Zee S2 loosing time (hours off)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zee S2 loosing time (hours off)

Kinda new here, not sure where to post this. I've had my Zee S2 for about 2 months now and on multiple occasions lights have not come on as scheduled due to the time being off. My settings are set for time zone and geographical area correctly (almost 100% sure), but it seems to be off at least once a week. Is there something I can do to remedy this? My log doesn't show anything except when I restart it to get the time fixed.

Appreciate the help in advance.

Brian

Does it have connectivity to the internet? The Zee uses ntp to sync time to a server on the internet.

Comment

It's plugged into the router. My internet isn't the fastest, but it works. Sometimes there are outages. Does it not catch back up when the internet is working again?

Comment

I just verified that the Zee S2 checks periodically for time updates. Could the hardware be overloaded and be running at 100% CPU for long periods of time?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have 8 nodes, probably not.

Comment

I would bet that something is blocking NTP traffic or a DNS issue.
            Can you SSH to the box and run:
            ntpq -p

(or you can run it from the HS Tools menu)
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm a newbie, not sure how to do that!

Comment

Looks like I found an issue. My router was not connecting to a NTP server. I figured out how to get it to connect, I will watch and see if that worked.

Comment

What exactly did you do so this thread provides the answer to the original question.

Comment

Not sure it fixed it, will be checking it for the next week or so.

I went into the router settings and there was a blank for the NTP server, there was an error message saying that the router was not syncing to the NTP server. With a little research, I put time.nist.gov in the blank and that fixed the router sync problem.

I'm hoping this fixes the issue with the Z2

Comment

I have the same problem. However, the RaspberryPi as hardware.
                      Unfortunately, I do not think the router has no effect unless the NTP pack is blocked.

Short term it can work to change the time zone back and forth.
                      But any long-term solution, I have not see or received any support answers to yet.

Comment

The Zee is suppose to sync with the NTP time server every 5 minutes. So if this is working, it should keep the proper time, or at least the time of the server. If you are on the internet you can try to force a time check from SSH with:

sudo /etc/init.d/ntp restart

Then check the time and see if it changed.

You can also set your own NTP serverby editing the file : /etc/ntp.conf

Comment

Originally posted by bcnorton View Post
                          Not sure it fixed it, will be checking it for the next week or so.

I went into the router settings and there was a blank for the NTP server, there was an error message saying that the router was not syncing to the NTP server. With a little research, I put time.nist.gov in the blank and that fixed the router sync problem.

I'm hoping this fixes the issue with the Z2
                          This likely will not fix it as this is for the router syncing it's clock using NTP. The Zee S2 doesn't request time from your router, it requests time from an NTP server directly.

Cheers
                          Al
                          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

If you're not familiar with SSH, you can issue any of the commands above from the Linux Tools menu option.
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              If you're not familiar with SSH, you can issue any of the commands above from the Linux Tools menu option.

There's a guy speaking my language!!! I ran the restart, time was correct before and after the restart.

I'm watching it over the next couple of weeks because it doesn't occur but maybe once every 1-2 weeks.

I'll let y'all know...

Comment

Working...
                              X