SONOFF RF Single Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SONOFF RF Single Relay

I have a 4 Ch Pro hooked up and configured really easy. Very neat 4 dry contact relay.

Now I'm looking at the single relay RF module to control ceiling fans. The small size and price would work good on existing fans.

Will the RFXCOM plug-in control the single relay?
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

This relay can be used:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...718778009.html

Create a Lighting4 Output device in the RFXCOM plugin, see chapter 8.40 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide.
    Select a random ID, for example: D2 16 B1 and a pulse length of 370

Note that RF 433MHz control of the relay has only a toggle function and no On/Off command.

FYI: the Lucci Air fan http://www.lucciair.com/ is also supported. This fan can be fully controlled. See chapter 8.46 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide.

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
      This relay can be used:
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...718778009.html

Create a Lighting4 Output device in the RFXCOM plugin, see chapter 8.40 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide.
      Select a random ID, for example: D2 16 B1 and a pulse length of 370

Note that RF 433MHz control of the relay has only a toggle function and no On/Off command.
      OK, I've used this method to pair a Sonoff TX T2US1C Smart Wall Switch. I've noted that it is toggle only.

Question. Is it capable of indicating on off status? The switch is responding, but the status always has a value of 100 (On)

Comment

it is not possible to have the right status displayed for a toggle device.

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
          it is not possible to have the right status displayed for a toggle device.
          OK, guess I have to use a virtual switch.

Comment

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post

OK, guess I have to use a virtual switch.
            I suggest to look at https://shop.shelly.cloud/ the devices are amazing. A bit dearer then Sonoff, but features and quality is 10 times better.

Comment

Shelly does not produce a RF device.

The Sonoff RF can be flashed with Tasmota firmware. It still functions using RF, but also adds MQTT WiFi communication that provides discrete on and off status response as well as discrete on and off commands. Flashing guidance is at https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/wiki/sonoff-RF. mcsMQTT plugin is no cost for HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                Shelly does not produce a RF device.

The Sonoff RF can be flashed with Tasmota firmware. It still functions using RF, but also adds MQTT WiFi communication that provides discrete on and off status response as well as discrete on and off commands. Flashing guidance is at https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/wiki/sonoff-RF. mcsMQTT plugin is no cost for HS.
                Thanks for this. I may look into it. However, while I am in a testing phase at the moment having bought just one Sonoff TX T2US to play with, I am not too keen on having to flash over 12 wall switches if I do go down this route to change all my wall switches.

The Sonoff TX T2US is natively WiFi capable (2.4GHz). What is the advantage of Tasmota over the native WiFi?

Comment

The factory firmware uses the China cloud so integration is rather limited. Tasmota only uses local network and supports standard protocols such as MQTT. HTTP can also be used, but not nearly as well integrated into HS as MQTT.

i have no experience with your specific model, but do have it with many products. Sonoff generally makes it pretty easy. Once you get over the learning curve of the first one then the next batch goes pretty fast. Once flashed the firmware can later be updated using WIFi if you find some need for an update.

Comment

Thanks for the advise which I will seriously consider.

I just noticed Alex also has a Sonoff plugin. Just going through all the literature now, but wondering if that uses local network?

Comment

BTW, I just found a guide to flash the Sonoff TX T2 with Tasmota ... https://tasmota.github.io/docs/#/dev...d=sonoff-t1-us

Comment

His Sonoff plugin is only for the DIY devices of which there are only a few and none do RF. The Sonoff DIY is a product like that was recently released and missed the mark so expect much to change in the next generation.

It would also be a good idea to confirm whatever product you select meets local electrical codes. In my county mains-level devices need UL certification. I am not aware of any IOT consumer device from China that has gone through the time and expense for this. Their product cycles are too short and their price points too low. They may or may not be safe in the long term as nobody is looking at them with a rigorous methodology.

Comment

I'm in Vietnam and codes here are pretty lax or non-existent. In any case, modern Vietnamese houses are built with brick, concrete and steel. Love it! Indeed we never bother with home insurance here. All my wall sockets and wire conduits are set in brick and mortar.

Comment

No Disney World in Vietnam. You need to get your excitement with 220V going through your body with ungrounded circuit and wet hands flipping the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                              No Disney World in Vietnam. You need to get your excitement with 220V going through your body with ungrounded circuit and wet hands flipping the switch.
                              In this case doubt if a short would travel through the glass touch panel Anyway, we're used to getting tingling feelings from all kinds of consumer white goods such as microwaves and washing machines here We've adapted with quick reactions .. hahaha. Yes, no laughing matter where you are, but you need a sense of humor to live here. I often have to change the 2 pin plugs to 3 pins on my consumer white goods. I ensured a ground circuit was installed when I built the house.

Thanks for all the advice. Think I will try the Tasmota route. Just ordered a CH340G from a local store to get started.

I'll stay with the Sonoff TX T2 wall switches which are readily available locally which makes them preferable to the suggested Shelly products.

Which plugin should I be using to interface with the Tasmota firmware on the Sonoff switch?

Comment

Working...
                              X