GE Fan switch 12730 and Instant status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm not new to GE switches and how they lack a true instant status. I swapped out a whole house full of GE switches with HomeSeer ones already. With the exception of fan controls (due to no other option). So I have 3 Bedrooms with Fans and the GE 12730 Switches. Two of them work fine (the older two). They have been installed for almost a year and have instant like status without waiting for 20 min polling. Those two are also direct to the SmartStick+ due to location.

I recently (month ago maybe) installed another switch in the master room in the back corner of the house and it's to far to be direct with the controller. Well this one does not update its status until polled. I have tried to make it direct and I have tried to re-scan the device. All with the same results.

I'm using HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.318 (Windows) and using z-wave plugin 3.0.1.136

I'm convinced that its the network hops that are the deal breaker and I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue?

Thanks,

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
    So I'm not new to GE switches and how they lack a true instant status. I swapped out a whole house full of GE switches with HomeSeer ones already. With the exception of fan controls (due to no other option). So I have 3 Bedrooms with Fans and the GE 12730 Switches. Two of them work fine (the older two). They have been installed for almost a year and have instant like status without waiting for 20 min polling. Those two are also direct to the SmartStick+ due to location.

I recently (month ago maybe) installed another switch in the master room in the back corner of the house and it's to far to be direct with the controller. Well this one does not update its status until polled. I have tried to make it direct and I have tried to re-scan the device. All with the same results.

I'm using HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.318 (Windows) and using z-wave plugin 3.0.1.136

I'm convinced that its the network hops that are the deal breaker and I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue?

Thanks,
    The pseudo instant status that HS employs for the Jasco devices require a direct path to the controller. If there are hops, you must employ polling to update the status.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      The pseudo instant status that HS employs for the Jasco devices require a direct Path to the controller.
      That's what I thought also but support via emails didn't seem to think that was the case. Browsing the forums I found conflicting info on the topic with some going both directions.

I do not have the new Z-wave plus version which seems to be available at lowes. I been debating on picking one up and doing a trade but I'm unsure if Z-wave plus will doing anything to help my current problem (maybe range will work direct?).

I have requested for HomeSeer to provide a fan switch to go with their current line up. I think it would sale great as the options are low.

Any recommendations on another switch or links to more on the "pseudo instant status" as you call it?

Comment

Agreed with Randy here. The 12730s I have at home pseudo instand status update only if they can direct connect to the root Zwave transceiver.
        To the best of my knowledge the way pseudo instant status works is that the devices are set to transmit their add remove packet when used. HS3 sees this and immediately polls the device. This packet does not traverse other devices.
        Back when I first setup my HA network HS3 I had some convoluted hops on my devices and a few of them wouldn't instant status. I ended up having to move my JS3 server's USB transceiver, to get better reception and setup each device manually to connect directly to the main transceiver once in range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks I'm have to do something or hold out until I can get a instant status fan switch.

Comment

Thanks I'm have to do something or hold out until I can get a instant status fan switch.

Leviton has an instant status fan switch

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

If your house is on the bigger side or you can't centrally position you main Zwave transceiver, you could try picking up a zee and setting both your main and the Zwave transceiver to split the footprint of your house. That would allow all of your devices to have 1 hop to a root transceiver.

Comment

The Leviton fan switch works very well. The model is- VRF01-1LZ Vizia RF + 1.5A Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks guys I have a smaller house with a media rack mounted in the hallway and a rackmount PC with the Smartstick in it. I also have a vaction house which is much larger and has two Z-nets and a Stick there, but that house is full of GE switches so that plan of direct to controller is in full effect at that house. I don't really want or need that at this house which is why I'm all new switches in this house now.

I'm also aware of the Leviton Switch but don't like the looks (pricing has come down but that used to also be an issue). I would really like a HomeSeer switch with double and tripple taps and all in it.

Support got back to me this morning and confirmed what I told him from the start that the switch does need to be direct but they tested the New Z-Wave plus switches from GE. The 14287 and said that it has true instant status and I should try that.

I'm not sure if anyone has those to confirm they do indeed work with instant status but Lowes shows they have them and they one sale plus you find coupon codes online to get even more $$$$ off. (https://slickdeals.net/f/9549456-low...-off-topic?v=1)

Just paid 31.77 each out the door local pickup at my local Lowes store.

I'll update this post with the new news.
                  Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE:

I installed the new GE fan Switches part#14287 and instant status works. Node is still not direct (two hops currently) but it works instantly without polling.
                    Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE:

I installed the new GE fan Switches part#14287 and instant status works. Node is still not direct (two hops currently) but it works instantly without polling.

Sweet!!! I still need two fan switches for my secondary bedrooms and will pick up the new model when I am ready for those.

Comment

UPDATE:

The instant status messages must be going directly from the switch to your controller. I haven't heard of anything in the Z-Wave protocol that allows instant status messages to be routed through nodes. Since instant status is working, the controller should be able to talk directly to the switch when sending commands. You might try changing the routing to direct if you are interested in tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
                          The instant status messages must be going directly from the switch to your controller. I haven't heard of anything in the Z-Wave protocol that allows instant status messages to be routed through nodes. Since instant status is working, the controller should be able to talk directly to the switch when sending commands. You might try changing the routing to direct if you are interested in tinkering.
                          Say what? Are you talking about older ge switches or the new plus ones?

I have tried direct but the switch is to far away and it chages back.

Comment

Say what? Are you talking about older ge switches or the new plus ones?
                            I am talking about any of them.

If the instant status messages really are getting routed through the nodes, this must be a new addition to the Z-Wave protocol. If so, that would be a giant improvement. Maybe someone can chime in that has read the latest spec.

A traffic capture would answer this question. Maybe even turning on the HS detailed Z-Wave debugging might show enough to confirm the routing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
                              I am talking about any of them.

If the instant status messages really are getting routed through the nodes, this must be a new addition to the Z-Wave protocol. If so, that would be a giant improvement. Maybe someone can chime in that has read the latest spec.

A traffic capture would answer this question. Maybe even turning on the HS detailed Z-Wave debugging might show enough to confirm the routing.
                              Maybe the term "instant status" is used incorrectly (i'm unsure to be honest) and I should say they "report instantly" instead. I'm not sure of the actual protocol they are using or homeseer switches or others, but for years all devices besides GE have "reported instantly" threw some form of protocol even when not direct. The GE z-wave plus fan switch that I tested now works in the same fashion. But I don't have the info for you on how it does it. Only know it does it. Does that make more sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X