Bali Blinds Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bali Blinds Integration

We are going to get Bali roller shades from HomeDepot. I understand they now have motors with z-wave integrated. I kind of like that solution because

* Even without HomeSeer they shades will work with the included remote.
    * I can add automation through HomeSeer and not requiring a 3rd party plugin.

On the other hand, I have a lot of ST30 RS-485 motors. They are wired (which I always prefer for higher reliability) and they provide positional feedback. The issue I have with this solution is that:

* I think I need a 3rd party plugin to control the shades through HomeSeer
    * How do I control the shades when HomeSeer is down for whatever reason?
    * What remote controls can I use to control the shades?

There is the ZRTSI device but I believe doesn't apply to the ST RS-485 (it's just an RF-2-ZWave converter). There is a ILT to Z-wave controller (1870171) but I need one for each shade and they are about $200/piece. So what I am looking for, if I go with the RS-485 approach, is an ILT-2-ZWave controller that can handle multiple shades plus remote controls.

I was about to go somfy route and I bought a Rfxcom from eaby for like 120.00ish (still have it never used, for sale)

http://www.rfxcom.com/epages/7816546...s/Transceivers

But I ended up with the Bali shades from Homedepot. I love them and the batteries have been lasting a long time. I have never changed the batteries yet, I open and close them atleast 1 time a day (generally not much more). I posted videos and photos in details on the site here. They intergrate easy and work well so I wouldn't go the much more expensive way. Also direct z-wave without haveing to use the Rfxcom plugin and external radios and such seems like a better deal.

Scroll down to reply #15 in this thread and you can see the pics, videos and imperihome integration.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...69#post1314169

EDIT: I installed them in July last year, I used the Expensive Energizer lithium ultimate AA batteries that came with them. They are still going strong, Homeseer says 100% (which can't be right) battery so I'm unsure just how long they will last but I'm impressed so far. They have an option to daisy chain two battery packs, but I only have the one. My blinds are probley like 4 foot wide and 2 foot tall.

Comment

I have not looked at Home Depot yet on the price. Do you have a ball park on the price for one of the shades. You mentioned a 2 by 4 foot shade.

Thanks for the help. I really like the idea of automated shades and would like to have an idea of the price before working on selling the wife (LOL).
      Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
        I have not looked at Home Depot yet on the price. Do you have a ball park on the price for one of the shades. You mentioned a 2 by 4 foot shade.

Thanks for the help. I really like the idea of automated shades and would like to have an idea of the price before working on selling the wife (LOL).
        Mine were something like 250ish for the ones in the video. Both are ruffly the same size. And i think depot had a 20% off sale or somthing.

You can build them online and get your own price right from depots website without signing up or anything. In store takes longer.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by farfromuman View Post
            When I looked into the roller type it looked like they were not z-wave.
            I can't speak for Lowes, but Bali Z-wave are called "AutoView" or "AutoView Motorized Lift" and they come in roller also. Homedepot carries them and mine even had a display with the z-wave autoview remote to test them.

https://www.baliblinds.com/products/...roller-shades/

EDIT: For some more info in case the other threads weren't read. Bali is the big box brand for the parent company "Graber" who is then owned by Springs Window Fashions. So outside of homedepot and lowes you may find some good deals on say https://www.zebrablinds.com/smart-ho...lectric-shades which might say "Grabber". It's the same company as Bali in case you seem sketched out.
            Last edited by integlikewhoa; February 21, 2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

The company is actually Graber with one B. Maybe auto-correct bit you like it tried to do to me as I made this reply.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                The company is actually Graber with one B. Maybe auto-correct bit you like it tried to do to me as I made this reply.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                Thanks

Comment

I've been looking for some time.

I've been thinking and looking at a blind solution for a couple of years. The bali blinds are very nice, but a little more than I wanted to spend at around $275 per window (times 9 windows). I have ordered a rfxcom and one of the cheap 12-24 volt motor shades from amazon to try out. there is a guy in the question/reviews that said he got the rfx to see them as a rollertrol device. I will let you know how it goes. I have already received the motor but I am waiting for the rfx to show up. should be here by the end of the week.

this is a link to the motor....
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the update'

The bad news is, I received the motor, and the motor was dead. However, the good news is I was able to see the remote "ack" in the rfxcom manager software , and the motor gave me a response beep as it was suppose to (as rollertrol) ... so it looks like this will work. that said, I have shipped back the motor for a replacement. I am 99% sure this will work to build my own shades. you can buy black out vinyl material on amazon fairly cheap. so I might end up with $65 -$100 per window in the end.

vinyl material.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9H7H6O...ing=UTF8&psc=1

update 2...I got the new motor and remote...these cheap 12 volt shade motors connect easily to rfxcom. use rollertrol type 2 firmware in the rfxcom install the plugin, learn the remote code and off you go. You can easily build window shades for under a $100
                  Last edited by wadesready; March 2, 2018, 11:35 AM. Reason: update 2

Comment

I am in the midst of remodeling and when everything is done next month I plan to put at least 1 of the Bali shades into my bedroom. I am hoping I can get 1 shade that is wide enough to cover all three of the windows. Pretty excited to hear that these seem to work well, shades have been a bit of a thorn for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                      I am in the midst of remodeling and when everything is done next month I plan to put at least 1 of the Bali shades into my bedroom. I am hoping I can get 1 shade that is wide enough to cover all three of the windows. Pretty excited to hear that these seem to work well, shades have been a bit of a thorn for a long time.
                      I know there is some size limits for the "Autoview" shades. If I build them on homedepot's website the autoview option will show up if it's within the limits, but if you try to build say a 12" wide (its to narrow for the motor) blind "Autoview" will not show up as a selectable option. So i'm not sure what all the size limits are but they do exist.

Comment

Ok, I decided to ditch the idea of using my own motors and instead use their z-wave motors. I already have my own cables in place but need to attach connectors so the installer can simply plug them in. Does anybody know what type of connectors these blinds come with? We ordered the ones that come with a power adapter (so instead of using the power adapter we use direct wiring).

Comment

They use usb, but it's been to long to know which usb it was.

Comment

Working...
                          X