Sonos Error on random speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
    I can confirm this. When I try to disable sonos plugin homeseer hangs and I have to reboot.
    Please take log

Comment

I can confirm this. When I try to disable sonos plugin homeseer hangs and I have to reboot.
      Just want to add some insight to better zoom in what might be going on. First of all PI are stand-alone applications. They communicate with HS over a framework, sort of like a TCP connection where both ends of the communication know that the other side is still alive or dead. Unless you have the developer mode clicked, this timeout is fairly short. So in theory (and in 99.999% of case in practice), PIs don't hang up HS or vice-versa. I can see say the HS screen to manage PIs to get stuck but that would be an HS issue (or improvement) and might point to the communication framework not doing what it is supposed to or you just wait until it times-out, I don't think it influences the HS behavior at all nor would it require a restart. Having that said, if the comm framework is in trouble I bet you your environment is in trouble (memory, handles, stuck threads...) and I'd recommend you to go to the tools page and display the resources (is it under about and HS version xxx?).
      If we are talking about a page the PI provided, say the config page or the player control page, if the PI is not running, HS should have removed those links from its menu. It works fairly well but not all the time, so on occasion you may have a menu item that is not responding. As to the PI, there are few if any cases I can remember where the PI is stuck, it is fairly multi-threaded and unless there is a resource issue, tends to remain responsive, especially the main thread which maintains communication with HS and for sure would see the shut-down coming in. One thing to note though is that this PI is a multipleinstancesingleexe kind of PI, so HS knows it has multiple instances but it is all one big executable. There is a good chance that HS is still thinking some instance is still alive and perhaps that's why it is "waiting for the PI to shut down".
      So next time all of it gets stuck, open another browser, open in log, go to other browser window, hit refresh or do whatever caused no response and see if you can capture anything. Also display resources!!
      Hope this will help focus where we should look.
      Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
        Just want to add some insight to better zoom in what might be going on. First of all PI are stand-alone applications. They communicate with HS over a framework, sort of like a TCP connection where both ends of the communication know that the other side is still alive or dead. Unless you have the developer mode clicked, this timeout is fairly short. So in theory (and in 99.999% of case in practice), PIs don't hang up HS or vice-versa. I can see say the HS screen to manage PIs to get stuck but that would be an HS issue (or improvement) and might point to the communication framework not doing what it is supposed to or you just wait until it times-out, I don't think it influences the HS behavior at all nor would it require a restart. Having that said, if the comm framework is in trouble I bet you your environment is in trouble (memory, handles, stuck threads...) and I'd recommend you to go to the tools page and display the resources (is it under about and HS version xxx?).
        If we are talking about a page the PI provided, say the config page or the player control page, if the PI is not running, HS should have removed those links from its menu. It works fairly well but not all the time, so on occasion you may have a menu item that is not responding. As to the PI, there are few if any cases I can remember where the PI is stuck, it is fairly multi-threaded and unless there is a resource issue, tends to remain responsive, especially the main thread which maintains communication with HS and for sure would see the shut-down coming in. One thing to note though is that this PI is a multipleinstancesingleexe kind of PI, so HS knows it has multiple instances but it is all one big executable. There is a good chance that HS is still thinking some instance is still alive and perhaps that's why it is "waiting for the PI to shut down".
        So next time all of it gets stuck, open another browser, open in log, go to other browser window, hit refresh or do whatever caused no response and see if you can capture anything. Also display resources!!
        Hope this will help focus where we should look.
        Dirk
        Will do. I saw the same error this morning early a couple of times, but I had to run to work and didn't have a chance to do anything. I will see if I can get something the next time it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
          Will do. I saw the same error this morning early a couple of times, but I had to run to work and didn't have a chance to do anything. I will see if I can get something the next time it happens.
          If you see errors in getswversion this means the pi is restarting! We would need to find out why. The PI cannot restart itself only HS can do that. Forgot to ask whether you are in Windows or Linux but if Windows, If the PI crashes it leaves error windows so most likely HS kills the PI for some reason.

Comment

I also noticed this last night on my development setup, where I just updated to the latest HS3 version 423. I suspect a change in HS3 that either broke something or it now has problems with. You probably should post this in the HS3 beta forum for Rich to look at. It would indeed not time out and hang and I couldn't immediately see any error, the log showed a proper shutdown of the PI but I forgot to check whether the exe was really gone. I'll look at it when I have some more time, but I'm curious to hear from those who see it as well whether they are on new(er) HS3 versions.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
            X