Delays with version 3.0.1.124

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    It is interesting how the same version can behave differently for different people. You might want to go through the steps that I did which made a huge improvement under .126.
    • Manually check every Z-Wave device for polling. Unless it does not support instant status disable polling.
    • Pay special attention to energy, multi sensors and thermostats. The problems in my system were clearly related to polling Aeotec smart strips. Polling a device that reports automatically seems to cause a problem. On devices that report and have a battery, only poll the battery child.
    • Temporarily disable polling altogether on the Z-Wave config page.

My system has been perfect since I did all that yesterday. I found that a rescan of my devices last summer added 20 minute polling to about a third of my devices, none of which require polling.

I do think Rich still needs to figure out why polling can bring the Z-Wave network to a dead halt, but the above steps made mine work again.

I enabled Z-Wave polling again this morning and my system is still running without delays.

All of the HS downloads are at https://homeseer.com/updates3
    Funny that you mention the Aeotec Smart Strip. I just found one doing some really obnoxious things when polling is enabled. I was watching my polling buffer climb on the one controller the strip is on - all the way up to around 1300. Turns out every child device had some random polling set and they weren't polling out at all, even though I could still communicate with the strip. Took that device completely out (was planning to do it because a rescan showed errors on the meter class) and the motion activations improved almost immediately.

I would like to see rescan set up so that it doesn't add in any polling at all (maybe an option?). I have also asked for something to prevent rescan from jacking up all the customizations to the devices that you make or a way to export them to a file. Rescan is useful at times - if you have ever had to restore a controller from backup file you know that you often have to rescan each device individually just to get the classes recognized - but I am loathe to do it because it causes so many problems.

Comment

Page to Display Polling

Rich, apologize if this already exists but I haven't seen it or heard anyone mention it.

Since polling seems to be a common issue that can bring a z-wave network to its knees, what do you think about adding a page to the plugin that would display all devices with polling enabled? Seems like this could be used by tech support and customers to help reduce issues related to z-wave.

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
        Rich,

Could we have a bulk operation to enable/disable polling similar to changing floor/Room?

And, if we can, can we also add, enable/disable voice?

Thanks,
        As long as we are wishing for things on the device page - could we have every field on the main device page editable from there? The page already looks like a spreadsheet - maybe a button that puts that page in edit mode that would allow you to rapidly make changes to names, addresses, etc. (every field except maybe the control buttons, of course) instead of going through the tedium of opening each device. Would make the experience for the user much better in my opinion. Would also be great to be able to add other columns to the mix like the Do Not Log / Do Not Update checkboxes from the device configuration, and to display and alter the polling for each device right from the main page. You could even have an audit control or an optimize full control handy there. Lots of possibilities to lessen the time going into the detail pages.

Comment

Originally posted by mwolter View Post
          Rich, apologize if this already exists but I haven't seen it or heard anyone mention it.

Since polling seems to be a common issue that can bring a z-wave network to its knees, what do you think about adding a page to the plugin that would display all devices with polling enabled? Seems like this could be used by tech support and customers to help reduce issues related to z-wave.
          You can do that now using the node info page from Plug-Ins/Z-Wave. It's slow and kind of tedious, but it does work and it allows you to click on the child devices with the polling set and fix them. The biggest problem there is that, if you have to do a rescan or a restore, it's back to the drawing board because the polling might get redone by the scan at random.

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
            You can do that now using the node info page from Plug-Ins/Z-Wave. It's slow and kind of tedious, but it does work and it allows you to click on the child devices with the polling set and fix them. The biggest problem there is that, if you have to do a rescan or a restore, it's back to the drawing board because the polling might get redone by the scan at random.
            Ahh, didn't even think to look for it there. Thanks!

Comment

any way to disable the polling of a child device by script?
              I want the polling functionality for a couple of my devices but I've ended up having disable all polling as the child devices keep getting set to poll every 20 something minutes. I've cleaned them all out twice, but it comes back. Not sure on the trigger of it coming back.

back to the question at hand... is it possible to disable device by device the polling timer via script? need to know the command to set the poll timer, I can do the rest

Comment

Since I updated to 126 I have considerable delays now on my motion lights. Before it was random and between 1 - 3 Seconds on two lights but now it's constant and between 5 - 8 Seconds on all three lights. I'll play round a bit tomorrow to try and narrow down which change made it worse as I also disabled polling altogether as suggested.

All my aeotec multi 6 are usb powered and I have configured them to report as little as possible in regards to battery and humidity. Temperature and luminescence are more frequent and I've used thresholds to further limit reports. I was putting the delays down to my WiFi as I use lifx and the ultalighting plugin so was thinking it was the lifx response that was delayed, wish I kept some hue bulbs to test it out. I have a total of 8 zwave plus devices in close proximity to the controller so I believe all routes are direct. I'd know for sure if zseer would show the paths :/

When I check the logs the event triggers at the time of motion detection and I'm trying to find if the delay is in the incoming trigger for motion or outgoing command for lights or lifx response time (even Alexa has delays but probably due to ifttt being the middle man). Anyone else using lifx and aeotec multi 6 and having same issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Steaktastic87 View Post
                  I have a total of 8 zwave plus devices in close proximity to the controller so I believe all routes are direct. I'd know for sure if zseer would show the paths :/
                  You don't need Z-Seer+ to know if the path is direct. You can open your HS3 web Ui and go to:

Plugins->Z-wave->Node Information->Last Working Route

It will either tell you "direct" or give you the other Node Numbers its relaying threw. It will also tell you the speed its communicating at.

