CT30 Important Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
    Very interesting! Of my 3 thermostats, only one of them references (Beam 1000). The rest just say True in the listener field. Not surprisingly the one that says Beam 1000 is also the one that doesn't reliably poll. I'm sure I had that on batteries for testing before I installed it. I use a C wire on all three.

My take on this is that one of my stats and all of yours are in beaming mode, and should be removed and re-added while on the C wire.
    I did that with mine. Even took the batteries out before adding it again in HS. It polls OK, until it doesn't. The only thing that fixes the connection between the tstat and HS is pressing reset button on thermostat. Of course, this requires me to be home! I absolutely hate these things and would not recommend them to anyone.

Comment

VirtualPanther, you just need an event that fires off a reset-button-pusher.

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't recommend these thermostats either. I bought them because of the price and they've given me nothing but trouble. I saw on the HST store that they offer a firmware update service for them now for $40. I think if I were to spend more money on thermostats at this point I'd buy a different stat.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I have 3 of these in my home and they are working fine, so I am not sure what issues there are.

Note that the stat will be in battery mode if you include it to the network when its running on batteries (will require beaming to wake it up).

If you add it to the network when its powered by the C wire, then it will be in line mode and act as a repeater and will always be awake.

If you are running on batteries and its in line mode, the batteries will be dead in a couple of days so you will know its in the wrong mode.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

VirtualPanther, you just need an event that fires off a reset-button-pusher.
          Only problem is, after you hit the reset button, the heating mode switches to "off". So, you'll need a reset-button-and-reenable-heating-mode-pusher. ;-)

I saw on the HST store that they offer a firmware update service for them now for $40. I think if I were to spend more money on thermostats at this point I'd buy a different stat.
          The only thing of relevance that's fixed with the firmware is the thermostat's state is being reported now. It was a strange decision not to include it in the first place -- it was reportedly to conserve battery power, but if you don't have a C wire your thermostat is only going to last a month or two on batteries anyway. Radiothermostat's Wifi U-SNAP module doesn't even work properly without a C wire. (Whether or not it works properly in general is open for debate.)

Personally, I don't need the firmware upgrade because I worked around it by building up a relay box that sits between the thermostats and the heating units (I have a gas furnace and a pellet stove insert).

I'm not going to risk messing up my HS setup by removing thermostats and trying to figure out how to add them again while connected to a C wire (I don't have a Z troller) until someone can confirm that "(Beam 1000)" means that it was initially added in "unreliable mode".

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            I have 3 of these in my home and they are working fine, so I am not sure what issues there are.
            HS is a black box to the outside world. You don't have any problems with them because it's your code, so you know how it behaves. You know that you're supposed to connect a C wire before you mate the thermostats, which is why you're not seeing any problems.

I don't have a Z-troller, so every time I add a Z-Wave device, I bring it close to the USB interface like I'm supposed to, then deploy the device, and optimize. I'm pretty sure this is the same thing I did with the thermostats when I installed them a year ago, because I didn't know there was a permanent difference based on how they were initially added to HS. My guess is I put batteries in them, brought them close to the USB interface, mated them, then installed them on the wall and connected the C wire. I've had nothing but problems with them since (it got so bad that it's the primary reason why I was actually considering Premise), but this is the first I've heard of this difference.

So what does your "who am I" output look like for your 2GIG thermostat?

Comment

I just removed and added my thermostat back while on C wire. The "Beam 1000" is no longer displayed in node info. Since it's close to my Z-Troller I used the Add Node button in HS to do it.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> 2</td><td colspan="2" class="tableroweven" align="left"> 1st Floor Hallway Hallway Thermostat </td><td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> 0:1:00 </td><td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> 2GIG</td><td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> 1 H</td><td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> 1E H</td><td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> True</td><td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> 2.78 (ZDK Version 5.02 Patch 3) App: 5.0</td><td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">Unknown (0)</td> <td colspan="1" class="tableroweven" align="center"> 40.0Kbps</td><td colspan="4" class="tableroweven" align="left"> Basic: ROUTING SLAVE
              Generic: THERMOSTAT</td></tr></tbody></table>
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I noticed the same thing whe I did this. The manual states however that the Stat only acts as a Beamer when externally powered; which makes sense.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Ok, looks like I have some experimenting to do this evening...

Wadenut, what was the trick that you used to remove and re-add the thermostat without having to change anything else in HS? Drozwood said something about it in an email, but couldn't find the thread.

Thanks,
                  Chris

Comment

I didn't have any events associated with the thermostat, so it was just a matter of getting it removed, deleting the devices and re-adding.

I did have to "fiddle" with the LINK button on the stat several times to get it to remove from the Z-Troller.
                    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Had to run a USB extension cord to get the Z stick close enough, but it worked...

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">14</td> <td class="tablerowodd" colspan="2" align="left">Z-Wave Interface Gas Thermostat Control </td> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">0:3:54 </td> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">2GIG</td> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">1 H</td> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">1E H</td> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">True</td> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">2.78 (ZDK Version 5.02 Patch 3) App: 4.9</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#00ff00">Excellent (9)</td> <td class="tablerowodd" align="center">40.0Kbps</td> <td class="tablerowodd" colspan="4" align="left">Basic: ROUTING SLAVE
                      Generic: THERMOSTAT</td></tr> <tr> <td class="tablerowodd" colspan="4" align="left">
                      </td> <td class="tablerowodd" colspan="12" align="left">BASIC, CLOCK, INDICATOR, MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC, SENSOR MULTILEVEL, THERMOSTAT MODE V2, THERMOSTAT OPERATING STATE, THERMOSTAT FAN MODE, THERMOSTAT SETPOINT, VERSION</td></tr></tbody></table>
                      Why is it that no one ever mentions anything about this when there's a 2GIG reliability problem? I mean, I had a 2GIG thermostat completely wig out on me and switch to 90 degrees in cooling mode this past February, when I don't even have a thermostatically controlled AC unit.

I just switched modes, so I won't know if my Z-Wave network problems will go away after making this change for a few days, but I'll be sure to report back...

Comment

Is there a way to tell if when you add the thermostat, if it's awake at all times or not?

Comment

Originally posted by afmiller View Post
                          Is there a way to tell if when you add the thermostat, if it's awake at all times or not?
                          It depends on whether you are running on batteries or have the stat hardwired.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have it hardwired and batteries in it as well. I erased my interface, re added the thermostat. But there is no way to officially know if it's running without taking out the batteries and trying?

Comment

Look at my "before" and "after" posts. My "before" said "(Beam 1000)", but the "after" didn't.

Chris

Comment

Where did you get that layout? Mine doesn't have anything that says that.

Comment

Working...
                                X