X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not so smart homes

Tell me, how do you feel when you see an article like this:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/c...t-home-awards/

I immediately loose respect for tech authors praising app controlled lights as "smart home" or "home automation". 10 speakers at pool side. That really improved a house's IQ. At best, convenient house or House-of-the-lazy-one.
    It just pinches my nerves.

Getting too impatient (AKA old).

So, what would you think could be the bare-bone minimum to consider a house smart?

I agree with you. I didn't see any smart homes here at all. Just expensive and fancy manual controls. I'm sure Crestron can do more, though I've never used it myself other than in customer boardrooms (where the interface always is clunky and confusing).

I don't know what defines a smart home exactly, but the ability to manually control lighting, HVAC, pool, etc. via phone or tablet is not it. Truthfully I don't even consider my own home all that "smart" considering I just have simple time or motion based events for lighting and HVAC, plus some sensors for monitoring. I'm starting over in the house I just bought in TX, and plan to make it a little smarter than the current house.

Still working on the list of things I'll add to it. I have family who will visit often and sometimes use the house when I'm not there, so I want convenience and comfort automation for them, plus safety/security. I'm having to think hard about how much I really automate after my mom and sister shared a few misgivings about spending too much time there. They are a little afraid that "the house is watching" all the time. My sister actually asked me if the house counted the number of flushes when she used the bathroom. I said of course not, but maybe....
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

For ME, a smart home should behave accordingly to what happens inside of it. Like when I enter my house, it automatically starts playing my favourite Spotify playlist. But if my wife arrives, it just turn on the TV.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

I would consider any setup that uses any degree of logic which automates the home's systems to be a smart home. ie; the front door was unlocked using the door code and it's after sunset so turn on the front hall lights and deactivate the alarm.
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Tell me, how do you feel when you see an article like this

It's just an advertisement for Crestron; no different than many articles / projects depicted in Electronic House Magazine.

Interesting article this month:

DIY Smart Home Project: Do-It-Yourselfer Designs and Installs His Own Whole-House Music System

So, what would you think could be the bare-bone minimum to consider a house smart?

Lighting automation done in the late 1970's.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
            I would consider any setup that uses any degree of logic which automates the home's systems to be a smart home. ie; the front door was unlocked using the door code and it's after sunset so turn on the front hall lights and deactivate the alarm.
            Agree. It does not have to be brilliant. As Pete put it, some 70's homes had more automation than an iPad turning on a lamp.

Comment

I consider them "remotely controlled homes" but not automated homes.
              HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                My sister actually asked me if the house counted the number of flushes when she used the bathroom. I said of course not, but maybe....
                Dear Julia,

It came to my attention that in the past 4 days you have increased the number of bathroom flushes 28%. I suggest a doctor visit, or leaving your phone out of the bathroom.
                To compensate for this excessive water usage, I have reduced irrigation on zone 3 (your tomatoes) by 6% for the next two weeks.

Regards,
                House.

Comment

I have a saying: I want my automation to have the capability to wipe my (rearend) -- but have the good sense not to try ...

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                    I have a saying: I want my automation to have the capability to wipe my (rearend) -- but have the good sense not to try ...
                    I think this should be your new signature.
                    My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

I think the terms are used far too vaguely. I think the definition should be:
                      Home control - events driven by human action on a switch, app, and voice command (ex: open an app app and turn a light on, triple tap an HS switch to run an event, tell alexa to turn on a light.)

Home automation - programming events that are driven by normal behavior triggering action (ex: walk down a hallway and motion detection automatically turns on the hallway light for a period of time).

Smart home - use of both of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                        Home automation - programming events that are driven by normal behavior triggering action (ex: walk down a hallway and motion detection automatically turns on the hallway light for a period of time).
                        Our approach in our home is “hands off” meaning we rarely operate a switch or dimmer (usually only if HS3 burps and stumbles or I’m messing with stuff).

Our heating and cooling are controlled by logic as are our ceiling fans and lights. We use motion detectors and sensors for occupancy and logic to determine what, if any, lights should come on and to what value.

I don’t know if our home is “smart” but we sure do enjoy the convenience.
                        Michael

Comment

Not so smart homes

Agreed, when I have to tap a switch, pull out my phone, or tell alexa to do something I know that I am missing something in my automation. These are indicators of control and I need to ask the question is this human behavior something I can automate triggering using a sensor.

Personally, I think of AI or some repository of common events and behavior patterns when I think of the term "smart".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My house may not be "smart" but I'd like to think its IQ is somewhat above average. Hopefully an IQ of over 100?

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
                              Dear Julia,

It came to my attention that in the past 4 days you have increased the number of bathroom flushes 28%. I suggest a doctor visit, or leaving your phone out of the bathroom.
                              To compensate for this excessive water usage, I have reduced irrigation on zone 3 (your tomatoes) by 6% for the next two weeks.

Regards,
                              House.
                              This got me laughing!
                              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
                              X