Testing...a few glitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing...a few glitches

So far, I love the plugin. It is by far one of the most easy to use and setup I've come across in a while. I have noticed a few "glitches," though. I wanted to see if you are aware of them, or if they are limited to my setup.

1. Log entry: "error sending on command!" or "error sending off command!"
    it still controls the device, however, just doesn't think it did, and the device status in HS doesn't change, even though the actual physical device status does change.

2. inability to rename devices. If I change the device name from "Speaker-5" for instance to "master bedroom" then the above log error is still true, except it isn't able to affect the status of the physical device.

Thanks,
    Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

I've also noticed that every so often, they all are turned off...don't know if it is one at a time, all at once, or what, cause I'm not there
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
      So far, I love the plugin. It is by far one of the most easy to use and setup I've come across in a while. I have noticed a few "glitches," though. I wanted to see if you are aware of them, or if they are limited to my setup.

1. Log entry: "error sending on command!" or "error sending off command!"
      it still controls the device, however, just doesn't think it did, and the device status in HS doesn't change, even though the actual physical device status does change.

2. inability to rename devices. If I change the device name from "Speaker-5" for instance to "master bedroom" then the above log error is still true, except it isn't able to affect the status of the physical device.

Thanks,
      Ian
      Hi Ian, thanks for the heads up, I have seen the errors you are talking about, and am investigating. The status change is a problem with homeseer and requires the page to be refreshed in order to see the status. The Name changes to the ini file requires a restart for hs to reload the ini file, I could probably force this reload in the plugin. Thanks for the tips, I will look into including some in the next release. How is the performance? One of the reasons I created the plugin was to keep things very simple and high performance as oppose to many features and too much processing time.
      -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
      VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
      Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Good to know on the name change, I'll go ahead and "label" them then, and restart HS. I'll refresh the page as well, verifying the device status changes.

The only performance issue I'm seeing now (and it is a significant one) is that every so often (couple hours or so, maybe), all the speakers get shut off. I don't know why/how...could be a problem with the device itself, I have nothing to compare it to, as it is a new purchase, and yours is the only plugin I've used with it.

My wife says the house feels empty when "Alfred" cannot talk to her :-)
        Plugins:

Comment

I tried refreshing the page after changing the status from off to on, the displayed status did not update to reflect the actual status.

also, the undesired all off has become problematic...I'm going to write an event to "turn all on" and have it run every 1/2 hr, just to ensure that we don't miss any phone calls or other important announcements. any ideas on that?

Thanks,
          Ian
          Plugins:

Comment

Why do you want to leave the speakers on all the time? That will lead to a failure of one or more relays in your unit. The idea behind a speaker switch is to switch the appropriate speakers on, then speak and then shut the speakers off. You can do this for some or all speakers. I have my setup turn all speakers on, speak the callerID and then shutoff. The plugin was designed specifically to shut speakers off after speaking, to preserve the relays from being activated for any length of time. The automation idea in the speaker switch is to only switch on the speaker or speakers needed for the particular message or announcement. Hope this helps...
            -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
            VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
            Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

oh...how about that. I apparently had it backwards! I ws looking at it from the perspective of the switch turning off speakers I didn't want on, not turning on speakers I want on.

So, there are probably some settings or such that I need to mess with, to get it t oturn on before announcing and such, cause I have been missing announcements.

I guess I can understand the concept as it pertains to announcements, but what about mp3s and such? like if my wife want to be listening to my mp3s while in the bath, but I'm watching TV in the living room, then someone calls....the living room speakers would turn on, announce the call, and then turn off...all the while leaving the bathroom speaker on. once the occupancy of the bathroom goes off, the speaker would go off. Am I seeing it correctly? hopefully the on/off wouldn't be tied to mp3s and announcements...I'd like to play radio or other sources in the above manner, and have HS contorl speakers the same.
              Plugins:

Comment

I was just reading through the config area, and I noticed the "post delay" area...I assume that is a timer of sorts, that it will turn the speakers off that long after they are turned on. I don't see how that would work for streaming mp3s and whatnot...maybe I'm not interpreting it correctly. I'll check out the ab8ss plugin you made, see if that functions differently.

