Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-wave long delays / not responding - where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I'm going to try a powered USB hub and an Aerotec Z-Stick.

I'm trying to bring some rigour to this process, so I've written a simple 'ping-like' script. This will toggle a zwave device every 10 seconds, and check the status of the device has changed. This should make it much easier to identify problems, rather than my current ad-hoc approach...

You can find the script here - https://gist.github.com/jnpoyser/61d...6e4166f6426b49

Gives an output like this:

Code:
    2018-02-17 15:13:14 +0000 - OK    - Set: device 146 status set to 0. Took 36.854ms
    2018-02-17 15:13:16 +0000 - OK    - Check: device 146 has expected status of 0
    2018-02-17 15:13:24 +0000 - OK    - Set: device 146 status set to 255. Took 35.372ms
    2018-02-17 15:13:26 +0000 - OK    - Check: device 146 has expected status of 255
    2018-02-17 15:13:34 +0000 - OK    - Set: device 146 status set to 0. Took 100.108ms
    2018-02-17 15:13:36 +0000 - OK    - Check: device 146 has expected status of 0
    2018-02-17 15:13:44 +0000 - OK    - Set: device 146 status set to 255. Took 33.674ms
    2018-02-17 15:13:46 +0000 - OK    - Check: device 146 has expected status of 255
    Be warned - it's a ruby script, which I suspect isn't the poison of choice for the HS community...

Comment

The error you see "is normal" for the UZB.
      Before version .179 of the z-waveplugin you had to power off the UZB to get it running again when that happened.

"With the UZB interface a "Start Of Frame" message was sometimes missed if there were existing packets in the Z-Wave interface. Not sure why this happens as I don't see it on other interfaces. But I now detect it and recover. Hence you may see one error but it should always recover now." (from https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...=192530&page=2 )

Comment

Comment

Glad it sounds like you got it working!

Comment

Is it easy to change over from one USB stick to another?

Comment

It's not easy as in plug and go, but not terribly hard.

I had to reassociate each device with the new stick. This is helped massively by the fact the Aeotec usb stick has a battery in it. I walked around the house, long pressed the button on the stick, disassociated the zwave device, short press on stick to associate with new network. The stick made it as pain free as could be.

It gave me the opportunity to tidy up device naming in HS. Downside, I had to update each event to work with the new device instances.

Comment

Thanks. I had a feeling it would be less than straightforward.

Comment

aren't you able to backup the old USB Z wave gateway and just restore to the new one?

Steve

Comment

Could be wrong, but don't think aeon supports restore.

Comment

Originally posted by theendisnye View Post
                      aren't you able to backup the old USB Z wave gateway and just restore to the new one?

Steve

Comment

HomeSeer does not support restore to the Aeon Stick because Aeon Labs won't allow it....

But UZB1 is better in most ways for us Europeans, anyway.
                        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post

Intrigued - why do you say that?

Comment

HomeSeer does not support restore to the Aeon Stick because Aeon Labs won't allow it....

Comment

For the same reason that Aeon doesn't allow Homeseer to do firmware updates on their products, I would guess. Aeon wants you to use their software to do the updates, but won't provide the code to use what is built into Homeseer.

I like most Aeon products, but their closed-shop approach has been moving me away from them.

Comment

UZB1's work great for me too. I have 2 networks on UZB1s. I also have spares because they are cheap and I can hopefully restore a network to a new stick if one failed.

I suspect that the resolution of the delays experienced by the author of this thread may have been more to do with excluding everything and creating a new network than the change of stick, though I could be wrong.
                                In my experience ZWave can be a pain to set up nut once working it is good. I try not to mess with mine if possible

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X