Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for Office/Home setup

Hi all!

I currently have a fairly basic HomeSeer setup at my home. I'd really like to setup some automation at the office, so I was contemplating moving my current setup to the office, and using a Z-Net for my home that talks to the office.

My main reason for wanting to move my existing setup to the office is that I have a server that I can spin up a VM on to run everything I stead of just my home computer. I also have a dedicated fiber internet connection at the office. I'm thinking the stability would greatly increase... I have had many issues overall, but Windows updates and normal computer glitches cause it to go down periodically. I want to have HS3 running on a dedicated machine.

Now that I've explained my intentions, here are my questions.
    Does Z-Net cache/store any data/information? Basically, I'm curious whether an internet connection loss at my house would kill connectivity, or if the Z-Net is cabable of running my home until internet returns.
    Does the Z-Net come ready to use, or do I need to buy a SmarStick+ for it? The shop says it's "Z-Wave+ compatible" but I'm not clear if that means it has Z-Wave+ built in or if it's just compatible with a Z-Wave* interface.
    Any thoughts on how I intend to go about this? I'm open to ideas and considerations!

Thanks!

Z-Net / remote Z-Wave controller will work but remote will not such that your lighting will not go on and off if the Internet transport is down.

That is where you can utilize a Zee-2 with built in software / Z-Wave controller and remote monitor it. If the transport gets disconnected it will continue to work fine.

Personally here dedicate Ubuntu on a separate box with Oracle Wintel VB's at home to run HS3 without dependencies on the Internet. My ISP (X2) transport is configured for failover here in the house using PFSense none the less.

Main environment sensors are wired to the alarm panel while concurrently primarily do powerline UPB, some X10 (Christmas), Z-Wave and Zigbee. Light switches are all UPB these days.

Today consider the basic lighting, hvac, security the heartbeat of the home which runs itself without watching.

Old at home touch consoles are serially wired and newer ones are IP POE wired. None are wireless (tabletop touch screens are wired POE). Keep two serial alarm keypads wired as they are the fastest relating to security stuff.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
    X