Plug-In Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug-In Limit

I had a Zeetroller that I gave to a friend and now have a z-net with HS3 running on a windows PC.

I just bought an RPi3 and was thinking about putting HS3 on it so everything would run off the RPi3. It has a zigbee addon card and I would connect the RFXCOM and the X10 CM15A to it as well.

However, there is a five plug-in limit. I wonder why? Or does this just apply to zeetrollers? I have nine active plugins and would love to run everything off one main unit, my RPi3.

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    I had a Zeetroller that I gave to a friend and now have a z-net with HS3 running on a windows PC.

I just bought an RPi3 and was thinking about putting HS3 on it so everything would run off the RPi3. It has a zigbee addon card and I would connect the RFXCOM and the X10 CM15A to it as well.

However, there is a five plug-in limit. I wonder why? Or does this just apply to zeetrollers? I have nine active plugins and would love to run everything off one main unit, my RPi3.
    It was concerns over memory capacity but this was largely mitigated against when the Pi upgraded to 1GB RAM. However it probably is still sensible to have some form of plugin limit (say 10) because of the fixed memory as 1GB is going to be fairly low for a PC now, each plugin from what I have seen in visual studio seems to occupy at somewhere around 20MB memory before you do anything to them so if you figured that they might use 30MB to be cautious you could be at 150MB then you have to add in the OS, HS itself and whatever else and 512MB on the original Zee gets a bit close.

Don't quote me on this but I think running the standard Linux version of HS on the Pi does not have a plugin limit, it's only the HS-Pi version that has the built in limit.

Comment

I run the full release of HS3Pro on a Pi2 and it runs fine.

The 5-plugin limit was implemented when the original Pi was released as the Hometroller Zee. The Zee2 was a Pi2 (briefly) and is now a Pi3, so the 5-plugin limit is still imposed, presumably to conserve RAM on the device.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Does running a 2nd instance of a plugin count as another plugin or against your five?

I know some plugins require a few instances (for example now Harmony remote requires one per remote or hub you have).

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          I run the full release of HS3Pro on a Pi2 and it runs fine.

The 5-plugin limit was implemented when the original Pi was released as the Hometroller Zee. The Zee2 was a Pi2 (briefly) and is now a Pi3, so the 5-plugin limit is still imposed, presumably to conserve RAM on the device.
          Same here. No limit on plugins when running HS Pro on a Pi but don't drive the engine too hard.

Comment

don't drive the engine too hard
            Thanks for the responses. However, I wouldn't be using HS3Pro, just the standard but it seems some people have the 5 plug-in limit and some do not. I'm not talking about a Zeetroller, I'm talking about a new standalone Rpi3.

Thoughts?

Number of Devices: 432
            Number of Events: 185
            Available Threads: 199
            HSTouch Enabled: True
            Event Threads: 2
            Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
            Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
            Device Exec Queue: 0
            HSTouch Event Queue: 0
            Email Send Queue: 0
            Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender

Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.54.0: BLOnkyo
            3.0.0.10: Chromecast
            3.0.0.11: CM15A
            3.0.0.43: EasyTrigger
            1.1.12.0: Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
            2.0.1.7: JowiHue
            3.0.0.28: MediaController
            3.0.1.109: PHLocation
            3.0.5.6: SDJ-Health
            3.0.6542.35207: UltraWeatherWU3
            3.0.0.79: weatherXML
            3.0.1.184: Z-Wave

Comment

That might be a little much for a Pi3, but it wouldnt hurt to try it out. Just monitor the CPU and memory. If you want a little beefier SBC like the Pi3, check out the Rock64. It has much more RAM.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

And note that you can run your HS Windows and PI install at the same time with the same license so you can take your time migrating and testing out (as long as it's a full version of HS and NOT the Pi version).

Comment

And note that you can run your HS Windows and PI install at the same time with the same license so you can take your time migrating and testing out (as long as it's a full version of HS and NOT the Pi version).
                  Now that's cool! So on the download page, there is a Raspberry Pi2-Pi3 version and there's the Linux version. Are you saying to download the Linux version for unlimited plug-ins? It seems the Raspberry version is crippled to 5.

Comment

Now that's cool! So on the download page, there is a Raspberry Pi2-Pi3 version and there's the Linux version. Are you saying to download the Linux version for unlimited plug-ins? It seems the Raspberry version is crippled to 5.
                    I don't believe you can transfer your Windows license to the Raspberry pi version, but you can run the linux version on the Raspberry Pi and it will use the same license as your windows install (and you can run them concurrently while you move from one to the other). It's just like the windows version. I have a license running on a pi that is also running on my dev laptop (I use them for my plugin development).

Like people said, even if you just use the 30 day trial, put the linux version on the Pi and give it a try and see how it goes. If it goes well, put the license on both until you complete the move.

Comment

@sirmeili - Thank you!

Comment

Yes, download the full linux version. I currently have two locations running HS3. The larger installation is now running on a rock64 with 4GB of memory. The other is running on two RPI3's, one running HS3 and the other running some plugins remotely. I found that more than 5 or 6 plugins used up too much memory, so I started running some remotely. It actually works quite well.

