Arduino Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arduino Switch

Been playing with a few arduino's and raspberry pi's. They seem so easy following along in tutorials but once I stray off I'm quickly lost. Trying to use one for a contact switch on my garage door to know it is closed. I figured I could just have the arduino call up a Homeseer URL every time the button state changes to set the status. Anyone know of any tutorials that basically combine a button push and a web client.

Or has anyone used an arduino in such a way?

This seems like a lot of hardware and hoops when a magnet and a DS10A door and window sensor works perfectly. All you need is a X10 receiver to receive the signal.
    Here's one thread on the topic:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=144299
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Personally I like the direct wire approach and would keep it simple as Rupp mentioned.

On the other hand if you want to play with Linux then.....

I am though doing something similiar with my Seagate Dockstar. It is running the mcsSprinklers in Arch Linux. That said it is connected serially to two Rain8nets. Remote via the network though is via xAP. The set up can be managed and controlled by Homeseer via the network or locally. Remote wireless control is via the HS box connected to a W800 which in turn talks xAP to the Seagate dockstar. I do get almost instant HW responses using xAP. I am comparing the response times to an x10 IO versus an xAP IO with my Zoneminder box to see which of the two is faster. I can't really tell but lean a bit towards the use of xAP.

Really though its best to test it yourself. Send up an event based on a change with Homeseer, one being an HTML "press button", another being an X10 command via wireless and on and on; do a direct IO using an IO board connected to Homeseer, see which one offers you the quickest response times; play with it.

That is me though and my setup.
      Last edited by Pete; March 12, 2013, 09:09 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by garf12 View Post
        Or has anyone used an arduino in such a way?
        HI,

I monitor my garage door with a magnetic switch and and arduino. It is not ethernet based yet. If you run a cable to the switch from the arduino at the server then my script that can be found Here can be used.
        If you would like to use it then drop me an e-mail and I will help you out.

Greig.
        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
        Scripts =
        Various

Comment

Well heck im a dingbat. I had already purchased an i/o linc and sensor. Started looking at that thread that rupp posted and thought I recognized that.

I had to move away for work for a year and my home automation hobby got interupted, I forgot what all I had.

Comment

Working...
          X