This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jchestnuts View Post
    Randy, thanks for the reply. The OW server sounds interesting, is there a HS3 plug-in for that or did you write your own?

The instructions for the arduino plug-in say that it can only handle one, one-wire device per arduino board. I love using the arduino boards because they are so ubiquitous and versatile. I found one in my sock drawer the other day. Not really, just kidding.

I think the one-wire temperature sensors would be the best option, and I have a few already, but the analog sensors would be OK, and I could use from 6 up to 16 per board, depending on the particular arduino board.
    Actually the plug-in instructions state "Note: The plugin has a limit of 1 Onewire pin per board". Note that while you can create only one OneWire pin, you can put multiple devices on a single pin. I don't know the limit of the number of devices that pin will support. I would suspect that there is a realistic limit of 8-10 due to the complexity of supporting data line voltage with a simple pull-up resistor. Greig may have also hard coded a limit, but he would have to tell us that number. I am not much into coding, but looking at the sketch I think the limit might be 15. The EDS OWServer uses a current limited constant voltage source for the data line pull-up. As a OneWire temperature device goes into temperature conversion mode, it draws more current. With a large number of devices this demand can exceed the capabilities of a static pull up resistor. With the Arduino I connected five devices to the single pin and maintained adequate voltage to the data line at all times. I would suspect you might get errors if too many devices entered the conversion phase simultaneously. With the dynamic pull up in the OWServer, it can support runs of over 500 feet and up to 23 devices on a single line.

Some interesting reading is the DS1822 Datasheet and a tutorial for long OneWire networks.

For the OWServer (I have 2) I use UltraJones Ultra1Wire3 plug-in linked in my signature below.
    Last edited by randy; October 6, 2014, 07:17 PM. Reason: Fixed second link
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

That is great news. I am all set to add more sensors! Somehow I misinterpreted the note about about the OneWire limitation. Thank you for all of your help with my questions and the additional information about implementing OneWire. It will be very helpful.
      Last edited by jchestnuts; October 5, 2014, 10:25 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Hello Greig,

A feature that would be nice (or if it exists already, I haven't noticed it) would be to be able to disable a board so that the plug-in isn't trying to connect. For instance, I use an Arduino to control the lawn sprinklers. They get completely shut down for months over the winter, so it's natural to power off the arduino.

regards
        Doug

Comment

Originally posted by DMcKnight View Post
          Hello Greig,

A feature that would be nice (or if it exists already, I haven't noticed it) would be to be able to disable a board so that the plug-in isn't trying to connect. For instance, I use an Arduino to control the lawn sprinklers. They get completely shut down for months over the winter, so it's natural to power off the arduino.

regards
          Doug
          Just disable "Auto Connect" on that board on the config page.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            Just disable "Auto Connect" on that board on the config page.
            Yes, you are right I could do that. Duh. I think, though, if I do that, I will perhaps issue a re-connect before each sprinkler change. I'm communicating over a wi-fi bridge, and it is sometimes a bit flakey.

thx
            doug

Comment

I have a reconnect event that starts a timer when any Arduino changes to a value not equal to connected. If that timer reaches 5 seconds, the board is disconnected > wait 2 seconds > reconnected. A successful connection stops and resets the timer. If the timer reaches 1 minute I am sent a pushover notification of the board being other than connected. I have not needed those events in the last several months since I replaced all of my Ethernet shields with genuine Arduino, but before that I was having occasions when the boards would go into a "connection error" state. That series of events does the same thing as auto connect.

You could create an "Irrigation Winter" virtual device and use it in the event conditions for your irrigation controller. Enable Irrigation Winter which would trigger an event to disconnect the board and to disable the reconnect event. Turn the switch back off to trigger an event to reconnect and to enable the reconnect event.

Comment

Hello,

Is there any change that this this

https://www.tindie.com/products/azid...ule-80211-bgn/

Or any other Wifi module is supported

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I have a reconnect event that starts a timer when any Arduino changes to a value not equal to connected. If that timer reaches 5 seconds, the board is disconnected > wait 2 seconds > reconnected. A successful connection stops and resets the timer. If the timer reaches 1 minute I am sent a pushover notification of the board being other than connected. I have not needed those events in the last several months since I replaced all of my Ethernet shields with genuine Arduino, but before that I was having occasions when the boards would go into a "connection error" state. That series of events does the same thing as auto connect.

You could create an "Irrigation Winter" virtual device and use it in the event conditions for your irrigation controller. Enable Irrigation Winter which would trigger an event to disconnect the board and to disable the reconnect event. Turn the switch back off to trigger an event to reconnect and to enable the reconnect event.

Yes, I do have an "irrigation season" virtual device. It's handy for a few things along these lines. I also used to have a reconnection event (not as extensive as yours) but I dispensed with it when the autoconnect seemed to start working well.
                  I suspect that I'll get round to running a few more Cat 5e or 6 cables around the house this winter. (Though cat 6 to an arduino in the garage seems overkill!) Using a repurposed router as a bridge *almost* works well, but it is one notch too flakey for keeping the yard alive...
                  doug

Comment

My request is to have possibility to send IR code without boards set as API.
                    I'm not interesting on receive IR code but if you are able the thing is good :-)
                    Thanks
                    Rinpe

Comment

Comment

I have looked at this in the past but as all displays require different commands it is not that simple. I had this working in HS2 with the LCD Shield but as you say you then cant run Ethernet. I may look in to running a serial output from the Arduino so you can run serial devices connected to the board like lcd displays.

Greig
                        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                        Scripts =
                        Various

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
                          I have looked at this in the past but as all displays require different commands it is not that simple. I had this working in HS2 with the LCD Shield but as you say you then cant run Ethernet. I may look in to running a serial output from the Arduino so you can run serial devices connected to the board like lcd displays.

Greig

Comment

Hi Greig,

How about supporting LCD with I2C. Much smaller requirement for pins and it should not interfere with Ethernet board.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by marekd1 View Post
                              Hi Greig,

How about supporting LCD with I2C. Much smaller requirement for pins and it should not interfere with Ethernet board.

Mark
                              The I2C does sound like the simplest route, sounds like a good solution.

Paul

Comment

Is There a way to get an input pin to work as current cost energy type. So that it can be added to homeseers energy system and mesarues?
                                Best,
                                Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

Working...
                                X