Any wired Zwave motion sensor products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any wired Zwave motion sensor products?

I was wondering if there are any wired zwave motions sensors? I've looked at the HSM100 and the ZIR000 but these are all battery operated.

I have a larger facility where I need quite a few motion sensor and I'd like to wire them so that I don't have to deal with changing batteries all the time. Anyone have any suggestions? If there are no Zwave wired sensors, are there other options (non zwave) where I can detect the change in HomeSeer and fire off the desired event?

Thanks

I get the impression that you might be looking for a zwave motion sensor, but that plugs in, so to avoid the battery topic? If so, I am not aware of any, but of course that doesn't mean one is not out there. You could always modify the existing options to use a wall wart. I know the HSM-100 supports doing that, in that its behavior can be changed through settings so that it acts like a plugged in sensor (rather than trying to save every bit of power possible to save battery power).

Another option is to use an i/o board with Homeseer, so that traditional motion sensors can be hardwired (or wireless if such 3rd party products have a receiver with dry contact outputs that you could connect to the i/o board).

I suppose there is a 3rd option of any of the other connection technologies that Homeseer supports, such as x10, etc. if such technologies have a plugged in sensor like you are wanting.

Comment

The HSM100 can be powered - see this link: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...owering+hsm100 after you are running the HSM100 on electric then you will need to update the configuration: Sleep-State to Always On then it will act as a repeater in the nework

Comment

Has anyone ever used an HSM100 outside to trip flood lights? Installed where it would not be in direct contact of rain etc on a porch.

Comment

I have one on my porch. It's mounted in a sheltered area where it won't get wet and not exposed to direct sunlight. Here in California the weather is pretty temperate, so I don't believe I have to worry too much about the cold and heat. It's been working fine now for several months, but time will tell .
          Mike

Comment

Have had 1 on the front of the house and 1 on the back of the house with no issues since they came out - use the sensors to control light outside and inside the house

Comment

I know this is an old topic, but it is now 2017, have any more elegant solutions come to market?

The old X10 MS16A works more reliably than any Zwave sensor I have tried so far. They are just so much slower than zwave.

I have even considered getting a 12V professional Honeywell sensor and just routing the contact to Homeseer somehow.

Homeseers ADIO-100 is one option, but thats a lot of wire to run plus I would have to buy an I/O card for the computers, most computers dont come with serial ports anymore, and the USB/Serial converters are hit and miss. Anyway, it adds about $25 plus a lot of wire per sensor.

Also considered the Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW097 Dry Contact Sensor, it adds $35 a sensor.

Also considered the
              FortrezZ Z-WavePlus MiMO2+, it also adds about $35 per sensor.

Has anybody had any experience with the above options?

Are there any more options out there for getting reliable motion detection into homeseer?

Thanks for any feedback.....

Comment

Originally posted by mikepetro View Post
                I know this is an old topic, but it is now 2017, have any more elegant solutions come to market?

The old X10 MS16A works more reliably than any Zwave sensor I have tried so far. They are just so much slower than zwave.

I have even considered getting a 12V professional Honeywell sensor and just routing the contact to Homeseer somehow.

Homeseers ADIO-100 is one option, but thats a lot of wire to run plus I would have to buy an I/O card for the computers, most computers dont come with serial ports anymore, and the USB/Serial converters are hit and miss. Anyway, it adds about $25 plus a lot of wire per sensor.

Also considered the Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW097 Dry Contact Sensor, it adds $35 a sensor.

Also considered the
                FortrezZ Z-WavePlus MiMO2+, it also adds about $35 per sensor.

Has anybody had any experience with the above options?

Are there any more options out there for getting reliable motion detection into homeseer?

Thanks for any feedback.....
                https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...e-multi-sensor
                Originally posted by rprade
                There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks, I tried 2 of them, not well suited for outside.

They work "ok" in the bathrooms where you have high outlets. A lot of missed movements though, and even more so when the outlet is only 18" off the ground.

I wish they would enhance that concept though, and develop some more lines voltage Motion Sensors, or even better yet 12/24vdc stuff.

Any battery powered zwave motion sensor goes to great lengths to conserve power, unfortunately that also translates to lower performance.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepetro View Post
                    Thanks, I tried 2 of them, not well suited for outside.

They work "ok" in the bathrooms where you have high outlets. A lot of missed movements though, and even more so when the outlet is only 18" off the ground.

I wish they would enhance that concept though, and develop some more lines voltage Motion Sensors, or even better yet 12/24vdc stuff.

Any battery powered zwave motion sensor goes to great lengths to conserve power, unfortunately that also translates to lower performance.
                    Before I switched to wired PIRs with my security stem, I had a number of Aeotec multi-sensor 6 units. They were all powered. They are rated for outdoor use and the three I have left are outside. They actually reconfigure as a fully listening node when they are powered. When I had a dozen or so indoors, they were fast and very reliable.

You could also consider the GE Z-Wave motion switches that were recently released. They are motion detectors and a Z-Wave switch in a single package.
                    Last edited by randy; November 8, 2017, 08:58 PM.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Cool device for indoors (thanks), might have to get a few, outdoors is my real challenge though.

Comment

If you're running wires any way for the high voltage why not just skip the screwy and unreliable Z-Wave and just get an alarm panel? People use Z-Wave not because it's fantastic but because there's nothing better. Really it kinda sucks. Alarm panels and the associated sensors are rock solid. Even the wireless sensors for alarm panels beat the snot out of Z-Wave sensors.
                        Originally posted by rprade
                        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                          If you're running wires any way for the high voltage why not just skip the screwy and unreliable Z-Wave and just get an alarm panel? People use Z-Wave not because it's fantastic but because there's nothing better. Really it kinda sucks. Alarm panels and the associated sensors are rock solid. Even the wireless sensors for alarm panels beat the snot out of Z-Wave sensors.
                          Good point, I am actually working towards that, just have to spread out the investment. Was kind of hope zwave motion had improved in the last 3 years. I think any battery device, regardless of protocol will be lacking though. However, ADT etc seem to make them work.

Comment

For the OmniPro 2 combo panel here utilize primarily wired sensors. For outside utilize Optex outdoor PIRs.

I do have the two types of wireless receivers for the OmniPro and only have tested a couple of wireless widgets. IE: programmed a 4 button wireless FOB.

Here upgrading my wired PIRs to combo micro wave - IR motion sensors. Baby steps wise. Prices are better today for these than a couple of years ago.

Zigbee motion sensors work better and faster than the Z-Wave same stuff.

Have a look here ==> JowiHue

I have tested a network of wireless Zigbee sensors (only battery operated Zigbee sensors and nothing else) and they are fast (door, water, PIR).

Here is a Bosch Zigbee PIR.

Bosch Pro-Grade ZigBee Wireless Motion Detector ISW-ZPR1-WP13 - $19.99

[ATTACH]64391[/ATTACH]

Note that this device only works with Samsung Smarthings hub.

That said you may be able to get the Homeseer Zigbee 3rd party plugin to work with this device.

Here is an outdoor PIR / camera device that uses two AA batteries.

[ATTACH]64392[/ATTACH]
                            Last edited by Pete; November 10, 2017, 08:19 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

That last one looks interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X