How to include a Leviton DZS15 switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi folks, I just installed a Leviton DZS15 switch in my pool cabana.
    The included Leviton instructions cover the wiring and merely say "for adding to a network, call Leviton or visit www.leviton.com" (and it's been near impossible to find anything about this on their website.

I've tried starting the Node inclusion process on my Zee, and then tapped the switch with no success. I tried a long press, multiple press - all failed.

Has anyone successfully included the DZS15?
    I would dearly appreciate any tips/advice.

Thanks
    -Steve

Current Date/Time: 7/17/2016 12:06:37 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.280
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 4 Days 2 Hours 49 Minutes 19 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.15.10
    Number of Devices: 65
    Number of Events: 72
    Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.19: Buienradar
    3.0.0.4: CM15A
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    3.0.1.83: Z-Wave

I only have the Leviton Vizia RF+ switches/dimmers, not the DZC ones, but from what I understand, the inclusion/exclusion process is the same, which is a single tap when the controller is in inclusion/exclusion mode. Have you tried excluding it first or doing a factory reset? How far away from the Zee is the switch?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HI Al, thanks for the helpful reply.
      I will try doing an exclusion and a factory reset first.

Also, my Zee is actually a fair distance away - 3 half-floors (side split), but the nearest active Z-wave switch is less than 20 feet away.

Would it make sense to move the Zee closer to the device for the inclusion?
      I thought the communication would happen via the nearest Z-wave device (still learning here!).

Thanks
      -steve

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
        HI Al, thanks for the helpful reply.
        I will try doing an exclusion and a factory reset first.

Also, my Zee is actually a fair distance away - 3 half-floors (side split), but the nearest active Z-wave switch is less than 20 feet away.

Would it make sense to move the Zee closer to the device for the inclusion?
        I thought the communication would happen via the nearest Z-wave device (still learning here!).

Thanks
        -steve
        Hi Steve, the newer zwave+ devices support long range inclusion, but non zwave+ devices don't support that and typically need to be a few feet away for inclusion to work. I typically include my devices on my work bench near my zwave controller and then move them to their final location.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          Hi Steve, the newer zwave+ devices support long range inclusion, but non zwave+ devices don't support that and typically need to be a few feet away for inclusion to work. I typically include my devices on my work bench near my zwave controller and then move them to their final location.

Cheers
          Al
          HI Al, thanks for that great tip - will definitely do that going forward. However, for this wall switch, I've already wired it into the box in the cabana so I don't really have a choice I guess, other than to move the Zee, at least for the inclusion.

Still learning a lot here - so I gather that I should also be looking at Z-Wave+ devices going forward.

-steve

Comment

I have not but have been testing various Z-Wave controllers. (have 4 test combo Zigbee/ZWave controllers in the basement, one on the second floor and one in the atic).

I am though utilizing UPB as my primary in wall switch devices.

My Z-Wave plus GPIO RPi2 is in the attic and connected to the network via POE. Reach is good from there for the two story home.

Here have a Vizia RF remote and a Leviton VRCOP. I configured the VRCOP to be a secondary to the RPi2 GPIO Z-Wave + but it actually is a primary for my Leviton OmniPro 2. Both of the devices talk the to the Z-Wave devices fine.

First test was using the remote where as I sent the Z-Wave network to the Vizia RF remote; then sent the Vizia RF remote stuff to the VRCOP. I then also moved put the VRCOP next to the RPi2. Both methodologies worked for me. Using a Leviton OmniPro 2 combo panel (X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee controllers on it) plus a Zee-2 HS3 lite and a HS3 Pro configuration. (Homeseer has Z-Wave/X10/UPB controllers plugged in to it).

It works but I cannot see status of a device from one controller to another. It is sort of one way. IE: VRCOP to RPi2 or vice versa.

I also tried this scenario using a Z-Wave stick except that the stick worked from the 2nd floor talking to my RPi2 in the attic.

What you do is copy your RPi2 network over to a USB Z-Wave stick, include the new switch to the stick then copy the network from the stick back to the RPi2.

Then you do not need to move your RPi2.
            Last edited by Pete; July 18, 2016, 06:21 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
              HI Al, thanks for that great tip - will definitely do that going forward. However, for this wall switch, I've already wired it into the box in the cabana so I don't really have a choice I guess, other than to move the Zee, at least for the inclusion.

Still learning a lot here - so I gather that I should also be looking at Z-Wave+ devices going forward.

-steve
              Update:
              I temporarily relocated the Zee to within 20 feet of the DZS15, re-ran the Include and it worked immediately.
              Happy camper!
              Thanks Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

I have not but have been testing various Z-Wave controllers. (have 4 test combo Zigbee/ZWave controllers in the basement, one on the second floor and one in the atic).

I am though utilizing UPB as my primary in wall switch devices.

My Z-Wave plus GPIO RPi2 is in the attic and connected to the network via POE. Reach is good from there for the two story home.

Here have a Vizia RF remote and a Leviton VRCOP. I configured the VRCOP to be a secondary to the RPi2 GPIO Z-Wave + but it actually is a primary for my Leviton OmniPro 2. Both of the devices talk the to the Z-Wave devices fine.

First test was using the remote where as I sent the Z-Wave network to the Vizia RF remote; then sent the Vizia RF remote stuff to the VRCOP. I then also moved put the VRCOP next to the RPi2. Both methodologies worked for me. Using a Leviton OmniPro 2 combo panel (X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee controllers on it) plus a Zee-2 HS3 lite and a HS3 Pro configuration. (Homeseer has Z-Wave/X10/UPB controllers plugged in to it).

It works but I cannot see status of a device from one controller to another. It is sort of one way. IE: VRCOP to RPi2 or vice versa.

I also tried this scenario using a Z-Wave stick except that the stick worked from the 2nd floor talking to my RPi2 in the attic.

What you do is copy your RPi2 network over to a USB Z-Wave stick, include the new switch to the stick then copy the network from the stick back to the RPi2.

Then you do not need to move your RPi2.
                Thanks for the input, Pete.
                I managed to get my device added to the network just by temporarily moving the Zee much closer to the device. Then the inclusion worked instantly.
                -steve

Comment

Working...
                X