Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Power usage plugin idea... No hardware needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Power usage plugin idea... No hardware needed.

Maybe this already exists but I haven't been able to find it.
    With a competitors home automation software there was an add-on that would allow you to input your cost per kWh. Then you added a field to each device that let you input that devices Watts.

Once this was done the add-on would track the time that a device was on and calculate the total cost of that device. It then let you see graphs that showed you the cost of all of your devices over time.

Was very simple to set up and didn't require any 3rd party devices be installed.

I would love to have something like that again. But I do not have the time to learn how to create plug-in's for Homeseer these days.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
    Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

This has been talked of before but whilst it sounds possible and I have doubts you will get anywhere near an actual accurate value.

If you put a 60 watt light bulb on for two hours then you have used 0.120 kWhr - I'll agree with this, simple maths to make this calculation.

What happens with a LED light bulb? Chinese manufacturers are notorious for over stating the power, some 10 watt fixtures might only be 7 watts - until you measure it you don't know. Then your calculations are 0.015 kWhr out if you ran it for five hours, this is just for one device.

Take your washing machine, mine has a cycle and the power it uses will be entirely dependent on the particular cycle as it heats/spins/drains, it rarely uses the same amount every time - I know because I measure it!

Then you might have a PC that is on but the monitor is off, HS might know the fact the PC is on but the monitor is off so your calculations are already 35 watts off.

In reality you could already implement this through a script and the HS energy API without even needing the plugin but IMHO the results would be nowhere near accurate enough to actually use for anything.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed response. That makes total sense.

Tony
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
      Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
      Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Working...
      X