Wifi sleep problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi sleep problem

This is a well known Android bug I am aware, but I am looking for ideas of workarounds or solutions others have found.
    Android 6 and newer, the wifi never sleep option does not work. That means the phones wfif goes to sleep at night (or after a while of inactivity). This makes using wifi connected as a means to determine if the phone is at home unusable. But I also use this to tell the house I am home, as soon as my phone logs into my wifi, it tells the house I'm home. All fine on my phone (Android 5), but not on my wife's Android 6 phone. I think because the Wifi is asleep egigeozone is very slow reporting the right location, so it can take 5 or 10 minutes for the phone to report her home. In the meantime I am getting lots of alerts that a burglar is in the house, and all speakers in the house blast on full volume that a burglary is in progress... quite funny first of all but not ideal.
    So using the ping PI works for the old Androids, but not with the newer ones as the phone and wifi aree asleep. Same with my AP which does not report the phone logging in.
    Running out of ideas.

I haven't noticed that Android puts WiFi to sleep. The issues I have seen on Android is the apps being put to sleep to conserve energy, but that's easily taken care of with settings.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
      I haven't noticed that Android puts WiFi to sleep. The issues I have seen on Android is the apps being put to sleep to conserve energy, but that's easily taken care of with settings.
      I have excluded tasker and egigeozone from battery management. I have also selected wifi always on in the settings. But I can see from my ping PI and from my AP messages that the phone disconnects after a period of inactivity. Having googled it, there is a bug in the newer Androids, wheer turning wifi to always on does not work any more, wifi still goes to sleep.

Comment

Well that sucks.

I'm still using a Note 2 because it just works and all of the new phones have nothing to offer me. At some point though I'm going to have to replace it as current high tech is plain disposable. Who'da thunk it that in so many ways modern phones perform worse than my old Dell Axim pocket PC. My x girlfriend had an apple phone and it would do that. Was a total PITA. Does EgiGeoZone work reliably on newer phones now? As I recall there was a time where newer Android versions were beating it into submission.

I'm indignant. I want my technology to do what I tell it to do. This is making me misanthropic.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          Well that sucks.

I'm still using a Note 2 because it just works and all of the new phones have nothing to offer me. At some point though I'm going to have to replace it as current high tech is plain disposable. Who'da thunk it that in so many ways modern phones perform worse than my old Dell Axim pocket PC. My x girlfriend had an apple phone and it would do that. Was a total PITA. Does EgiGeoZone work reliably on newer phones now? As I recall there was a time where newer Android versions were beating it into submission.

I'm indignant. I want my technology to do what I tell it to do. This is making me misanthropic.
          Having googled the wifi problem, I think even the newest Android version have that bug. I think the newest Oreo beta even got rid of the switch to keep wifi alive...
          Luckily I am still on a rooted Samsung S6 with Anroid 5... getting problems now with apps crashing probably as the apps getting updated an the OS is getting old. But as you said, no need to upgrade the phone, the hardware is still sufficient for me. But at some point I will have to... and I hate the idea of going back to Apple... Android please fix it !

Comment

I hate the idea of going back to Apple.
            I spent many years with Android phones whilst the rest of my family were iSheep. Not that I was Anti-Apple, more that I was familiar with the Android culture and didn't see any reason to change.

My trusty old HTC died in late summer last year, so after some deliberation I thought why not give iPhone a go. I ended up with an iPhone 7 and to be perfectly honest although I do have some dislikes, I've got on with it OK.

I don't really use actual location of family members in my HS system but I do use geofencing and have found zone detection to be 100% reliable using Locative and 100m radius fences in contrast to a very hit and miss affair with Android 6 on my old phone. My previous Android 5 device was fine with geofencing but that all went west with Android 6.

The HSTouch experience (IMO) is terrible on iOS compared to Android but I only use it from my phone once in a blue moon so no big deal there.

Paul..

Comment

Working...
            X