Russound Plugin Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russound Plugin Question

I have an alexa dot and Homeseer connected to my router vis an ethernet cable, in turn my OMNI Pro connected to router via and ethernet cable. My Russound CAV is connected to my OMNI panel via an RJ1. Before I buy the Russound plugin I wonder if mysetup can work without dragging a cable all over the house. Once installed, can I ask Alexa to "play tuner one in master bedroom" etc. and all the usual stuff you can do with a touch screen.

Thanks

You would need to cable from your HS machine to your Russound amp. I believe that the CAV offers serial control only. Unless the plugin for the OMNI can work with it, but I highly doubt it and it would certainly not offer a fraction of the functionality that BLRussound has. The combination of BLRussound and BLSpeech is unmatched by anything else I have seen in the home automation world. I can't answer your questions regarding the Dot as I myself do not use such a device.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Currently, I'm controlling my Russound through a PC access touch screen via an RJ11 cable coming from my OMNI panel into the back of the CAV system. Homeseer is controlling my centralite system in exactly the same way (RJ11).

I was hoping to do the same with Russound via that plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by spagettilegs View Post
        Currently, I'm controlling my Russound through a PC access touch screen via an RJ11 cable coming from my OMNI panel into the back of the CAV system. Homeseer is controlling my centralite system in exactly the same way (RJ11).

I was hoping to do the same with Russound via that plugin?

I'm not sure I'm following you. This plugin needs a COM port specified that goes directly to your CAV. I'm thinking that what you're wanting to do isn't going to work. It sounds like you're using your OMNI panel to control you CAV and this plugin won't work with that arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          I'm not sure I'm following you. This plugin needs a COM port specified that goes directly to your CAV. I'm thinking that what you're wanting to do isn't going to work. It sounds like you're using your OMNI panel to control you CAV and this plugin won't work with that arrangement.
          aahhh ok. I guess i'll need to do a bit of cable dragging then. Whats the best cable to use for this plugin?

Thanks!

Comment

I use a USB to serial adapter. Everyone seems to recommend one with a FTDI chip. That said if you're going a long distance a regular serial cable is probably advised. I know squat about serial cables.

Comment

Working...
            X