them down low might make sense, but I am not an HVAC guy, so that is why I am asking this.
    b. I want to put a motorized damper in the line so that I can have a separate thermostat in my theater, which would open the duct when it needs head, and closes it when it doesn't. I understand that since this is not a multi-zone furnace, heat and AC would only be running through the line when it's called for by the main thermostat. I am ok with that, as I know the damper would potentially be left open for a while if there is no air flowing to head up or cool down my theater. I would prefer a technology that is hardwired so I don't have to change batteries. I want to tie it into my HS software, so I was thinking sometime of z-wave technology would allow for what I need. Any recommendations on what type of damper with z-wave technology would work? I have a fully open floor plan, so I could potentially work with any size/shape of duct run. I prefer a 6" round run, but am open to whatever would work best.
    c. what thermostat would work with this? Now this thermostat would not need to actually control a furnace, so maybe a wired or wireless thermometer would work for this?

Or maybe someone has a better suggestion for heat in a basement? I thought about small thin wall mounted propane units, as I can tie in to the main propane line and vent to the outside with no problem.

2. I have a window that I want to be able to control window treatment. I want to be able to open/close a wood blind with 2 1/2 inch slats. I would like to be able to not only open and close them, but open them to specific degrees, ie. not fully open, but like 1/4 open 1/3 open, etc. I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions on what would work for this scenario? I would prefer hardwired for this solution also. Also is it possible to have some type of light sensor so that when the sunlight is bright, it automatically closes the blinds?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Working...
X