Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ZigBee] Who has the first PC controlling ZigBee devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ZigBee] Who has the first PC controlling ZigBee devices?

Who has the first PC controlling ZigBee devices?

How did you do it?

-What ZigBee hardware?
    (wall switches, appliance modules, sensors, etc)
    -What software?
    (HS2? )
    -What are the features?
    (monitoring? lightning control? security? etc.)

Thanks!
    bye
    DJ

Hardware - Maxstream XBee Series 2
    Software - Maxstream X-CTU & Visual Studio 2005
    Features - Nothing usefull, just starting out. Currently, a light detector is the only thing that I have and I'm not using that on a daily basis. Working on a blind opener / closer

Originally posted by DJF3 View Post
    Who has the first PC controlling ZigBee devices?

How did you do it?

-What ZigBee hardware?
    (wall switches, appliance modules, sensors, etc)
    -What software?
    (HS2? )
    -What are the features?
    (monitoring? lightning control? security? etc.)

Thanks!
    bye
    DJ

Comment

I'd like to hear from anyone else getting ZigBee working, as well. Control4 has a ZigBee thermostat that doesn't require (to my understanding) an external control box - just swap out the thermostat and you're done......

Comment

We used to get asked about support for Zigbee all the time but there's never been much hardware available to support and.... Since there aren't any *generic* PC interfaces available for the home market, there's been literally nothing for us to work with!

From all we've seen and read, it looks like Zigbee is destined to find its niche in the commercial automation space. There are a few products here and there (for the home) but these are largely proprietary implementations of the specification and interoperability between brands is an ongoing problem.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Zigbee is much different than very focused standards like UPB and ZWave. Zigbee is a very broad list of standards that are designed to meet many different applications. Because its so broad, MANY have to have a meeting of the minds before everyone is happy, and this takes time. Zigbee has been proceeding much more slowly than many had hoped, but it is moving forward. Until volumes can be high, prices will stay high, but I think you will eventually see Zigbee come on strong, but it will take years.

I'm friends with Bob Heile who runs the Zigbee Alliance, and we get together once or twice a year to discuss Zigbee status. I've been rather sceptical, but Bob says things are happening, and he has proof of it.

One other large factor has been chip cost. It hasn't dropped as fast as expected, and again its a catch-22. High volumes mean cheap chips but without cheap chips, you don't have high volumes.

So, its happening, but S.L.O.W.L.Y.

Comment

ZigBee Thermostats

Just to let everyone know. I live in Texas and my utility company has decided to offer free TStats (with a Digi X2 reciever) that allows for remote access to your TStats from anywhere on the web. The only catch is that the utility company can put your system in cycle mode should the load on the grid become to hot. I don't mind. Better that than a power outage.

I recieved my kit that included two TStats last week. They each have a smill ZigBee chip with a small antenna attached. So far, the manual operation of the TStats work great but I have yet to be able to control them remotely or get the Digi Box to communicate with the TStats. I am currently working with the power company to resolve.

If you would like to see more, Here is the link.

www.txu.com/ithermostat

Comment

Working...
            X