Rain8net devices not updating in HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain8net devices not updating in HS

I have a rain8net master controller and a slave. I'm using the HS plugin (which there is no forum for, grrrrr). When i click in the device status area to control a zone (turn it on or of) the zone is controlled propperly and this is reflected in the log. the displayed status of the zone changes accordingly as well. then if i hit f5/refresh, immediately, or browse away from that screen and then come back to it, the status "reverts" which is like telling me the status is "stuck." some of them are "stuck" on, others off, but i can't change them!

there are no errors in the log.

I checked with other hs devices, and they don't have this problem.

This affects me badly, because I have a lot of scripts and events that are based on whether or not the device status is on or off.

possible work around: should I use device value, instead of device status?

how do I check to see if device value is changing, even though the displayed status is not?

Can i try "forcing" the device status to change, with a magic vudoo script or something?

thanks,

Ian

ps...this runs my hvac, which is limping right now, and it's freakin hot around here, so PLEASE HELP.
    Last edited by completelyhis; July 3, 2009, 05:38 PM.
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    how do I check to see if device value is changing, even though the displayed status is not?

Can i try "forcing" the device status to change, with a magic vudoo script or something?
    You can certainly check the value of the device with a manual event that has as its action an immediate script like:
    &hs.WriteLog "Value _14", hs.DeviceValue("_14"),
    where you'd change _14 to the address of the device you want to query.

And yes, you could use a "voodoo" script to force the status change if the value has changed. If not, I'm not sure what you'd do. Is there any log entry that accompanies the mysterious reversion of the status?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Mike,
      Thanks for the response. i'll use those examples you gave me.

there is nothing in the log corresponding with the "reversion"

do you know vodoo? could you give me an example of how I could "force" it?
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        You can certainly check the value of the device with a manual event that has as its action an immediate script like:
        &hs.WriteLog "Value _14", hs.DeviceValue("_14"),
        where you'd change _14 to the address of the device you want to query.

And yes, you could use a "voodoo" script to force the status change if the value has changed. If not, I'm not sure what you'd do. Is there any log entry that accompanies the mysterious reversion of the status?

This was with it "on"

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime0 noWrap align=left>7/3/2009 4:10:08 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType0 colSpan=3 align=left>Value :5 </TD><TD class=LOGEntry0 colSpan=8 align=left>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime1 noWrap align=left>7/3/2009 4:10:08 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType1 colSpan=3 align=left>Info </TD><TD class=LOGEntry1 colSpan=8 align=left>Control Panel Immediate Script: &hs.WriteLog "Value :5", hs.DeviceValue(":5")</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

this was with it "off"

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime1 noWrap align=left>7/3/2009 4:10:46 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType1 colSpan=3 align=left>Value :5 </TD><TD class=LOGEntry1 colSpan=8 align=left>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime0 noWrap align=left>7/3/2009 4:10:46 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType0 colSpan=3 align=left>Info </TD><TD class=LOGEntry0 colSpan=8 align=left>Control Panel Immediate Script: &hs.WriteLog "Value :5", hs.DeviceValue(":5")</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

value is "0" in both instances.

is it possible my hardware is buggared up? (confessions of an idiot):

the hardware was not working at all, I looked at it and noticed that the rj11 cable was melted into the connecting block that it goes onto in the rain8 device. I managed to free it, and replaced the connector, but in so doing damaged the solder ring for one of the connectors. I followed the trace, and "jumped it" and I figured it worked, because HS is once again able to see it. so i'm thinking:

1. my hack-repair job wasn't actually good enough

or

2. the damage (which was caused by me experimenting in ways I shouldn't have) could have caused other damage not visible to the naked eye, like on the comm chip or something?

anyway...if a vudoo script won't fix it, i'll probably order up a replacement and see how that works.
        Plugins:

Comment

someone told me that it sounds like the com is half busted on the unit, that i can send commands but not get data back from it.

My solution is to create virtual devices to mirror the rain8 devices. whenever a script or event changes the status of the rain8, it will also change the status of the virtual device, and all my scripts/events will be based on that.

we'll see how it goes!
          Plugins:

Comment

Given that the device value is not changing, there does not appear to be any fallback within the HS device structure itself. Even 'voodoo' cannot create information where none exists! I think your idea to create a virtual device to mirror the valve state is a good one.

Two other things to try if you continue to experience problems:
            1) Modify that manual event to:
            &hs.WriteLog "Status :5", hs.DeviceStatus(":5")
            just to see if device status is reflecting the change. It should be '2' when the device is on and '3' when it is off.
            2) Create an event that has a trigger of status change to any, for the valve. The action can be a wav file or just a log entry. That should pinpoint exactly when the reversion occurs and may provide a clue about what causes it.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
            X