Comment

It would help if you can enable debug logging then send me the logs files if see a delay. I can see what might be causing it. Enable debug logging by clicking on the z-wave plugin name on the plugins page, there you will see the checkbox.

Since I updated to 126 I have considerable delays now on my motion lights. Before it was random and between 1 - 3 Seconds on two lights but now it's constant and between 5 - 8 Seconds on all three lights. I'll play round a bit tomorrow to try and narrow down which change made it worse as I also disabled polling altogether as suggested.

All my aeotec multi 6 are usb powered and I have configured them to report as little as possible in regards to battery and humidity. Temperature and luminescence are more frequent and I've used thresholds to further limit reports. I was putting the delays down to my WiFi as I use lifx and the ultalighting plugin so was thinking it was the lifx response that was delayed, wish I kept some hue bulbs to test it out. I have a total of 8 zwave plus devices in close proximity to the controller so I believe all routes are direct. I'd know for sure if zseer would show the paths :/

When I check the logs the event triggers at the time of motion detection and I'm trying to find if the delay is in the incoming trigger for motion or outgoing command for lights or lifx response time (even Alexa has delays but probably due to ifttt being the middle man). Anyone else using lifx and aeotec multi 6 and having same issue?
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Any chance it could be polling? I found - after much frustration - that polling was causing all of my delays. I ended up (at the suggestion of a couple of people here) going through all of my devices on the node information sheet and removing the polling that got set up by rescans on almost everything. There were a lot of them that I didn't know about - especially on devices that I had hidden.

I have re-enabled polling on my older devices without instant status, but I am also now experimenting with an event that flushes the poll cache every so often, waits, and then re-enables it for each network to keep the cache from getting out of hand as it was doing. This seems to have allowed me to still use polling where necessary, and not have it interfere with my Aeotec motion sensor triggers.

Comment

I have been paying close attention to the polling queues on my networks this weekend, and I see a clear correlation between items stuck in the polling queue and degraded performance on command processing. If the poll queue is at or close to zero, performance is instantaneous on devices. If the poll queue has a number of pollings waiting, performance becomes sluggish.

Could a methodology for prioritizing commands over polls be incorporated into the software? Or, could a variable be introduced that would allow the end user to set a timeout so that if a device does not poll successfully within 'x' - it is dropped from the queue automatically?

I notice that some devices will never poll correctly - a good example of this is the Aeotec ZW096A Smart Switches. Each of these creates 6 switch devices initially - Outlet, Night Light, Red, Green, Blue and Amber Night Lights. The RGBA channels never poll correctly. I have a bunch of these and it fills the queue with garbage if you try to poll them.

Comment

Make sure you test the Z-Wave plugin .128. Polling has been depriotized, it should perform better.

Before reporting any delays, please update to the 128 plugin and if you see delays, enable the debug logging and then send me the log files when you see a delay (along with the time of the delay).

I have been paying close attention to the polling queues on my networks this weekend, and I see a clear correlation between items stuck in the polling queue and degraded performance on command processing. If the poll queue is at or close to zero, performance is instantaneous on devices. If the poll queue has a number of pollings waiting, performance becomes sluggish.

Could a methodology for prioritizing commands over polls be incorporated into the software? Or, could a variable be introduced that would allow the end user to set a timeout so that if a device does not poll successfully within 'x' - it is dropped from the queue automatically?

I notice that some devices will never poll correctly - a good example of this is the Aeotec ZW096A Smart Switches. Each of these creates 6 switch devices initially - Outlet, Night Light, Red, Green, Blue and Amber Night Lights. The RGBA channels never poll correctly. I have a bunch of these and it fills the queue with garbage if you try to poll them.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            Make sure you test the Z-Wave plugin .128. Polling has been depriotized, it should perform better.

Before reporting any delays, please update to the 128 plugin and if you see delays, enable the debug logging and then send me the log files when you see a delay (along with the time of the delay).
                            I have been running 128 since Saturday. If polling is off, everything works instantaneously for me. If I re-enable polling, as soon as I get polls queued, I see slower performance. Not nearly as bad as it was under the earlier revisions, but it is definite and noticeable.

For example - with polling enabled at a queue of zero, if I click upon a light in my living room, it comes on at once. If I wait until there is even one item in poll queue, it takes several seconds to activate. I will see a command queue increment, it will sit for a few seconds, and then the command processes. I experimented with 128 most of the weekend and found this to be repeatable across all networks and many devices.

One of the problems is that some items simply won't poll at all - like the color channels on the ZW096, and they hang up processing of other devices. You can also see this if you run polling from the main device page by clicking the icon. Certain devices types consistently refuse to accept a poll.

I am working towards writing events that only poll devices that don't do instant updates, and only when necessary. For example, I have a script that locks the doors at a certain time. I have it send the command to lock, then poll after a few seconds to make sure it actually is locked (I have problems with my locks sometimes showing Unknown otherwise). It will do this every couple of minutes until the lock shows properly locked. It would be great to be able to leave polling on all the time to keep the data fresh, but I don't think it is feasible because it slows everything down too much.

Comment

For example - with polling enabled at a queue of zero, if I click upon a light in my living room, it comes on at once. If I wait until there is even one item in poll queue, it takes several seconds to activate. I will see a command queue increment, it will sit for a few seconds, and then the command processes. I experimented with 128 most of the weekend and found this to be repeatable across all networks and many devices.
                              Where are you seeing the "polling Queue" so I can check mine also?

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                                Where are you seeing the "polling Queue" so I can check mine also?
                                Go into your plug-ins page, and click the Z-Wave link. This brings up the Z-Wave Configuration Page, which will show the queues for each network in real time.

Comment

Working...
                                X