Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to announce to HS speaker from Alexa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see it acting on the command - only HS is? I checked the install docs and verified the files are in the correct places - I restarted HS too. I also pressed the test button on the setup page and see responses in the log (attached)...

There are two screen shots - the top one is when I press the test button, the bottom is when I announce "Alexa, tell homeseer to announce time for school"

Thanks,
    Attached Files

Comment

What version of HS are you using. Is this Windows/Linux?
      Jon

Comment

Windows, Version 3.0.0.402 --- maybe I jumped the gun and shouldn't have installed the latest beta...

Comment

That should be OK. Is the skill (Tell Homeseer) working normally i.e. you can run events etc directly without issue?
          Jon

Comment

Yes - I also logged into Alexa and all my HS devices are published and I can control them OK.

Comment

There are two skills for Alexa; one which displays your devices and a second which uses the "Tell/Ask Homeseer". Please confirm you have both installed.

Details here: https://homeseer.com/amazon-alexa-integration/
              Jon

Comment

I went into Alexa, deleted all my skills and added both homeseer skills again, discovered devices and am able to control them.

Same error. Alexa responds with device not found.

Attaching screen shot of log showing HS is getting the announcement.

Also showing screen shot of my Alexa skill panel.

Thanks for the help - my system seems cursed - every "simple" project I try seems to turn into quite the effort.
                Attached Files

Comment

No, you still need to add the 'Homeseer Home Automation Skill'. Go to the link I posted which tells you how to set it up.
                  Jon

Comment

Ugh - seems like I have tried everything - I have all three services installed and I still get "device not found" from Alexa. I had to leave to catch a flight so I won't be near Alexa until this weekend when I will keep trying...

Comment

I have all three skills installed - same issue. Device not found. I am now running .409 of HS on Windows. All three HS skills are enabled, and Alexa is communicating fine with HS.

I checked the installation notes and I didn't put the scripts in the scripts directory - I did that, restarted and still get the same error.

I think it has to do with this beta version - a big part of the latest HS beta is the new Alexa API (v3?) -- can it be possible that this solution is in conflict with the new API?

I tried to revert to the latest shipping version and of course, I can't - I am stuck on this version. Does anyone have this working with HS .40X?

Thanks,

Comment

It has nothing to do with the beta. Works fine on .409

What happens if you say:

'Alexa, Start Homeseer' ?
                        Jon

Comment

OK - I think I got it. Apparently, when I moved the scripts from the home directory to the scripts directory, I forgot to also move check_vcmd.vb too -- I noticed that when I reinstalled the scripts so now I see your script taking control and Alexa says OK. This is so cool! Can't wait to start integrating it to my setup. Thanks for the help,

Comment

OK, sound like it is working correctly. FYI, you may need to delete the Homeseer skill as the Homeseer SmartHome Skill is its replacement. I believe Rich is trying to get it removed from the Amazon skills.
                            Jon

Comment

Working...
                            X