Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EZFlora HS3 - no rain sensor but HS3 rain sensor device toggles on and off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EZFlora HS3 - no rain sensor but HS3 rain sensor device toggles on and off?

I'm a new EZFlora user. Downloaded this plugin for HS3. Was happy to find the ability to set the program times from inside the plugin and not need separate software. I'm using all eight zones. Rain Sensor, Meter Count and Water Pump are all set to False. Polling is set to the default 0. I had no problems with this plugin talking to Mark's Insteon plugin.

Since this was my first time taking it for a spin, I set some events to alert me as the state of the devices changed. Specifically I created speech events for ON and OFF states for the four programs and for the Rain Sensor as I've read here others have found it on mysteriously and that apparently can cause commands to be inhibited.

I setup program one so all eight zones run 25 minutes (my normal plan)

I setup program two so all eight zones run 1 minute. I did this so I can test some water hammer/air issues I'm having.

When testing with program 2, I found it interesting that I would get speech events about the state of all four programs as well as the state of the rain sensor which claimed to go ON and later OFF. These events came in when I first turned program 2 on and again with each valve change. The log is attached for review (up to valve 4, then I stopped the program). I assume these are messages being generated by the EZFlora device itself and true, I can just ignore all the program states as it's really just repetitive info.

Why is the rain sensor claiming to go ON and OFF ?

Also, is there value in enabling polling? Are there times when the device state in HS3 might not match the hardware itself and polling corrects that?
    Attached Files
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

I apologize for the delayed response. The rain sensor status only changes based on updates received from the EZFlora device. Some others have had issues with this as well and it seems to be limited to a few devices possibly based on the hardware revision. You can try adding a pull-up resistor as shown here:

http://www.simplehomenet.com/Downloa...ct%20Guide.pdf

This will hopefully take care of any spurious signals on the rain sensor lines. Otherwise, it may be that you have a defective EZFlora device.

I would recommend enabling polling since there are certain device changes that are not automatically transmitted. This will cause the EZFlora device status to not be in agreement with the HS device status.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Adam

Comment

Thanks Adam!

I did purchase the breakout connector and am now looking for an actual rain sensor to use with it. I guess in the mean time I'll setup the pull-up resistor and see if the rain sensor state change goes away.

Appreciate the info on the polling as well.

I just completed my license purchase. Thanks for a great plugin.
      HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
      Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Picked up a 1/2w 4.7K ohm pack of resistors from radio shack and installed one across the breakout connector pins 2 and 6. I then wired in a magnetic reed to pins 6 and 7 so I can simulate an actual rain sensor NC/NO. Connected the breaktout back to the EZFlora with a cat5e patch cable. Fired everything back and now I seem to be able to reliably control the state of the rain sensor.

Reed switch in NC = Rain Sensor Off

Reed switch in NO = Rain Sensor On

No idea if this lines up with the NC/NO that a rain sensor produces but at least it's repeatable and I have a poor man's way to bypass watering without going into HS3 and disabling the event. Now to find a good rain sensor and figure out how to run wires to the basement where the EZFlora lives...

Seems like Smartenit should include the 4.7k resistor when you buy the breakout connector since the rain sensor doesn't have a built in pull-up. It wouldn't be expensive and the connector comes in a little plastic bag so just drop in the resistor. Even if I don't want to use the rain sensor I'd like to pull it up so it doesn't go on and off randomly.
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
        X