Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plcbus?

Hi All,

I'm still quite new to home atumation etc. i've got a few x10 modules/switches around the house and abiotu 4 Z-wave ones (stilll waiting for decent controllers and switches).

I've noticed that Kevin Lo's site is selling 'PLCBUS' modules. They seem to be a lot better than x10, and look like exactly what i need. But i've got a few questions.

1. Are they designed to work in the UK?
    2. Can you use them with Homeseer
    3. How does the x10 compatibility work in practice, any problems with dimming etc?.

... basically, I was wondering if anyone's acutallu bought them and used them, and if so what they thought.

Thanks.

snx.

http://x10-hk.com/store/index.php?cPath=22

Yeah, I'll second that, I'm about to get some new modules and these do appear to do everything I need, so I'd be grateful if somebody (Kevin) would answer.

TIA

Keith

Comment

I haven't seen a PLCBUS powerline PC controller yet. That's why I have never tried this technology.

The solution is to use a X10 to PLCBUS converter but ...
      --
      stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus View Post
        The solution is to use a X10 to PLCBUS converter but ...
        But what?
        Is it that using an X10 convertor will mean you introduce the unreliability again? Or is it something else?

Keith

Comment

One of the pros of PLCBUS is speed. It's much quicker than X10.
          Another pro is that it's always two-ways. Each command gets confirmed.

So if your sending a PLCBUS Command from your PC:

PC --> X10 (slow) --> X10toPLCBUSconverter-->PLCBUS-->Device

Then the device is going to ack the command, and I don't even know what the converter is gonna do

Device--->PLCBUS ack-->X10toPLCBUSconverter-->X10 ack ? (slow again)-->PC
          --
          stipus

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering the same.

I'm guessing that all PLCBUS/UPB technology (like all X10 technology) will be the same i.e. compatible so I was seriously considering getting a PLCBUS PC controller from the US and then converting it to 220v. Along with the relevant plugin for Homeseer I should have everything I need to have a very robust and controllable setup.

Any thoughts?

Keith

Comment

Where did you find a PLCBUS PC Controller ?
              --
              stipus

Comment

http://www.pcslighting.com/downloads...h/pim_tech.pdf

or

http://simply-automated.com/products/sa_UMC.htm

I'm hoping that they won't be hard to convert to 220v and I'm sure it would be cheaper than an X10 to PLCBUS convertor!!

Keith

Comment

Are you certain PLCBUS and UPB are the same ?
                  --
                  stipus

Comment

I'm a skeptic anyway so wouldn't believe it was the same until I personally had it working but from what I have read they appear to be the same.

From the benefits of this system over my existing X10 setup I think it's worth spending a few Euro to find out...

Keith

Comment

No info either way but a google search of plcbus upb same? gave this link

http://www.tutorials-blog.com/automation/PLCBUS/

looks liek this has been covered by them - and the summary looks like "sort of the same idea from a technology point of view, but not the same thing and it won't inter-operate" but - someone else might dig through the posts and come up with a different summary.

Malarcy

Comment

..and that's why I'm a skeptic!

Although I did get the following in an email from Kevin in HK

"1) We already got the PLCBUS USB Computer Interface on hand , but
                        didn't develop any driver on Homeseer.
                        If you are programmer , I can send you a Communication Protocol of this computer interface , so that you can develop a plug-in driver on Homeseer."

Comment

That's interesting !!!
                          --
                          stipus

Comment

The company making PLCBUS devices is Shanghai Super Smart, and I don't see any PLCBUS PC Controller on their site.

http://www.s10.cn
                            --
                            stipus

Comment

I emailed Kevin to come and make a comment on this thread, hopefully that will answer all our questions.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X