Comment

I downloaded the full version, installed mono and some other mono dependencies. Then "sudo ./go" from the directory that I expanded the tar file to.

But part way through I get a ">" and it just sits there. I have to exit by hitting CTRL C.

What am I missing? The installation instructions assume you're not on a pi so it doesn't really help. I'll browse some of the postings on this forum and see where it leads me.

Comment

What am I missing? The installation instructions assume you're not on a pi so it doesn't really help. I'll browse some of the postings on this forum and see where it leads me.

It doesn't really matter. The Pi Wheezy, Jessie or Stretch OS is just a custom Linux version made for the RPi ARM CPU.

Linux is Linux and HomeSeer runs in it's own directory wherever you put it and whatever flavor of Linux you are using as long as you have Mono installed.

Here typically do a sudo su command rather than using sudo in front of every command or use root (which is not suggested but I do it anyways).

What matters in the scripts in the Homeseer directory is that they point to the same directory of Homeseer. If you move or change the HomeSeer directory from the /usr/local/HomeSeer directory then the scripts have to be showing that. IE: here run my homeseer from the root /HomeSeer. Other users use OPT /opt/HomeSeer and other users utilize the /home/user/HomeSeer directory.

the "go" script here just runs in the directory of Homeseer. When the script finishes to run it'll just sit at a prompt and reflect the same as you see in the HomeSeer log.

Then check you web GUI and see if Homeseer is running or not.

Here run the lite version of HomeSeer (at 5 plugins now) on a Pine64 2 Gb ARM based machine that is running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit and HomeSeer Pro on an Intel iSeries machine with 16Gb of ram with Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit plus Oracle Windows Virtual boxes for those Windows things necessary for my Homeseer Pro set up. Well the Windows SAPI runs for four instances of 4 voices talking to two Homeseer 3 machines.

Here is an example of using ./go on another test Linux machine I have running...

HS3ZeeLite:~# cd /HomeSeer
                            root@ICS-HS3ZeeLite:/HomeSeer# ./go
                            Plugin: BLLAN Instance: starting...
                            Connecting to server at 127.0.0.1...
                            Connected, waiting to be initialized...
                            OMNI Plugin v3.0.2.4
                            Connecting to HomeSeer at 127.0.0.1:10400
                            Connected to HS.
                            update_control_file:/updates3/hs3linuxhs3zees2.txt

major pause right now here....interesting in that I have never seen this much of a delay while starting HS3 via the ./go command...typically it starts HS3 faster than this...ahh...had logging off...so manually started it like this:

mono HS3ZeeLite:/HomeSeer# mono HSConsole.exe --log
                            HomeSeer Linux starting...
                            06:50:13:1836:[Database]->Opening (Mode=Read Only) up HomeSeer LOG database /tmp/HomeSeerLog.hsd
                            06:50:13:3063:[Startup]->Loading Settings
                            06:50:13:3477:[Warning]->HomeSeer was not shut down successfully the previous time it was started.
                            06:50:13:6324:[Startup]->Settings Loaded.
                            06:50:14:9964:[Startup]->
                            06:50:14:9974:[Startup]->*********************************************************** *********************
                            06:50:14:9996:[Startup]-> HomeSeer version 3.0.0.387 Edition: HS3 ZEE S2 Starting Now
                            06:50:15:0008:[Startup]->*********************************************************** *********************
                            06:50:15:0016:[Startup]->

Make sure the go script has --log piece....ie: mono hsconsole.exe --log

rest of it looks like this when starting...

06:50:28:1983:[Startup]->Start up complete.
                            Type 'shutdown' to shutdown HomeSeer

> 06:50:30:8104:[OMNI]->-->Reading configuration...

06:51:27:7376:[OMNI]->Plugin startup is complete.
                            06:51:27:7443:[OMNI]->---------------------------

> shutdown
                            06:56:20:8638:[Shutdown]->Application shutdown at 1/19/2018 6:56:20 AM
                            06:56:21:0610:[Shutdown]->Running shutdown script ...
                            06:56:21:0883:[Shutdown]->Finished shutting down all plug-ins.
                            06:56:21:7753:[Shutdown]->-------------------------------------------------------------------
                            06:56:21:7756:[Shutdown]-> HomeSeer Successfully Shut Down Now
                            06:56:21:7759:[Shutdown]->-------------------------------------------------------------------
                            HomeSeer Linux has shut down.

IE: your start up for Homeseer Standard will be identical ....except for the Zee2 piece.

As mentioned above you will maybe push a bit on the RPi3 for your plugins as the RPi3 only has 1 Gb of RAM and you are running more than 5 Plugins. That said try it and see how it fits....note that this is not a production machine right now....current two production HS3 machines are at beta V.398 of HS3.
                            Last edited by Pete; January 19, 2018, 07:58 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

@pete is right, after you run the ./go from the HomeSeer directory you need to open a browser and navigate to the localhost/IP address of the host on port 80. Ex: http://192.168.1.5. Then you will see the web management interface of HS3.

Note if you close the terminal, HS3 will stop. The other option is to setup HS3 to run automatically on startup. This is what I did. There should be a few other topics that go over this in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X