Developer License?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer License?!?!

I don't want to do development on my live HS3 system (a BIG no-no!!). So I contacted HS and they provided me with a license that I could use for development. This license just expired and I wanted to renew it. However, I am being told that I now need to buy a developer license. While I didn't ask for the price, the developer license apparently is more expensive than the licenses they have on sale right now. This is really disappointing and frankly will just make me stop continue on my project which ends up being a big waste of time.

How are you developing your plugins? Are you paying for a license? If not, are you using your live system to develop plugins? Or do you make a good amount of money from selling plugins that you can easily purchase another license?

Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

If they have to give you hardware for development then I can understand they have to cover their cost for the hardware. I am on the same page with you on that. Charging us for software to do development, which helps them with making their product more attractive, rubs me the wrong way. In any case, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        I don't want to do development on my live HS3 system (a BIG no-no!!). So I contacted HS and they provided me with a license that I could use for development. This license just expired and I wanted to renew it. However, I am being told that I now need to buy a developer license. While I didn't ask for the price, the developer license apparently is more expensive than the licenses they have on sale right now. This is really disappointing and frankly will just make me stop continue on my project which ends up being a big waste of time.

How are you developing your plugins? Are you paying for a license? If not, are you using your live system to develop plugins? Or do you make a good amount of money from selling plugins that you can easily purchase another license?
        I develop on my live HS system because I like to live life on the edge, in all reality whilst it does not sound like a great idea I would like to think that I couldn't really destroy my live system by writing a plugin (even before when I have been a bit careless with a loop and created thousands of devices there has been little implication on the HS system). In any case they are run remotely from my PC that I do my development work on. I guess because there is likely to be no functional difference between the two licences HST don't want a shortcut to a cheaper licence by people just saying they are a developer.

For anything Linux I do create a VM and get rid of it once I have tested things, that seems to work OK for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
          I develop on my live HS system because I like to live life on the edge, in all reality whilst it does not sound like a great idea I would like to think that I couldn't really destroy my live system by writing a plugin (even before when I have been a bit careless with a loop and created thousands of devices there has been little implication on the HS system). In any case they are run remotely from my PC that I do my development work on. I guess because there is likely to be no functional difference between the two licences HST don't want a shortcut to a cheaper licence by people just saying they are a developer.

For anything Linux I do create a VM and get rid of it once I have tested things, that seems to work OK for me.
          I do the same which is risky but I take lots of full backups and have so far always been able to recover when I mess things up. It would be a lot easier to have a separate development system running but I'm not going to pay for another license to develop a plug-in that I then give away free!

It's ok for a tinkerer like me but if I was developing and maintaining multiple plug-ins it wouldn't wash.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
            ...but I'm not going to pay for another license to develop a plug-in that I then give away free!..
            That is exactly the same for me, I don't earn anything (above the odd donation) so to pay back a HS licence is going to take an incredibly long time - back to my functional point, HST aren't going to give me or others a free development licence for free plugins because they are effectively giving away a free complete HS licence.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
              I guess because there is likely to be no functional difference between the two licences HST don't want a shortcut to a cheaper licence by people just saying they are a developer.
              It sounds like they are offering that developer license at a lower price so that still exposes them to misuse. I am sure there are ways to detect misuse because a development machine would be used quite differently than a real machine (frequent removing/adding plugins, few z-wave devices as they can only be paired with one HomeSeer and you would only pair a few with the development machine, etc).

Btw, does anybody know how much the development license is? And is it the HS3 or HS3 Pro? I don't plan to buy one but I am just curious.

Comment

I do believe if you have a valid Homeseer license you are allowed to run a windows version and a Linux version at the same time. I run Linux for my house and develop against windows. I inquired about a development license awhile back and $130 u.s. comes to mind, but Don't hold me to it.
                https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

@mulu: Who at HS told you this?
                  I was told a long time ago that using your prod license on a dev machine was just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

What is posted from Rich back in 2013 is
                    Anyone who purchases HS3 can use their license on either the Windows or Linux version, so you get the Linux version for free.
                    I interpreted this that one could run both Windows and Linux at the same time. Same as being able to run HS2 and HS3 at the same time if one went the upgrade path to HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                      @mulu: Who at HS told you this? I was told a long time ago that using your prod license on a dev machine was just fine.
                      This is from HS support directly. They basically helped me extend my trial version for development purposes. I am pretty sure they know that I have a valid HS3 Pro license as it's registered under the same email address.

Now if it's indeed correct that I can install my HS3 Pro license on another computer for development then that completely solves my issue. I didn't do that because I figured it might either be against the license agreement and/or it might break things (as there are two identical licenses on two computers) and/or they might suddenly stop my license due to suspicion of fraud. But if I indeed can use the license on another computer for development than I am as happy as a clam.

As for using another copy on Linux, that's a good advice (thanks!) but I am not using Linux and I am not planning to use Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                        What is posted from Rich back in 2013 is

I interpreted this that one could run both Windows and Linux at the same time. Same as being able to run HS2 and HS3 at the same time if one went the upgrade path to HS3.

if i understand... i can use my pro licence i have (windows ) ...on another linux computer?

Can this linux PC be at my mom's house for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                          if i understand... i can use my pro licence i have (windows ) ...on another linux computer?
                          Can this linux PC be at my mom's house for example?
                          I checked the license agreement which says "You may install the SOFTWARE on only one computer at a single location unless expressly specified otherwise by HOMESEER in writing."

So as expected the answer is no. That also means you cannot install the same license on another computer even if it's just for development purposes. Not happy anymore!!!

Comment

Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

50% is what they have once a year (it's going on right now and will end in a couple of days). Creating a VM and installing trial licenses on those is one approach. It's just cumbersome for something that would be for HS' benefit.

Your thinking out-of-the-box is appreciated regarding checking on licenses. However, I don't think it will work in the proposed form. This might be ok for people who already sell a plugin and make money (after the 30% cut HS gets) so they kind of can justify the additional expense. However, there are many people who want to just try it. Many will give up and only a few will actually sell it. But if you make the hurdle even higher by charging for a 'development license' then you are going to miss out on plugins that make HS more attractive.

The main reason I switched to HS is not just because it doesn't depend on the cloud and doesn't charge a monthly fee (these are my very basic 'must' requirements) but because of the openness for customization and the community support. That's why it rubs me the wrong way that I now need to pay for a development license.

Comment

Working...
                              X