Internet speed increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet speed increase

Comcast is installing gigabit internet service in certain areas of the US. They are claiming speeds 10 times faster than their existing networks.

Will this increase in speed have much of an impact on home automation? I am thinking about cloud services such as Alexa and MyHomeseer.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
    Comcast is installing gigabit internet service in certain areas of the US. They are claiming speeds 10 times faster than their existing networks.

Will this increase in speed have much of an impact on home automation? I am thinking about cloud services such as Alexa and MyHomeseer.

Steve Q
    I doubt it. The data sent for HA is minimal and so generally quick. Those who stream videos or are shifting vast amounts of data will notice.

Comment

Is it a symetrix link?
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I jut upgraded my Comcast service to gigabit. It's 1 gigabit down, 40 Mbps up with a 1TB monthly data cap. I don't really see any difference in automation including Alexa, but the extra speed is great for other things! I tested and am getting as close as realistically possible to gigabit downloads (about 940-960 Mbps). Protocol overhead prevents actually getting 1000 Mbps on a 1 gigabit link.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
          I jut upgraded my Comcast service to gigabit. It's 1 gigabit down, 40 Mbps up with a 1TB monthly data cap. I don't really see any difference in automation including Alexa, but the extra speed is great for other things! I tested and am getting as close as realistically possible to gigabit downloads (about 940-960 Mbps). Protocol overhead prevents actually getting 1000 Mbps on a 1 gigabit link.
          Interesting that you have a data cap now. 1TB is quite a bit of data, however at 1GB speeds that could be reached faster for people who use streaming services (Movies/Music etc). I bet those speed tests that you are performing are also counting against your data cap as well. I think I'd rather have the slower data speeds without a data cap for the moment. Really hope that trend doesn't continue....gotta feeling it will though.
          HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Here have regular Comcast and have seen data cap messages on my invoices in 2017.

The messages were congratulatory messages that I have not exceeded my data caps.

My last call to CC to about 2 weeks ago was to fix an invoice verbiage. They corrected verbiage on my invoice, reset my account (very much of a PITA) then on the next invoice they double billed me for fixing my invoice.

Just looked at last invoice and there is no data cap message on it.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
              Interesting that you have a data cap now. 1TB is quite a bit of data, however at 1GB speeds that could be reached faster for people who use streaming services (Movies/Music etc). I bet those speed tests that you are performing are also counting against your data cap as well. I think I'd rather have the slower data speeds without a data cap for the moment. Really hope that trend doesn't continue....gotta feeling it will though.
              All data plans available to me have the 1TB data cap unless I elect to pay an additional US$50/mo for unlimited data. I get two months of overage before they start charging me the fee of $10 per 50GB of data over the limit, up to a maximum of $200 for the overage. That's pretty steep. I've well exceeded my 1TB in my first month, but that's because I changed online backup providers and uploaded about 1.5TB over several days. Even though this is the first month I've gone over, Comcast's website says "you have been charged $130" for excess data. We'll see what happens when I get my bill. Their customer service is absolutely horrible. I had a supervisor call me a couple of days ago to "explain my options" who insisted it was "impossible" for me to get the gigabit plan, and that I was being charged about half of what they actually bill me for. I tried to explain that I *already* have the gigabit plan and it's working fine, and I even ran a speed test while we were on the call, but she insisted I was confused.

Regarding the speed tests, I usually test against Comcast's own servers which don't count against my data allocation.
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                All data plans available to me have the 1TB data cap unless I elect to pay an additional US$50/mo for unlimited data. I get two months of overage before they start charging me the fee of $10 per 50GB of data over the limit, up to a maximum of $200 for the overage. That's pretty steep. I've well exceeded my 1TB in my first month, but that's because I changed online backup providers and uploaded about 1.5TB over several days. Even though this is the first month I've gone over, Comcast's website says "you have been charged $130" for excess data. We'll see what happens when I get my bill. Their customer service is absolutely horrible. I had a supervisor call me a couple of days ago to "explain my options" who insisted it was "impossible" for me to get the gigabit plan, and that I was being charged about half of what they actually bill me for. I tried to explain that I *already* have the gigabit plan and it's working fine, and I even ran a speed test while we were on the call, but she insisted I was confused.

Regarding the speed tests, I usually test against Comcast's own servers which don't count against my data allocation.
                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Texas, Houston metro area. From what I've read Comcast has data caps in most US states now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                    Where approximately do you live? The only place I’ve heard of data caps was when we visited Australia. I’m in California, US and haven’t heard of them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I originally left Comcast to go to CenturyLink years ago because Comcast added their caps (250GB at the time). Their local office refused to acknowledge it even though I had documents to prove they had in fact added them. At the time CenturyLink didn't have caps and speeds were "close enough" (I got 10mbps from CL at the time)... Fast forward a few years and CenturyLink added their caps and Comcast had suspended theirs for most markets, so I made the swap back to Comcast.

With the past year or two Comcast added their caps back and increased it to 1TB. I work from home and I do a lot of data transfer, so unfortunately I pay the $50/month extra to have true unlimited with 150/25 mbps speeds (total bill is about $135/month). Even if CenturyLink didn't have caps, they still max out at 10mbps here. I'm thinking of making the best of it though and doing a point to point wireless network to my mom's house 2 streets over and have her cancel her CenturyLink DSL and phone (almost $100 per month!) and she can just pay me a few bucks for internet and she hates that all she gets is telemarketing calls anyways, so doesn't want the phone. After a couple of months, I'll still come out ahead with the unlimited. I've even considered doing a point to point to my brother's house across the lake (not exactly line of sight though).

So yeah, Caps in the US are a thing and the big companies are starting to roll them out (many already have). Feel lucky if you have good speeds and no cap. Many of us don't.

Comment

Last edited by Kerat; March 21, 2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Depending on the time of year I can go over 2TB/month. I tried to get GB speeds as they say they have it in the city south of me (which is a smaller town), but they say they don't offer it here (which sucks). They also said they don't offer 150, but that is what I have. The comcast reps suck for knowing what is going on. The deal for the GB in the city south of me was $69/month for 2 years under contract then $140/month or just $140/month. I am now paying $74/month for 150 and basic cable because it's actually cheaper to have internet and cable than just internet for some reason. I have to call every 1-2 years when my "deal" ends and ask for promo pricing, which they give me......every time (without the deal internet alone is cheaper, but more expensive than the promo, so they send me to the retention department who give me the deal again).

It does seem like I've been slacking off on my data usage since the beginning of the year though (September was light due to being without internet for almost half the month).
                        Attached Files

Comment

If you are on Comcast, do they just rate limit you when you hit the 1TB cap or do they charge you for the overage?

Comment

I haven't been rate limited since going over the limit this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                              If you are on Comcast, do they just rate limit you when you hit the 1TB cap or do they charge you for the overage?

They just charge you per $10 per 50GB over the 1GB with a max of $200/billing cycle of overage charges (so up to 1TB of additional data). After you hit the 2TB, I'm not sure if they rate limit or not. I allowed myself to go over the limit for 2 months for the 2 "warning months" and never noticed any rate limiting.

BTW, the Comcast sales rep told me to go ahead and use my 2 free warning months before turning on the unlimited for $50. I was hesitant because knowing Comcast they could have charged me overages anyways, but it worked out. And it's not like the Rep thought I wouldn't go over, my history before the cap showed I was going over 1TB every month for months prior to the change.

Comment

Working...
                              X