Let me know if I'm wrong here.

ps. I should point out that I don't have a dual speaker setup. I've heard of some people running two speakers to each room, 1 for tts/HS announce, the other for music and such...I'm running all speakers for all rooms via the ab8ss, w/no in wall volume or any such thing.
                Plugins:

Comment

I don't think this plugin allows you to - save your settings - switch settings -and then return you to your saved settings. Which I would need, I also will have music playing - a call comes in - caller id announces on input B on the specified speakers - the set up returns to input A and sets the speakers that were originally on for the music.

Interesting about turning off the speakers to save the relays. I did not know that power is constantly applied to keep the speaker on. I will have to check into that and may have to make some changes. I had my ab8ss 2 years(?) and have relays that may have been on that long.
                  John

Comment

Having a problem getting the switches to turn on!

Originally posted by lpitman View Post
                    Why do you want to leave the speakers on all the time? That will lead to a failure of one or more relays in your unit. The idea behind a speaker switch is to switch the appropriate speakers on, then speak and then shut the speakers off. You can do this for some or all speakers. I have my setup turn all speakers on, speak the callerID and then shutoff. The plugin was designed specifically to shut speakers off after speaking, to preserve the relays from being activated for any length of time. The automation idea in the speaker switch is to only switch on the speaker or speakers needed for the particular message or announcement. Hope this helps...

I have mine setup via serial cable. When HS speaks an annoucement it shows that the speakers have been turned on but the switcher does nothing. If I manually turn on all the speakers, then when I run the annoucement it will speak then turn off all the speaker switches. Do I have a setting wrong?

All the configs in irpspeak are set to default (how they came originally).

Comment

weird...it seems as though the plugin is controlling your ab8ss, if it can turn the speakers off. it does this by design. lpitman set it up to be a "normally off" system, turning on to speak, then turn off when done.

when you use the plugin to turn them on, are you watching the device to see if the light comes on for the speaker you are trying to control? I noticed that even though i click "on," it turned the speaker on, even though HS didn't reflect that. it could be that it is turning it on, and you just don't know it, because HS doesn't show it. Just a thought.

BTW - I agree, He is the way, truth, and life!!!!
                      Plugins:

Comment

weird...it seems as though the plugin is controlling your ab8ss, if it can turn the speakers off. it does this by design. lpitman set it up to be a "normally off" system, turning on to speak, then turn off when done.

when you use the plugin to turn them on, are you watching the device to see if the light comes on for the speaker you are trying to control? I noticed that even though i click "on," it turned the speaker on, even though HS didn't reflect that. it could be that it is turning it on, and you just don't know it, because HS doesn't show it. Just a thought.

BTW - I agree, He is the way, truth, and life!!!!
                        I can manually switch each speaker on, and it shows a on light bulb, and then when an event would run that needs to speak, the log shows that all speakers are on but it actually does not turn any speakers on.

If I manually click all speakers on they all come on. Then run an event then they all turn off.

If I run an event that would require speaking, the plugin should turn all the speakers on automatically but it doesn't.

Comment

gotchya, when you said "manually" I thought you were talking about w/ the remote or something. Yes, I experienced the same thing as well, I had thought it would turn it on automatically when it began to speak, but it didn't. Don't know if it is supposed to or not.
                          Plugins:

Comment

gotchya, when you said "manually" I thought you were talking about w/ the remote or something. Yes, I experienced the same thing as well, I had thought it would turn it on automatically when it began to speak, but it didn't. Don't know if it is supposed to or not.
                            So how do you have yours setup to speak if you have a phone call or an annoucement if yours doesn't automatically turn every speaker on?

Comment

I went in and made an event for incoming call, to turn all on. honestly, though, it doesn't seem to be working. I also modified a couple regular announcement events, adding a turn all on line.

I certainly don't want go through and build/modify tons of events for everything. I will probably try the other lpitman plugin, see if that works differently.

I'm actually thinking about teaching HS the remote codes for the ab8ss and setting it up on my secu-16ir, forget the plugin, but i'd have to make quite a few events/virtual devices, it would be free, though, and would open up 1 com port! :-)

still figuring it all out!
                              Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                              X