Occupancy sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupancy sensor

I travel often and find that many hotels are using occupancy sensors to turn off the heat / AC in the rooms. these thingswork great.. even if im in the room asleep the AC unit stays running, I have yet to see anything on this board about a good way to go about this, I want it so if I go on a trip my heat up morning event wont trigger, yet if im home in bed I want it to trigger.. anyone used anything that really works> motion detectors go dead once I fall asleep.. i saw a thread about weight sensors in my bed, but im not wanting something messy like that to deal with. what are these hotels using? they had special keys on the ones in the hotel rooms so I couldnt take it apart to see what it is or who made it.. has the letters "NAT" on it.

-christopher
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

I use some occupancy sensors for this. Leviton, Unenco (Hubbell) and others make them, usually for commerical projects.

They use ultrasonic and/or PIR sensors to detect occupancy. Not so good for security systems, but very good for determining occupancy as they can register the slightest movement.

I've found some Unenco ones on ebay that work well. They do require 24 vdc, but have simple NO contacts for connecting to a SECU-16 for example.

HTH,

Comment

since im in a ranch house power isnt a problem i can get whatever I need to the device and then easily back to my Secu-16 as well.. are the leviton ones any good? which is generally better? ultrasonic or PIR?

the ones in the hotels even detect as occupied when im in bed and i dont move around alot.

ebay didnt have any of the unenco ones you talk of, but lots of leviton devices.

-christopher
        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Hi Christopher,

For occupancy, from what I've seen and read, you need ultrasonic to do a decent job in places where you expect to have only slight movements.

The Leviton units I have are only ultrasonic and have been working fine for over a couple of years I think.

The Unenco units are dual ultrasonic/PIR, and I've only had them in for about 3 months, but also seem to work just fine.

Comment

Working...
          X