Windows power device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows power device

I am running HS3 on a netbook with its own battery and have that connected into a APC UPC. The plugin only detects a power change if the netbook looses mains power rather than the UPS. Would it be possible to select which windows power source is monitored?

The plugin only works with USB UPS devices. It has not been tested with any others
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

I think it is confused somehow as Windows shows two power devices connected, the netbook mains / battery and the UPS. The plugin looks like it is getting data from both. It only detects a power loss condition if I unplug the mains power from the netbook. Is there a way to configure to ensure that it is only polling the USB UPS? I could always just run the netbook off the mains since it has its own battery but i'd like to get extended service by running it off the UPS. In my set up I have a UPS on the Verizon FIOS routers and use tablets / phones to make announcements (wifi router is also on UPS) so conceivably I could continue to monitor sensor data for several hours during a power loss. This is pretty critical to me in the event of floods or attempted break ins. My media server is also connected to the beefy UPS so knowing the power is out would allow me to shut it down after an hour to preserve battery life and extend run time of critical systems.

If its unresolvable I could look at alternate solutions. Someone mentioned polling devices to see if they are unavailable but I'm not sure how to do that with the stock insteon plugin. The last idea which will take some time would be to take a rasberry pi, interface it to the FIOS UPS (an Eaton) and then have it change a virtual device via HTTP call based on power status change but then the Pi would only run as long as that UPS is running (though there is a Pi UPS shield that can run it off a battery source as needed)

I got an Aeon Labs Energy monitor, was thinking I could accomplish the same thing there. If no watts are being pulled then the power must logically be out.

I know it sounds like more of a commercial application but I come from a telecom background where redundancy is a standard so it's ingrained in me.. Got any ideas?

Comment

Did you ever get the chance to check this one out? Power loss is not being reported when the Netbook is plugged into the UPS.

Comment

Working...
        X