Remotec ZRC-90us on Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remotec ZRC-90us on Homeseer

I just picked up a couple of these: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1526 which seem awesome but I guess I was expecting it to show up in the Events page like the Minimote which allows you to choose the button press (or long press) to activate the event.

The node shows up on the device page but I can't seem to figure out how to trigger an event with any of the buttons.

Thanks!

Bill

I inquired about this remote a week or two ago, and didn't receive any replies.

Still haven't bought it, but off hand . . . If you click on a button, in the device management page, does anything change for the device?

Also, can you provide screen captures of the Z-Wave configuration tab for the device (everything expanded).

Ultimately, and hopefully, what you can do is associate HomeSeer with the device in some way, and then when you click a button, HomeSeer will know. For example, if there are "X" scenes (I think 8?) that you can program with this device, you would need to associate HomeSeer in each scene, and then you can use events to trigger when the scene is turned on/off.

I may be able to provide further assistance with the screen caps, tho.

Comment

Would love to see that supported, it looks much nicer on the wall than a minimote.

Comment

Count me interested too. It seems a very affordable and clean way to trigger events or scenes. IF it works with HS, of course.

Does anything show up in the logs when clicking the buttons?

The manual mentions about needing to LEARN the nodes in the network from the primary controller. There is a chance it may want to talk to zwave devices by itself, instead of sending a signal to the primary controller.

Comment

I'm glad to see interest in this device because I agree that it can be a great asset to our HomeSeer systems. I am uploading a few screenshots which will hopefully help. If it's not obvious by now that I'm a hap-hazard inexperienced user it will be when you look at my logs.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Each one of the Unhandled frame notations in tan in the log are from when I pressed a button on the Remotec

Thank you for your guidance.

Bill
          Attached Files
          Last edited by IMBillRE; February 22, 2016, 01:39 PM. Reason: thought of something else worth noting

Comment

Two things.

First, click on Associations for the device, and for each group, make sure HomeSeer is associated.

Second, make sure that you have added this as a secondary controller. To do so, under the Z-Wave plug-in controller actions, select the item that says something like "send network to secondary controller." And make sure that the remote is woke up so it can receive it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
              Two things.

First, click on Associations for the device, and for each group, make sure HomeSeer is associated.

So if I'm doing this right there's only Group 1 . . .

It's pretty tricky to get the node to respond to 'Test Connectivity' or to find associations. (see screen capture)

Second, make sure that you have added this as a secondary controller. To do so, under the Z-Wave plug-in controller actions, select the item that says something like "send network to secondary controller." And make sure that the remote is woke up so it can receive it.
              OK - there's only a slight chance that I did this right - remember I'm winging it here . . . .
              Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm. If you click buttons on the remote, does anything change on the device management page for the device now, and/or any indication in the log?

I was hoping that this would end up being like a MiniMote, where each button press can be seen in HomeSeer. However, it may be more like a GE wall remote/secondary controller -- where you program the remote itself to control devices/scenes, and then have to use polling in HomeSeer to pick up the changes.

Comment

So this remote needs to keep in its own storage the whole list of nodes active in the network? What happens when new nodes are added? must teach them again?

Comment

Originally posted by etobian View Post
                    So this remote needs to keep in its own storage the whole list of nodes active in the network? What happens when new nodes are added? must teach them again?
                    You know, I don't know! Possibly yes. I have a couple of GE's, and after setting them up, programmed them to control nodes that were already in the network, and haven't had the need to program a different node.

But it's hard to say if that will be necessary, since the network ID would be the same, and hopefully (?) the secondary controller will realize that a node that it doesn't know about but that's on the same network is OK.

Note regarding the GE wall remotes -- they're nice, with one HUGE bug. They can only control nodes that are numbered <= 32. After fiddling with it for three hours or so trying to get it to control a node with a higher number, I looked at the reviews on Amazon and came across that little factoid. Which is a total bummer, because there's no way to change a node's node number.

Comment

I see. Yeah - nothing changed. Button presses still give the same Unhandled frame warning. If that's the case, I can't say that the Remotec is useless. Just not good for any of my current applications.

Reading the product description has me confused . . . . .

The ZRC-90 Scene Master is a Z-Wave Central Scene Controller. When one of the buttons on the ZRC-90 is pushed, your Z-Wave central controller will receive a signal which it can use to trigger unlimited control possibilities. With 8 buttons, each supporting a long-press capability, you can control 16 different actions in your central controller. The ZRC-90 is a great solution for triggering events more quickly than taking out your smart-phone and running a home control app. The Scene Master is ideal for kids, elderlies and guests who may not have full access to your smart home’s mobile application and hence may not have the rights to switch on various lighting, heating, air conditioning and other home appliance. With a convenient snap-in wall mount, the ZRC-90 can also be removed to keep it handy while you go about your home for the ultimate in simple convenience.
                      Last edited by IMBillRE; February 22, 2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Just a wild guess here... maybe after learning the nodes one must teach the scenes themselves. Put it in learn mode and move some switches to the state we want them, so the controller later copies those switch movements.

Otherwise the scenes must be programmed in homeseer, and downloaded to this secondary controller. No idea how to do that.

Comment

More notes on this: I bought two of these so I broke out the other one and fired it up. The instructions say to 'Add a Device' press 'R + L' until light comes on. The light on the device starts blinking but no recognition from HomeSeer - not on the HS on board interface OR on ZTools. Apparently 'R + L' is to Add devices to this device.

The only way to get this to add as a HS node was to tap 'L' which instructions say is put the device in Learn Mode. (scratches chin).

The only way to Exclude this is to do a factory reset and manually delete the device from the device list. Thus the single tap 'R' does not do anything to begin removal process from HS but apparently would remove other Z-Wave devices from Remotec.

I don't really understand Primary and Secondary but there is a button command to do that which didn't seem to change anything. (W+R)

So, I guess what I'm saying is that someone with more knowledge and one of these in their hands might be able to figure it out. (and share of course)

I'm looking for something like this but that works like the MINIMOTE that you press a button to start an Event.

Thanks

Comment

May want to submit a Bugzilla report on the off-chance someone responds . . . .

Comment

A controller is the device where the nodes are registered. Your primary controller is Homeseer itself. Can't have two primaries, so we need this Remotec to play as secondary.

When you ask it to Add a Device it is trying to perform the same function as when you just installed a new switch and want Homeseer to recognize it and assign it a node number.

From the info we see so far, it seems it needs to receive (learn) a list of nodes from HS, and chances are it may want to talk to the nodes by itself, instead of communicating with HS.

Have you tried opening the SETTINGS area? (in the z-wave tab, right on top of Associations). There may be some stuff there.

Comment

Working...
                              X